Magic wand

Magenta

Platinum Member
Leanne and I were talking about how wonderful it would be if our fairy godmothers waved a magic wand over us and we suddenly became gobsmackingly brilliant at something.

However, Leanne pointed out that if (with typical drummer's timing) said fairy godmother pitched up when you weren't expecting her and asked you what you wanted, you might choose something ridiculous, having been caught off-guard

So, what drumming gift would you choose to have, and what pointless, wasteful and distinctly unbeneficial gift might you end up asking for?

Me, I'd love to have the ability to sit at my drums and play all the creative stuff that goes through my head when I'm nowhere near my kit and vanishes like mist on a summer's day whenever I try to play.

In reality, I'd probably ask for an infinite supply of gin. Possibly intravenously.

My considered answer : indestructible joints that are unsusceptible to repetitive strain. Wrists and hips especially. No having to pace myself or limit my time playing, no stretching needed, and no aches and pains.

My impulsive answer: 12 beagle puppies. (I would soon regret that one)

My bonus musical wish: singing talent, instead of squeak squeak squeaking

I wanna be as good of a drummer as Terry Bozzio, Steve Gadd, Ralph Humphy, and Derrek Roddy all the same time. This way I have my chops, groove, odd times and double bass all covered.

Although if I really thought about it, I'd want to work in some singing and guitar playing ability in there too.

I wanna be as good of a drummer as Terry Bozzio, Steve Gadd, Ralph Humphy, and Derrek Roddy all the same time. This way I have my chops, groove, odd times and double bass all covered.

Although if I really thought about it, I'd want to work in some singing and guitar playing ability in there too.

Then you'd be like 12 feet tall with really huge hands ;)

Leanne and I were talking about how wonderful it would be if our fairy godmothers waved a magic wand over us and we suddenly became gobsmackingly brilliant at something.

First thing that came to mind for me was parenting. Shows where I am in the greater scheme of things.

So, what drumming gift would you choose to have, and what pointless, wasteful and distinctly unbeneficial gift might you end up asking for?

Musical memory- the ability to recall long and complex musical passages easily.

My considered answer : indestructible joints that are unsusceptible to repetitive strain. Wrists and hips especially. No having to pace myself or limit my time playing, no stretching needed, and no aches and pains.

I like that! I might ask for the ability to be and stay in the zone any time. Or I might ask to be able to spangalang at 300bpm if I wasn't thinking straight.

I'd prolly end up with a 12 inch pianist.

Haga!

People can say what they like about you, but you always bring a touch of much-needed class to proceedings, haga!

My impulsive answer: 12 beagle puppies. (I would soon regret that one)

I nearly went for "more cats", but I suspected that it would only make me wish I'd gone for the gin in the first place.

Or, you could just wish for Buddy Rich's ego.

I'd probably ask to have the fastest and most technical chops on the drums, after the mist had disappeared realised that i've put on 200lbs... The groove is in the fat!

Just FYI, I called in some favors and pulled some strings, and everybody who replied? Your wishes have been granted. Oh you still have to earn it, but your wishes have been granted.

If I was smart, I'd ask for an auto-refilling bottle of Fuller's 1845 and a re-set button for my liver.

But, I know I'd choke in the heat of the moment and blurt out something silly like, "world peace."

This!! The rest would all be up to me, which is as it should be.

I really want to be able to make a living playing what I want to play.

I'd probably ask for something that I think is more reasonable...like just playing.

Back