Gavin Harrison here!

Hi miha,

a question regarding ambience microphones. I tried to use one my small diaphragm condenser mics (SE1A) as a room mic, but the audio from that track would just get lost in the mix. Well I didn't hear any difference (or I wasn't listening properly). How do you work with ambience microphones, what do you expect from them? Any suggestion for a good (budget) ambience microphone?

To have a good ambiance sound you need a good ambient space to capture. How big is the room you had the mic in and how far away from the drums was it? Ideally you need a stereo pair of mics.

Hey Gavin. My room is pretty small (5m x 3m). The thing is, when I use my cheap camera to record the video as well, the snare sounds pretty interesting on the recorded video, full and with natural reverb. When I record the drums with overhead and close mics (audix i5 on the snare), the snare is pretty flat compared to my camera mic (lol), although I'm reversing phases etc. So then I tried setting SE1A mic at the same location as my camera (around 3 feet behind my back to the left), to get the same effect, but no luck hehe. The track simply got lost in the mix.

Here are my two samples (same recording). One from overhead and close mics (no EQ, no effects) and one from my camera mic. Camera mic is producing some interesting reverby snare sound. I have no idea how to acomplish that with my drum mics (without excessive use of effects). Any advise would be appreciated. Cheers, Miha

View attachment mics.mp3

View attachment cam.mp3

:eek: this Vic Firth Slippin' Away video is nothing than outstanding! Great drumming Gavin.

Love this thunderous bassdrum and the hihat playing style.

Agreed...
Amazing to watch this video !

Lots of things happening (drumming wise) but with great taste.
Very inspiring, as always.

Cheers Gavin !

LG

Hello (again...) everyone,
Hello Gavin,

I finished the transcription of "The Start of Something Beautiful". Great Song !!
I'm not sure of the bars 20, 36, and 156. Can you confirm it's good... or not !

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5831/thestartofsomethingbeau.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7551/thestartofsomethingbeauc.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4691/thestartofsomethingbeaum.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/451/thestartofsomethingbeauclg.jpg
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7671/thestartofsomethingbeauh.jpg

I will post the transcriptions of "Open Car", and "Glass Arm Shattering" maybe next week.

Bye!

Alex P.

That's really good, I looked over it and it looks great. What program do you use to make these transcripts? I'm really interested in making some.

And of course Gavin, you are the man :)

Hi Toza,

how do you count 10, 11 and12?:)

10 I would count as two groups of five D t D t t D t D t t
11 would be D t D t D t D t D t t
12 could be three groups of four or two groups of six

Hi Alex P.

In "Glass Arm Shattering", how do you think of the tempo?
I mean, it's : 8th = 98 bpm or 8th = 49 bpm (approximately...) ?

8th = 98bpm

I finished the transcription of "The Start of Something Beautiful". Great Song !!
I'm not sure of the bars 20, 36, and 156. Can you confirm it's good... or not !

Thanks for th transcription - it looks great. I would say that in bars 20 and 36 there's not a double hit on the bass drum. The low volume one should not be there. The last four 16ths of bar 156 I would say is a flam on the tom then a bass drum, and then another tom flam and another bass drum.

Hi miha,

Here are my two samples (same recording). One from overhead and close mics (no EQ, no effects) and one from my camera mic. Camera mic is producing some interesting reverby snare sound. I have no idea how to acomplish that with my drum mics (without excessive use of effects). Any advise would be appreciated.

What you are hearing from the camera mic is a lot of compression. Some camera mics have "automatic record level" built in - and that means that it will record very quite things quite well - but when a loud thing appears (like a drumset) it will use a compressor to not distort the recording.

Hi Kongo

Any USA shows this year? Hopefully in the New York area

Yes there will be - but we don't announce them until they're confirmed.

cheers

Gavin

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but I thought I would post a video tribute to Gavin just to show how much of an influence he has been for me. Made this cover of Blackest eyes, because I love the drumming in it. I'm 18 and been drumming for 3 and a half years. Don't mind about the c-part (or whatever you call it) where I lose the count and mess up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlKuA9zDG4M

Pity youtube didn't provide me with the hq-option for this video.

Cheers,

Ilkka, Finland

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get an audition with a prog rock band called Coralspin, obviuosly apart from learning the auditon pieces, is there any other research, listening you would suggest I do? I have a fair amount of prog stuff at home, mainly Genesis, Spocks Beard, Also Eden and Porcupine Tree (of course).

