sonic diff between clear snare resos & hazys

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Ludwig snares ship with a totally clear reso head. I think it''s brighter, but never did an A/B with 2 exact same drums. I think Evans equivalent is the genera glass (if memory serves)
Not sure if Remo makes a clear snare reso, only hazy AFAIK. Anybody ever care enough about this bit of minutia to have a preference?

Ludwig snares ship with a totally clear reso head. I think it''s brighter, but never did an A/B with 2 exact same drums. I think Evans equivalent is the genera glass (if memory serves)
Not sure if Remo makes a clear snare reso, only hazy AFAIK. Anybody ever care enough about this bit of minutia to have a preference?

REMO has always made a clear snare Reso... in three weights. The Pic below (Descript.) is marching-low collar.

DIP

AMB

EMP

Last edited:
On an irrelevant note, I had heard from someone that Danny Carey uses a coated resonant head on his snares. I tried that once, it was in my beginning stages of playing the drums. Honestly... wasn't a big fan.

On an irrelevant note, I had heard from someone that Danny Carey uses a coated resonant head on his snares. I tried that once, it was in my beginning stages of playing the drums. Honestly... wasn't a big fan.

A clear EMPEROR batter with the top ply cut off is one of my favorites for a snare side batter.

A clear EMPEROR batter with the top ply cut off is one of my favorites for a snare side batter.

No kidding? I would never have thought of that. How do you go about removing it? Just a good sharp razor blade?

No kidding? I would never have thought of that. How do you go about removing it? Just a good sharp razor blade?

Double ply heads get a second life.

A box cutter works. X-acto is too runaway sharp, unless you're 'really' experienced with them. You can round/blunt the tip of the break off box cutters (orange ones) for more safety.

Start at the center of the head, I've poked with a ice pick to start, if you have a break, start there. Cut, peel like an orange action. Don't try to rip it at the resin. Hold a peel away from bottom head and carefully cut at the resin line.

Back