Steve Gadd Then and Now

Ed Pias

OK, so, I'm just thinking and wanting to know what you all think. When I was learning a lot as a young drummer, taking lessons etc...was in the late '70's and '80's. I was lucky that I had great drum teachers who exposed me to the great jazz drummers from Baby Dodds to Jack DeJohnette and everyone in between. Then I got into Steve Gadd, thru the Chick Corea recording of "Friends", then "Three Quartets" and then "Apple Juice" by Tom Scott, "Wine light" by Grover Washington, the Paul Simon movie and soundtrack "One Trick Pony", the band "Stuff", Steely Dan's "Aja" etc....basically the same as everyone else around me at that time. I became interested in the Evans hydraulic heads, K Zildjians and all that, I loved his sound and feel. His re-emergence with his own groups in the 2000's I love too, but its different. I have been re-listening to those older recordings of the Gadd Gang etc, and, I think that as much as the drum heads etc which to me anyway, helped define him, I think that, the way that those particular players "sounds" on their instruments worked with his drum sound, really helped to define much of that music...meaning....Eric Gale's guitar sound, in particular Richard Tee's fender rhodes, organ and piano sound, and the bass players, Eddie Gomez, Will Lee, Tony Levin, Gordon Edwards....and later Marcus Miller...I am now feeling that the way his drum sound was mixed and combined with those musicians, creating those rhythm sections...helped to forge much of that. It wasn't just the drums or his amazing drumming, but the combination of Maestro Gadd with those other players.....how they listened to each other and created not only a groove, but also a texture in their rhythm section sound. What do you all think? AND, how does your playing change when you play with different bass players, guitarists etc?

Take a listen to a solo album of Chick Corea's called "The Leprechaun" if you like Gadd.It will blow your mind.

BTW,Chick is a pretty good drummer himself.

Steve B

Thanks, I'm aware of the Leprechaun, Mad Hatter and My Spanish Heart, when making a quick list its easy to leave stuff out. I'm also aware of Mr.Corea as a drummer. I saw a concert in Boston with he and Jack Dejohnette and for the encore they switched and did a duo, Chick on drums, and Mr. DeJohnette on piano, it was great.

Back