My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)

Piebe

sdc11901q.jpg

sdc11900e.jpg

sdc11899w.jpg

sdc11898x.jpg

These cymbals grow on me by the day, i love 'm so much that i just had to make a few pictures to share with you who have the same passion. They sound just as bright like they shine, check the attachment for an audio clip. The ride has so much characteristic and a body that almost sounds like a bass tone.

Attachments

• 18-11 jamming to metronome.mp3
    7.5 MB · Views: 311
welcome to the Istanbul family

gorgeous pies brother

...hey Grunt....your avi and my sig look real sweet together :)

Thanks for the nice replies that makes me love them even more!

My ex-girlfriend is a teacher and her old school (on Guernsey) got hold of a pair of Mapex Meridian Birch sets with Samatya cymbals. I came in to help clear out the department and promptly sat in front of the new kit. I was very happy with how they played and how they sounded. They're nice and versatile, well made and visually appealing. Definitely a good buy.

Thanks for sharing that. Always nice to have a witness of something we like. The cymbals keep growing on me! :)

Yeah both Istanbul branches make beautiful lower price level cymbals. I like the Samatya
ones too, and the Alchemy ones (by Agop) as well. ..... well maybe a bit better :).
I never heard the Alchemy Agop cymbals but they sure look nice too!

Congrats to your cymbals.
I've modded many cracked cymbals (mostly into bells), with a 14'' Istanbul Mehmet and 18'' Istanbul Samatya China among them - I've modded them to bells, too. Even as heavily cracked as it came the china sounded superbly when I tapped it, it was evident they're using top material. In retrospect I should have modded the china into a splash, not into a bell. Damn, what a waste...

Congrats to your cymbals.
I've modded many cracked cymbals (mostly into bells), with a 14'' Istanbul Mehmet and 18'' Istanbul Samatya China among them - I've modded them to bells, too. Even as heavily cracked as it came the china sounded superbly when I tapped it, it was evident they're using top material. In retrospect I should have modded the china into a splash, not into a bell. Damn, what a waste...
Thank you for your reply, but i have to admit it made me quiver a bit since it can also mean they easily break. I suspect if that happens to me dark clouds would come over my head. Do you suggest i insure them? ;)

As we all know, all cymbals (can) crack. And they crack mostly because of pilot error/hitting them too hard/wrong, sometimes due to manufacturing issues. I assume you know how to handle them so I wouldn't worry. Plus, thin cymbals tend to sound great (from my limited experience) so once again, I think you're going the right way.

I suggest if they crack - send them over to me, I'll send you 5 Euros (and either "repair" them or modify them into anything useable), haha. Just kidding, I'll send you 10 Euros ;-)
[Honestly I'll be glad to help you with repairs/modifications if wanted/needed.]

Here's that china as it came - that pic is just to shock you, haha. But it's true, that material is quite thin.

Attachments

• Istanbul Samatya China cracked.jpg
    Istanbul Samatya China cracked.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,725
As we all know, all cymbals (can) crack. And they crack mostly because of pilot error/hitting them too hard/wrong, sometimes due to manufacturing issues. I assume you know how to handle them so I wouldn't worry. Plus, thin cymbals tend to sound great (from my limited experience) so once again, I think you're going the right way.

I suggest if they crack - send them over to me, I'll send you 5 Euros (and either "repair" them or modify them into anything useable), haha. Just kidding, I'll send you 10 Euros ;-)
[Honestly I'll be glad to help you with repairs/modifications if wanted/needed.
Luckily at this point my cymbals are fine, but if i do smash 'm into sudden death i will look you up! We are neighbors at least, so be careful what you promise!
Here's that china as it came - that pic is just to shock you, haha. But it's true, that material is quite thin.
Dear goodness, i covered my mouth when i saw that. Was that the result of Donkey Kong playing the drums?

Still very happy with my cymbals after a couple of months playing them so much that the paint is starting to wear off. So, those of you considering to buy this set: you will not be disappointed!

Looks pretty nice!

I just got myself a really thin Istanbul Mehmet Traditional 20" ride a month ago, to use as a crash.
It has now officially become my favourite cymbal!
To my ears it's like butter made out of diamonds, I tell you

Looking at a pic of a cymbal is like listening to a recording of a painting. Just saying lol.

Back