I want to build a custom kit.

Rjmdrums

Hello, I have decided to build my own custom kit. I have been looking at a few different companies to get the Keller shells I want. I have been looking at drumfoundry.com, precisiondrum.com, drummaker.com, and drumgearonline. Has anyone ever used any of these companies to build a kit? Any preference as to thickness (6ply or 8 ply)? I am thinking of using reinforcement hoops too - any input?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Any preference as to thickness (6ply or 8 ply)? I am thinking of using reinforcement hoops too - any input?

With the greatest of respect, if you don't already know the answers to these questions then you are not ready to make a custom kit...

(Sorry)

Thanks for the input. Well noted...I guess the real question is...I have heard from different sources there are different grades of Keller shells and that different companies have better grades of wood than others. I was seeking input on whether or not anoyone has had any experience with purchasing raw shells and if they found a better quality product from a specific source.

I am looking to play a variety of music and want a kit with a deep tone. I really like the deep tone my friend's DW kit offers. He has the VLT shells all the way around. I love the tone - but can't afford the $4k price tag!!!

I have had several kits over the years and my experience has been, the thicker the shell, the deeper the tone. I was wondering if anyone else had the same exeperience.

Thanks again for the replies!!

Thanks for the input. Well noted...I guess the real question is...I have heard from different sources there are different grades of Keller shells and that different companies have better grades of wood than others. I was seeking input on whether or not anoyone has had any experience with purchasing raw shells and if they found a better quality product from a specific source.

I am looking to play a variety of music and want a kit with a deep tone. I really like the deep tone my friend's DW kit offers. He has the VLT shells all the way around. I love the tone - but can't afford the $4k price tag!!!

I have had several kits over the years and my experience has been, the thicker the shell, the deeper the tone. I was wondering if anyone else had the same exeperience.

I've experienced pretty much that the thinner the shell, the deeper the tone. On the custom kits that I've done, I really like 6ply Keller rack toms, and 8ply Keller floor toms. They get a real deep, punchy type of sound and they sound fantastic mic'd. BUT, it also depends on the edges that you do on the drums too. Do a lot of research on the subject before you start any projects. You can get a really fantastic tone out of a Keller kit, you just have to do your homework and take your time.

All other things being equal, a thinner shell will have a lower fundamental tone than a thicker one.

Vertical grain on a ply shell has the effect of lowering the tone slightly. This is due to slightly less rigidity and more rapid engagement of the reso head. Essentially, it's behaving more like natural wood than a cross laminated ply shell. Stave shells take that principal to a whole different level.

With the greatest of respect, if you don't already know the answers to these questions then you are not ready to make a custom kit...

(Sorry)

If you or any one is interested in building a custom kit I just finished getting a full semester class put together in the fine wood working department of RRCC in Golden Colorado Fall 2012. I dont know if this is against the forum's "business venture/advertising clause" But i wanted to announce it to some one as I'm very excited. The class will cover keller shells, bending and molding your own ply shells, vacuum veneering, spray lacquering and a variety of other professional topics. If you ever wanted to know how to do anything now is your chance.

Look also at www.amdrumparts.com They will do the drilling and bearing edges for free if you buy the shells and the hardware from them. Depending on your skills this may come in handy.

Back