Thanks,

Kev Cook

Hey Gavin,

finally i got your DVD's really enjoying them! Great stuff!
also i'd like to ask what the snare on the AS DVD is ?

thanks for your time!
B.

Hey Gavin,
I was wondering, well, I'm 90% sure you *can* sing in tune since you're a very musical drummer. While I'm very technical, I never got past rhythm when it comes to music theory, and while I can notice when things aren't sounding well tune-wise, I can't sing in tune or identify musical notes at all. It has been suggested by some of my bandmates that it would be really helpful to develop that aspect of music (apparently not so necessary for drumming, but that's what I'm asking!) It would be great to hear your take on the matter!
Another thing, I've spotted you switching to traditional grip in different footage, but you only seem to do it for a few seconds, do you play traditional, or do you just switch some times to get certain sounds for a particular fill or part?

All the best, Fox.

Damn you Gavin Harrison why does everything you can touch have to be so inspiring...and out of reach for this mortal drummer! Thoroughly enjoying the awesome live PT Ilosaarirock show at moment although If I had to list every jaw dropping moment I'd be here for ever (the start of Halo for example), great sounding gig and typically great playing from you.
Having had the luxury of hearing some of your forthcoming material I'll have to wait for my physical copy to arrive before asking a question or two. Thank you for the continuing inspiration.

Hi hairydrummer

I'm hoping to get an audition with a prog rock band called Coralspin, obviuosly apart from learning the auditon pieces, is there any other research, listening you would suggest I do? I have a fair amount of prog stuff at home, mainly Genesis, Spocks Beard, Also Eden and Porcupine Tree (of course).

Just do the homework and be yourself.

Hi Trains'

finally i got your DVD's really enjoying them! Great stuff! also i'd like to ask what the snare on the AS DVD is ?

The snare drum on that DVD is a Sonor 14x5 Black Steel with an EmperorX on the top and 8 strands of Puresound snare wires on the bottom.

Hi Fox622003

I was wondering, well, I'm 90% sure you *can* sing in tune since you're a very musical drummer. While I'm very technical, I never got past rhythm when it comes to music theory, and while I can notice when things aren't sounding well tune-wise, I can't sing in tune or identify musical notes at all. It has been suggested by some of my bandmates that it would be really helpful to develop that aspect of music (apparently not so necessary for drumming, but that's what I'm asking!) It would be great to hear your take on the matter!

I've always had an ear for picking out notes - I can sing a melody close enough that I can go and find it on a guitar or piano - but I don't really know how good my tuning and intonation as a singer really is. About 20 years ago I bought the Relative Pitch and Perfect Pitch courses of David L Burge. Whilst I found the Perfect Pitch stuff interesting - I didn't find it that useful. The relative Pitch was really worth it and I only wish I have done it as a kid. It does open your ears and make you listen in a different way - does it help with drumming? Kind of - because it made me realise that I could focus my ears in ways I hadn't imagined before.

Another thing, I've spotted you switching to traditional grip in different footage, but you only seem to do it for a few seconds, do you play traditional, or do you just switch some times to get certain sounds for a particular fill or part?

Yes because there are certain touch/bounce subtleties that I can only really get from trad grip...but 98% of the time I play matched.
cheers
Gavin

Hi Mr. Harrison!

Hope you are well.

I was just wondering what double pedals you use?
My second hand iron cobras are in terrible shape and I'm fed up with having to manage with them falling apart during gigs.

Also, one of my bands is soon to start recording its debut album - www.myspace.com/hakenmusic
I love your sound and was wondering whether you record drums for people other than yourself?

Cheers,

Ray

Man, if a pair of Iron Cobras are falling apart you'll have some serious trouble finding a double bass pedal that can stand more punishment than those. Maybe they weren't in very good shape when you got them in the first place?

Fox.

Last edited:
I second fox. There are few things in the world capable of sustaining more damage than an iron cobra. maybe military grade hummer....

Hi Gavin,

I have a few questions. Do you use Zildjian 20" K Ride cymbal when you
play "19 days" ? I thought that you use K Ride only at concerts. I am
just interested.
Do you ever use Constantinople cymbal, if so, what type is it? Would
you be so kind to write me what Ride cymbal do you actually use?
I would like to buy type Ride Zildjian as you have but not K Ride 20".
Thanks for your reply.

Cheers Matěj

Oh GAVIN!!! i was going to be able to see you in concert this september but i can't because ill have a band competition, oh woe is me.

but i really would like to see your drumming amazingness in person!

have a good day sir!

Back