Getting a nice thud out of toms

drumr_102

What's a good head this type of sound?
I hate to try and mimic other drummers too much, but I really like the sound of Travis Barker's toms and because I won't be getting a custom OCDP anytime soon I was hoping someone had some suggestions on heads that will get me closer to this.

here's a link to a video of Travis' kit. He does a nice floor tom beat on the verse to give a better idea of the sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQn2JsahXx0&feature=related

Edit: I'd still like nice resonance at the same time.

Last edited:
Listening to that video, "thud" is not how I would describe his tom sound. It's a low, throaty, resonant sound. Uniin is correct, start with a good 2 ply head, probably Emperors or G2s over Ambassador or G1 resos. Trick is, start out with a higher tuning than you think you need (tune just above wrinkling, then just a bit higher).

From behind the drumkit it may sound very ringy and high-pitched. But those two qualities help it project through guitar mixes and sound similar to that in the audience. Besides which, from a wide open sound, you can muffle if needed. From a closed, muffled sound, you can't open up.

If you absolutely need to hear that sound from where you're sitting, throw an O-Ring on your tom batters. They are fortunately removable.

I can do tuning :)
I'll have toy with it a bunch and see what i can get.
Thanks!

Back