Oak sticks - bad for your hand?

XG65

So I had a 2-hour practice session yesterday... After the session was over, I find it very painful and difficult to use my hands and the pain is still there up until now.

I use a pair of TAMA 5B Traditional Series drumsticks, which are made out of oak. I only move my wrists and lower arms while playing.

I'm not sure whether it's because of the stick or my grip and/or playing technique. I do know that oak sticks don't absorb much shock, so if anyone could somehow figure this out, I would gladly appreciate it.

The quick way to see if it's the stick or not is to try another pair of sticks that aren't oak.

I suspect it might be the stick. I've heard of people with issues using oak sticks in the past. I have a pair that I practice with sometimes and I do notice that I have more fatigue after using those than using hickory sticks.

The quick way to see if it's the stick or not is to try another pair of sticks that aren't oak.

I suspect it might be the stick. I've heard of people with issues using oak sticks in the past. I have a pair that I practice with sometimes and I do notice that I have more fatigue after using those than using hickory sticks.

Hmm. That'll be kind of hard; there's only one music store in my area (the one where I got my TAMA 5B's from). But I'll try. Any stick recommendations for me?

I use Pro-Mark 5A Oaks, and never had any problems. I break hickory sticks too quickly. I probably just play too hard though.

Try any Vic Firth or Pro-Mark or Zildjian or whatever...Hickory drum stick.

I use oak sticks for practice pad work and in sessions where I need a more defined tone and I'm not playing for long periods of time. I need hickory for gigs because oak does indeed transfer more energy to your hands and will fatigue you faster than an equivalent-sized hickory or maple stick. I prefer the TONE of oak however, which is why I generally will use them for sessions. Oak is heavier and denser so there is no doubt they could be rougher on your hands playing an hour set or more.

As mentioned, the oak is denser and therefore heavier, so with those heavier sticks of yours, any improper technique will be more likely to be less forgiving. I use Pro Mark 5A nylon tipped oak sticks, and have no issue with them. Try something else, and see how it works out for you. The problem might be the size of the stick even. Try downsizing stick size, or trying something new.

Cheers, and good luck!

Are oak sticks bad for your hands? I don't know. A friend of mine has been using them for years, with apparently no issues. I tried them years ago, and I didn't like the feel at all, plus I noticed a mild case of hand fatigue and soreness which I had never experienced before after some long rehearsals. I ditched the oak, stuck with hickory (and maple once in a while), and have been fine ever since. Some just seem to do fine with them, while others have issues. Maybe you're just in the latter group.

I use promark Japanese white oak 5B's and I love them, no issues for me, I can go long practice sessions and gigs with no worries.... I like their strength,weight, and feel plus I hardly ever break one, and I don't play pretty aggressively !! I play blues, rock, and originals in a working band :)
Peace

Might be a little to late, but my all time favorite pairs are the Vic Firth 8DN and the Vic Firth SSGN (Signature Steve Gadd Nylon). Have fun and drum on. LRLL RLRR!

Oak sticks have been popular for decades.

Players like Neil Peart and many others have been using them for a long time.

If Oak was bad, they wouldn't be so popular.

I did use Pro Mark Japanese Oak 5Bs a few times a number of years back, but I did indeed notice far more hand and wrist fatigue compared to the hickory sticks I had been using. I think it has a lot more to do with the transfer of energy through the stick, rather than being absorbed by the stick.

That being said, with my far better technique these days, it might be a totally different story.

Back