Was this a false start by Bonzo?

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I was watching my Led Zeppelin concert DVD last night (one of my all-time favs), and I noticed that at the beginning of Whole Lotta Love, it seems that Bonham came in prematurely (about 7-8 seconds in). He then stops playing and comes back in when he did on the record version. Right afterward, Page looks over and appears to be laughing. Do you think Bonham meant to play that part on the snare? Or did he get overly aggressive and start too soon? Or just fooling around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_DOA2AL7Q

Page gives him a look that says "inside joke." So I guess it's either a mistake he made a lot with that song, or Bonzo was messing with him.

looks like an inside joke or something. when he comes in the second time its a completely different entrance.

doesn't seem like a mistake to me at all

looks like a bit of fun with a song that they had been playing for a very long time

a touch of the spice of life.... spontaneity

Sounded like he meant to do that to me.

I think he was probably just taking some liberties for fun at the time, but it did sound like he botched the end of it (missed the downbeat), so yeah, a little awkward ... but it's just rock 'n roll and it was a fun little diversion.

I guess I have the same opinion as everyone before me...I mainly just wanted an excuse to hear the man play!

Friggin awesome!

TBH, I think it was a brainfart on Bonhams part. It happens. Didn't wreck anything, and it's live R&R.

The tune out On The Tiles (among others) has a few miss cues (music & vocals), but they left them.
I asked Jason Bonham about that song, and that's what he said. Apparently, questions about that song comes up quite a bit. Recordings were done a LOT faster back then, and if something had a cool vibe, or it wasn't a disaster, it's "sounds good, on to the next".

Personally, I'd rather have that, than a band or artist taking 4 years to make a record, running it through pro-tools taking out all the character and personality.

This is a toughie. By definition, if it is your song- you are playing it correctly. That it might not be precisely the way you played it on the record, or last night, or will play it tomorrow, is not germane: it is your property to do with as you will. Now, taking liberties with a well-known song of your own may well get you some guff from some bandmates, fans, or critics. But at the end of the day, it is still your song.

The joy of doing original music is that you get to do original music. The downside, of course, is that people expect it to come out the same way each time. It is a painful conundrum... I believe that Bill Bruford pointed to that in his autobiography as one of the things he hated most about success in any context, and I'm sure that it was one of the things that led to him jumping bands so often, and finally hanging up the sticks for live work.

Can't imagine what Mick Jagger must feel when some wag yells "Satisfaction". I got roundly sick of some of our original songs with my most successful band, and it only lasted a few years. Played them however I felt like playing them in the moment, just the same...

Recordings were done a LOT faster back then, and if something had a cool vibe, or it wasn't a disaster, it's "sounds good, on to the next".

Personally, I'd rather have that, than a band or artist taking 4 years to make a record, running it through pro-tools taking out all the character and personality.
Yes, yes and yes!

I've seen Zep a number of times,as well as heard live cuts of their stuff throughout the years.Bonzo rarely if ever played the same exact thing twice.They constantly changed things up.

Not to say he didn't make a mistake,lose his place,change time or flub a fill here and there.No click tracks,and thats just fine with me.

These were raw, live and mostly,HUMAN performances,and by deffinition were edgy and flawed.But that's why I so LOVE, live music.Take the human quality out of it,and for me......you can keep it.

Steve B

Haha - Bonzo must have been a funny guy - that was outrageous. I've done tons of silly things to amuse or tease band mates but he really got in their face with that one. Naughty Bonzo!

this is a very interesting DVD for study.
The Knebworth parts.
At the beginning of the Knebworth show they open with Rock n' Roll. Bonzo looks so serious, almost distressed, maybe even angry, or ill, almost like he didn't want to go on?
check out at about 0:19 here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM5NkLnVzVY

he eventually comes around, check out drumming in Achilles Last Stand...spot on!

At the beginning of the Knebworth show they open with Rock n' Roll. Bonzo looks so serious, almost distressed, maybe even angry, or ill, almost like he didn't want to go on?

I'd use the word nervous. They were as nervous as they'd ever been....all of 'em.

Remember it was their first major gig for two years. Their "comeback" if you will. They weren't sure how they'd be received or if the fans would still think them relevant. They hadn't been sighted on any real scale since the US tour of '77 that was abandonded when Plant's son died.

Knebworth ended up being a triumph for them.....but at the beginning of that first number, they really didn't know how it would go down. It's little wonder you can see it in his face.

Every chance it was a mistake. First time on stage together in a couple of years.....no doubt they might have been a little rusty, regardless of prior rehearsals. But then again, knowing how they changed stuff up, there's also every chance he was just mixing it up a bit too.

Back