Vinnie Colaiuta

Hey I actually have a nice story about Vinne that everybody will certainly enjoy...

I was at one of his shows with Carizma in LA (that crazy fusion band you know...). They started playing and a minute into the first song the bass amp broke. No bass anymore. The whole band stops playing, Vinnie makes some silly jokes about bassplayers. After 5 or 10 minutes of waiting for a new amp the whole room seemed to become electrified. I don´t know if you know about Vinnie as a person, but I can tell you from 17 times that I saw him live (still have all the tickets and just counted them. Yes. I am a fan....lol) that he is OUT OF CONTROL. I mean as a person also - you know he just seems to be on fire all the time (making jokes, running from A to B on stage and back when he is doing clinics - freak! But in a very positive way!).
So after making jokes for a few minutes, he got a little stressed out and just started to play a solo. He was standing in front of his drums and played on cymbals only at first (he seemed to be wanting to entertain himself a little). But people yelled and applaused already so he just went for it and played a real solo until the amp was fixed (maybe 5 or 10 more minutes.). Then they went straight into the first song which was in 13/8. Later I found out that the whole freaking solo was also in 13/8 because I illegally taped it and listended back. Crazy guy.
But it is not the whole story: Another minute into the song Vinnie wanted to hit his huge China on his left side but missed it, because he was doing something else with his right hand and didn´t look to see where exactly it was. Now he became REALLY pissed: The next spot in the music that allowed for a big crash, he looked at the China as if he was going to kill it and then hit it so hard with his left hand (in traditional grip!!!) that the whole stand with cymbal attached to hit collapsed and fell to the floor with a big crash. The crowd went nuts, Vinnie smiled and everything was good. All while maintainig a 13/8 groove. Really crazy guy.

Man I just think that he is a natural talent and one of the very best drummers that this planet has ever seen. He is just into it very very deeply.

And the story goes on: Ralph Humphrey was in the audience (concert was at LAMA where Ralph teaches) and in the next class he asked everybody who was there: "Nice time signature that the first solo was in, right?" Ralph could recall that whole solo that Vinnie had made up and even remembered all tiny little Metric Shifts and little diddys that Vinnie had played. You might think that this is not that remarkable, but it is: There was a whole room full of drummers there (good ones) and everybody listened to that solo, but didn´t get it. Now Ralph walks into the room explaining everything about it and he had only heard it ONCE. We later on checked the things he said with my recording and it was all correct. Ralph just has BIG ears.... It was actually told me, that Vinnie once said, that the only person on this planet who truly can understand what Vinnie does in the exact same moment that he does it in, is Ralph Humphrey. Nice compliment I think.

sticktrick thats an incredibly amazing story! I wish i was there

I actually find this part of the story the most amazing... How does Vinnie, with his drum awareness, miss a cymbal?

Sticktrick said:
Another minute into the song Vinnie wanted to hit his huge China on his left side but missed it, because he was doing something else with his right hand and didn´t look to see where exactly it was.

Vinnie @#!$ing Coliauta

Watching this guy drum is so sick! He looks like he's about to throw up/burst into flames/explode sometimes and I just love it! A drummer who drums with guts if you ask me...and I'm sure there are countless threads about him but I don't see any on this first page so....tell me about a time you saw Vinnie, or perhaps a video of him that is just SICK!

This clip I have of Vinnie live in Tokyo (you can get it at house of drumming dot com) is a good start! Watch it if you haven't seen it yet.

Vinnie Colauita

Vinnie has POWER hand-foot coordination... and I like his style of traditional grip. His FEEL for the music is POW!!!
How i wish U can teach me Vinnie...
Anyone who knows of his his contact?
Haha... jus asking... ( Maybe u can send me a private message)

Re: Vinnie Colauita

Try www.vinniecolaiuta.com even though I don't know how often the site is updated.

