R.I.P.: LOUIE BELLSON

Steamer

Platinum Member
Just putting the word out that one of the nicest people I ever met in my early developing years a truly wonderful and very musical drummer and first rate musician has passed. A real true guiding light in drumming is gone....

RIP Louie. You gave so much to music and everyone who had the fortune of crossing your path:

http://louiebellson.info/news.html

Re: Louie Bellson passes :{

Another drumming legend heading up to heaven :-(

RIP Louie. My condolence to his friends & family.

Only met the man once, but he was so nice.

He will be missed.

Luie_nick.jpg

I had tremendous respect for him as a person and a musician. He was one of the greatest of all time.

I remember first seeing Louie many years ago when I was young. He will be missed. A nice man and a great muscian.

A true inspiration, with his double kicks, RIP....

Great drummer. Great guy.

Thats the double kicker.

Not everyone can say that.

A true class act, he was the grand gentleman of drumming.

RIP Louie...

Louie was the greatest friend to my family and a performing colleague to both my father and grandfather. They were all together many times from the late 80s to the early 90s. Dad introduced me to Louie when I was a year old. I then promptly threw up on him, and he never complained /true story/. When I was 9, Louie gave me my first pair of sticks and changed my life.

My dad's band the Unifour Jazz Ensemble was one of the first groups to regularly play Louie's compositions. Dad says he was really never the same after the death of his long time wife and true soulmate Pearl Bailey. Now maybe he's back with her for good.

Geez, this is tough.

Last edited:

I had the privilege of seeing Louie Bellson perform in 1983 at a small club in Greenwich Village New York Called Sweet Basil's. It was a mind shattering experience! One I will never forget. The club was so small and our table was so close every time he did a mind blowing fill our drinks would shake! He must have known we were drummers because there were not to many 19 year old long hairs in the audience. After the performance we met him What a Gentleman ! He signed autographs and talked. Up until that time I was pretty much a rock drum guy. Needless to say he opened my eyes. May you rest in peace Luigi

A true legend. I met Louie several years ago at one of his clinics. He was a great inspiration to me and my chance meeting with him came along just when i needed it. As stated before, he was a class act, a gentleman and nice person. My condolences to Mrs. Bellson and family.

Louie was the greatest friend to my family and a performing colleague to both my father and grandfather. They were all together many times from the late 80s to the early 90s. Dad introduced me to Louie when I was a year old. I then promptly threw up on him, and he never complained /true story/. When I was 9, Louie saw gave me my first pair of sticks and changed my life.

My dad's band the Unifour Jazz Ensemble was one of the first groups to regularly play Louie's compositions. Dad says he was really never the same after the death of his long time wife and true soulmate Pearl Bailey. Now maybe he's back with her for good.

Geez, this is tough.

Thanks for sharing this. It`s incredibly tough definitly. Louie is such an inspiring drummer, so influential for generations. There has been this huge wave of joy and soul when he played, unfortunately I couldn`t experience him live.
His great voice won`t be forgetten.

May his soul and body rest in peace. What a loss. I couldn`t realize the Drummerworld announcement when I started my internet browser.

This needs some time for sure.

Karl

What a tremendous loss to the world. He was one of the best and a true gentleman in every sense of the word.

RIP Louis.

I certainly concur and ditto all that's been posted here about the great Louie Bellson.

Just a real heartbreaker to hear that he's gone. :-(

An absolute legend of drums he was/is, he was an even better man. And we all owe him a debt of gratitude for what he's down for so many.

So gifted, giving, and gracious. So long Mr. Bellson. And Thank You for all you accomplished throughout your stellar life and career. Well Done!!

RIP, LB

A very energetic 65 year old Louie Bellson with my father's Unifour Big Band playing the last movement of his East Side Suite. Late 1989.

http://www.thsmith.com/music/bigbands/04eastside.mp3

Poor sound quality. Someone in the audience supposedly copped this on a cassette player somewhere in either Baltimore or Philadelphia.

Still remarkable playing.

Back