Are we too hard on people around here?

Toolate

Platinum Member
Just asking because, of all the forums I have ever joined, this place is the most "serious" occasionally about the oddest things IMO. Like newbie (I am still one but dont post most of what I want to...) posts about this and that or nothing to us slightly more experienced drummers. Or new thread started in the wrong section. Both are a little annoying or whatever but I do feel like some people are coming down a little too hard on the OP's sometimes.

I realize that there are people here posting multiple times a day and for whom this place is a way of life because I am one of them. The info I have gathered/knowledge learned here FOR FREE is just so far above and beyond what any musician had access to even 10 years ago and I am so thankful for that and I know I am a better drummer now than I would be without you all. BUT, I do think the occasional newbie post often gets attacked a little more than is appropriate given the possibility that the poster could be a young person and often is.

I am more of a lover than a fighter I guess. Wish I had the answers to all the questions. Thanks to those who help me now and then. Lets all try to play a little nicer.

(Someone please tell me to go F myself just for fun)

No, we're not too hard on people around here. Screw you.

Actually, yeah, I've thought that, too, now that you mention it. Fair point. Sorry for my rudeness - not sure what got into me. Old habits and all that.

Thanks for bringing up a point that's crossed my mind from time to time.

But, I hate lurve (thanks for the excellent word, Grea!) and virtual hugs all the time, so let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, okay? Let's save the public humiliations for those who've "earned" it first and lay off the newbs who may be reluctant to appropriately fire back at first (all in good fun, of course ;-).

It's a common theme on any addictive forum with really involved members... if they're looking for something fresh or exciting and all they find is the same old topics they get frustrated and they take it out on the OP.

Sometimes I think it's just a matter of sarcasm not translating through text.

I like to get MAD at people...

LOL!!!!

I think sometimes many get frustrated with the same questions and people not even trying to use the search feature to find an answer on common questions such as "what pedal should I buy, what's the best double pedal, what's your thoughts on xyz head or drum"

LOL!!!!

I think sometimes many get frustrated with the same questions and people not even trying to use the search feature to find an answer on common questions such as "what pedal should I buy, what's the best double pedal, what's your thoughts on xyz head or drum"

Why can't I tune? How much should I practice? Who is the best drummer ever?!

The answer to all of this is Mapex Saturn. We should know this by now.

I think there needs to be a balance of policing trolling behaviour/ spam posts while ensuring newbies (whose initial posts may be misconstrued) don't get caught in the crossfire.

This pretty much gets to the heart of much of it IMHO.

Bernhard politely asks every new member to read the FAQ. The vast majority of pitfalls of forum life are outlined there. It's a simple request that takes a whole nano-second of your time to do. Those that don't bother tend to be easily identifiable by their posts.....and incidently the same ones who tend to cop a bit of flak as a result. There is usually a reason some threads receive curt replies and I reckon for the most part they are all easily avoidable, regardless of age......if you can read your replies, you can read the FAQ and learn how to best approach the forum.

This pretty much gets to the heart of much of it IMHO.

Bernhard politely asks every new member to read the FAQ. The vast majority of pitfalls of forum life are outlined there. It's a simple request that takes a whole nano-second of your time to do. Those that don't bother tend to be easily identifiable by their posts.....and incidently the same ones who tend to cop a bit of flak as a result. There is usually a reason some threads receive curt replies and I reckon for the most part they are all easily avoidable, regardless of age......if you can read your replies, you can read the FAQ and learn how to best approach the forum.

There's a FAQ? I did not know this ;)

Unfortunately due to the awesome power of Mapex Saturn, they need not Drum Dials. In fact, should they ever meet they will cancel each other out and a void will appear more terrible than the minds of Men can possibly comprehend.

It's scary. I've been reading this forum so long, I understand why this is funny.

Back