If there would be such thing as "a best drummer ever", then I think that Vinnie should be it. He mastered all styles of music from fusion to heavy metal. He's a great groove drummer AND a fantastic "chops guy". His musical concepts are extremely advanced and his is an extremely musical drummer.

I don't of any other guy who has such a resume. All of those I can think of did not record in at least one genre. Vinnie did them all ! He even recently recorded with Megadeth !

I know that drumming is no competition but I think that Vinnie is the best all-around drummer ever.

There is not enough space in the universe for me to say everthing I love about Vinnie...One of my favorites ever...True master!

Vinnie is a great drummer and can definitely play in the moment (just ask Dave Weckl, BR concert '89) and has a great sense of how to make the music sound good. He has great time and as said before, play all styles and play them well. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

But for me, and crucify me for saying this, I've never cared for the sound of his kit, even the Gretsch. It's kind of thin to me. I think, God forbid, Weckl has a better sounding kit. But I would love to hear what Vinnie's kit sounded like with Megadeth.

Cuauhtemoc said:
Vinnie is a great drummer and can definitely play in the moment (just ask Dave Weckl, BR concert '89) and has a great sense of how to make the music sound good. He has great time and as said before, play all styles and play them well. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

But for me, and crucify me for saying this, I've never cared for the sound of his kit, even the Gretsch. It's kind of thin to me. I think, God forbid, Weckl has a better sounding kit. But I would love to hear what Vinnie's kit sounded like with Megadeth.

You say Weckl like it's a bad thing. Pretty much everyone agree that he has an incredible drum sound.

Re: Colaiuta on megadeth???

That's true! And he recorded it in three days....

And BTW: it is a great sounding album!

And for drums: listen to the song "Kick the Chair"!

And yes....did you know he also recorded a cd for the Backstreet Boys!!??? What was he thinking???????

Pedro said:

And yes....did you know he also recorded a cd for the Backstreet Boys!!??? What was he thinking???????

he was thinking how awesome the money would be from a gig like that, and how he's the only drummer cool enough to do backstreet boys, megadeth, faith hill, sting, chick corea, and all the other ridiculous amount of genre spanning stuff he's recorded on.

that would be my guess, anyway

Pedro said:

He was thinking that he needs to eat....I'd take the same oppurtunity if given the chance.

Vinnie's the man....no questions asked.

Yes; he did indeed do the drums for The System Has Failed. He did an excellent job too, it must be said. He truly is probably the single most versatile drummer out there today, his abilities in all styles is unmatched.

Pedro said:

He's thinking "Damn this paycheck is sweet! I think those 20" rims will look good on the Lexus, or perhaps I should get a new flat screen TV?"

Would you rather be playing on a Backstreet Boys album or working a day job? Hell, the guy probably does mostly cheesy jingles for Doublemint gum. I'd love to be in his spot.

Pedro said:

I want to know what he was thinking doing the Megadeth album! I mean, Vinnie's great. But... Megadeth? Ugh.

(Hoping you get my point, of course, not trying to start a flame war)

When I heard it from a friend I didn't believe it. After reading his discography I started downloading (legally of course(pfft!)). Such versatility makes his possiblities endless. He is indeed the man.

I listened to a few 30 second previews on i-Tunes music store. The drumming sounds like that of any virtuoso metal drummer playing metal their whole life. More proof that Vinnie can play any style flawlessly.

Indeed he is King of all drum kings as most ppl say!
I think his drum sound is good... the dynamic variation is obvious and cool!
But i still wanna comment on his left hand... looks kinda different! Most drummers play left traditional grip palms up but he plays it palm facing the sides, never ever he played palms up.
Is there a reason for this other than habit???

Above all these i just wanna add something..EVERYONE who watches vinnie playing, wants instantly to play just like him, by imitating his moves! :)
and i also want to say that he has the most gorgious and cool traditional grip i 've ever seen.He just grabs so nice the sticks!I am a great fan of him

Back