DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:08 AM

Default how to give a 3 yr old direction on drumming

i have 3 yr old.. that is a pretty good drummer..fo rbeing only 3..and never having a lesson in his life..
wondering if anyone has any advice or direction on what to do.. or maybe a good drum teacher that has experience with a talented 3 yr old.. if anyone is curious.. just go to youtube.com type in Julian Ramos created by renster47.. as his father..im proud of him.. but i want to help him evole more.. hopefully someone has some good advice for me.. thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/W6ub3yW_01I

Last edited by jd beats; 04-30-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: how to give a 3 yr old direction on drumming

i think you just let him hit the drums....unless he has the desire to practice certain things other than what he likes

this kid will definitely be a good drummer if his interest stays
Old 04-30-2011, 03:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Bringing the concept of disciplined playing into the equation this early on may be detrimental.

I think you should encourage him with playing creatively and let him to do his own thing for now. Maybe try and show him a few things yourself first and see how he responds.

I reckon most kids his age would take lessons and structured learning as a restriction and rule enforcement and may start to resent the instrument.

Creativeness and fun should just be encouraged for now. It's still early days..
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 AM

thanks for the advice.. he def. has interest in lessons. his step grandpa was in from fll. and gave him a few lessons.. basically.. he taught him a different grp and a basic beat to practice.. "left, left, right, right" and thats al he has been doing lately.. just wondering id u get to check ouy the video on youtube?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

This is a video of my little guy, he just turned 4

Normally he half stands and plays my kit, this is the first time he tried this set up, I put it together in a few minutes, and he is hittin the pedals, you can see he has the 1234 on the toms. I never push him, he watches me and goes down whenever he wants. Now he sits on this little kit while I play in the drum room beside him. It will naturally soak in.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Until they're maybe ten years old, it has to be all about fun or it won't last.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Gold Member

If you haven't already maybe have him play along with his favorite song..theme to sponge-bob or something...most of all make it fun!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:59 PM
wy yung

Teaching little kids can be an amazing experience. It can also be hard. For example, last night a mother dropped off a crying 5 year old who proceeded to cry for the 30 minute class. All I could do was wipe his tears and rub his back. No drumming took place.

And then today I had a 3 year old wear me out within 20 minutes!

You have to be flexible.

The little boy today demanded drum lessons from his parents. He is keen. I use the Drumming from top to botttom infant edition. This is an easy to understand book full of cartoons and large notation. I take time explaining how to count, what notes are and the various combinations. I will then point the stick at, say, a hi hat and kick notation and ask the child to play it. Then continue in this slow pace. There is no hurry.

I also watch the child's concentration carefully. When reading becomes a chore, we "go crazy" and solo. The child is then free to simply bash. I will offer various rhythmic devices within this and look out for what the child picks up. I am oftem amazed at the result. For example, I played a guaguanco for 20 minutes with a 3 year old and the way the child naturally played off the rhythm blew me away!

As for kids younger than 10 focusing on playing? I had a 10 year old teach a 40 minute class today as part of his growth, and he handled it like a pro. Great player too. He's 10. And an 11 year old student of mine was recently playing stadiums in the US, live on Japanese TV and was featured on CBS and on the cover of Life magazine.

Bottom line: don't underestimate children and be prepared to adapt.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Hey there! Thought I'd share some of my experience as I do percussion workshops with a local music charity and a lot of my work is with primary school children (mainly key-stage one). I've found you can teach the students quite a lot in terms of solid content as long as it's fun, the early primary/kindergarten age group is interesting to teach because you try to make them unaware that they're "learning" and what I mean by that is wrapping up lessons in the guise of a game, where they have lots of fun but also end up learning new skills without realising it.

If you can find some fun ways to teach your son some basic rhythms then that will build up a passion for the instrument, which is the most important thing when it comes to music. I wouldn't worry too much about rudiments or anything like, I've found that the bare basics will stimulate a pupil, I myself get a lot of mileage out of: counting, quarters and eigths (Ba's and Ba-Ba's in my workshops aha) and even as far as dynamics and rests.

Some of that content is dictated rhythms and some of it is also letting them create their own rhythms, that's an important point to stress as lettting them create their own part is also really important because it gives them that sense of ownership on what they're doing.

Got a rehersal in half an hour so I'mma have to shoot.

Hope all goes well!

Kev
Old 04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Gold Member

Who's that 11 year old drummer on the magazine cover?
Would love to see him play. It's fascinating with young people mastering their
instrument and playing like a pro, especially with drums.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:18 PM
wy yung

The boy on Life is Yannick Kofi. He's a multi instrumentalist. He has been the world's youngest Fender endorsee. Ace bass player. He plays bass, keys, guitar, saxophone and drums. I mainly taught him how to read and drums. Reading was our main focus. He has a website.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Easy. Get a cat o' nine tails and beat the little **** whenever he makes a mistake. When he's not drumming, you can force em' to sew clothing in your basement for free that you can sell until he starts making you money as a rock star. It's a win-win. You win when he drums, and you win when he's not drumming.

I think that about covers the question.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 AM

That's awesome that he already has the desire to learn. I can't tell you how many kids I teach who have no interest in practicing and getting better. If you think lessons would help him along then go look for a teacher in your area. It's going to be tough to find one who can teach a student that is that young, but they are out there. My old teacher had a very young kid taking lessons. But also you might want to wait a bit to have him develop on his own a bit more. It may be fun to hit things now, but when you start trying to actually teach him beats, and are throwing numbers at him, that will probably be going over his head at this point. I'd probably let him just play for the time being, and would start lessons when he is a bit older. However if you want to get him in lessons now, I may make them short and not very often, like maybe twice a month.