Black Drum Heads?

VladTheLad

Hey guys..
I'm wondering which black skins to branch to next. At the moment I have Remo Ebony Pinstripes on my kit, but they just don't seem....right(?) to me..
Has anyone got any suggestions on some Black skins (14" Sn, 12-13-16" Toms)?
I saw a picture of someone's kit on here, and it had some black Evans skins on, and they looked nice haha.. I like Evans but does anyone know exactly what the black ones are called, and if so, any other companies who make them?

Thanks.

Theres the Remo suede ones, and the evans black ones i know of are hydraulics....which are awful heads for the drums.

I went through a black drum head phase....then realized that most of them sound like garbage, and they end up looking like junk way too fast

The Evans Onyx heads have a unique sound/response that people tend to be instantly attracted to when they try them. They're easier to get in tune and most other heads, they have great low-end response and a focused sound. I absolutely love using them on my 14x6.5" Tama Artstar snare drum.

Cheers!

Aquarian makes the classic clear , response 2, high velocity and high impact in black.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Remo Suede Ambassadors. The onyx, or black pinstripes, are pretty lifeless. But either way I would suggest not buying a drumhead solely because you like the way it looks. I have not heard an black Aquarian. I am sure if they have a single ply black, that its a pretty nice head. But that black carbon coating, on a 2 ply drumhead, with a muffling ring (which describes the Pinstripe) creates a head without much tone.

I've tried Evans Onyx heads in the past on my previous kit which was a yamaha stage custom advantage, not sure how they would sound on my Sonor 3007 which is maple. They have a slightly darker tone compared to say a G2 or equivalent. If you're into the thuddy, dead tone for rock or metal check them out.

Aquarian makes their Classic Clears and Hi-Frequencies in gloss black. They make their Reponse 2s and Jack DeJohnette models in coated black. The response 2s would be pretty close to a coated G2.

If you're into the thuddy, dead tone for rock or metal check them out.

Great! That would be exactly what I'm looking for haha..

I've never heard an Aquarian Head being played before, never mind each one. I guess I might have to start researching them.

I know I shouldn't go based on looks, but I'm so attracted to the black ones... The way they contrast with my kit, and the way they go with my black hardware, rims and lugs just looks amazing haha.

The Evans Onyx' sound great (as in, from what I've heard here), my favourite colour is Matte Black, but won't that be a bitch to keep nice?
Actual Matte Black paint chips easy and noticeably, I guess skins aren't the same?

Also, these 'Suede' skins... Are these actual Suede fabric heads?
...probably a stupid question to ask like haha

The hydraulic heads excel at that thuddy, thumpy sound. That's about all you can get out of them.
I have one for a small tom, and don't care for it much. But I've got one on a bass drum and love the thump it gives.

I never liked black drum heads on snares and toms purely from an aesthetic viewpoint. I know, I always preach about the sound aspects with anything, but to me it makes a kit look soulless.

Dennis

Back