Does Yamaha dtx500k support 3 zone cymbal?

Yes but not all cymbals are three zone..I believe the ride and one crash are three zone capable…the other crash is not..

But there's only 1 cymbal for the yamaha dtx500k... and what if i use a splitter for the 2 cymbals

Not sure what you're saying with the first part of your statement..the dtx500 as far as I know comes with two cymbals (ride and crash)...as far as splitting goes..generally speaking, if you spilt a signal you lose something on both (i.e., a dual zone turns into two single zones)...I guess you might be to have two duplicate dual zone cymbals (i.e., same cymbal sounds through two cymbals), but not sure on that...

The DTX500 module seems to support a three zone ride and a two zone crash. That's what I get with my DTX535K. The drum kit DTX500K comes with single zone ride and single zone crash that look like pie slices but you can buy a three zone ride cymbal separately and it will work when you plug it in.

Are you sure i will lose the 3 zone if i split the cymbal? Because i read in another forum that the 3 zone will work on both cymbals when using the splitter.

Are you sure i will lose the 3 zone if i split the cymbal? Because i read in another forum that the 3 zone will work on both cymbals when using the splitter.

If you split using mono cables then yes I'm sure..however, when you do that you will able to have different sounds from each cymbal...if you use two stereo cables (split), you might be able to have three zones (from one input) for two cymbals, but they both will have the same sounds...that's what I was trying to say earlier...the only way to split and have different sounds is to really split the signal...what you wanting to do is duplicate the signal..which I believe can be done, but signal will be the same for both cymbals...

Last edited:
aznbennet: you should probably download the manual from Yamaha and take a look.

This is from page 9 of the manual (formatting was lost):

'...1SNARE ..................... Compatible with three-zone pads and the pad
controller.

2TOM1/ 0, 3TOM2/ !, 4TOM3/ @, 8KICK/ 9
.............................. Mono x 2 inputs

A Y-shaped cable (stereo plug—mono jack x
2; refer to the illustration below) can be used to
trigger inputs 9, 0, !, and @(monaural
pad).
Also, if the KP125W/125/65 kick pad is
connected to this jack with a stereo cable, the
external pad input jack on the KP125W/125/65
can be used as the input for input jacks 9, 0,
!, or @.

5RIDE, 6CRASH ..... Compatible with three-zone pads.

7HI HAT ..................... Compatible with stereo pads (with switches)...'

From what I can tell, the 500 module does not support the "muting" technique; otherwise, it will support the 3 zones.

Hence, pinching the cymbal with your fingers will cut the sound off, or generate different sounds. If you watch the 700K video on the Kraft Music web site, you will see what I mean.

I have attached the Pad Module Compatibility PDF that I got from Yamaha's web site. That may help you figure out which module can accept what pad and what it can do with that pad.

Attachments

• PadModuleCompatibility_Table_en.pdf
    60.5 KB · Views: 224
From what I can tell, the 500 module does not support the "muting" technique; otherwise, it will support the 3 zones.

Hence, pinching the cymbal with your fingers will cut the sound off, or generate different sounds. If you watch the 700K video on the Kraft Music web site, you will see what I mean.

I have attached the Pad Module Compatibility PDF that I got from Yamaha's web site. That may help you figure out which module can accept what pad and what it can do with that pad.

You mean cymbal choke? You can do that on a DTX 500 module, but maybe not if it has the single zone pie-slice cymbals that come with the DTX500K kit.

You mean cymbal choke? You can do that on a DTX 500 module, but maybe not if it has the single zone pie-slice cymbals that come with the DTX500K kit.

No ... I mean "mute". The PDF in the post (or two) below references it for the 700 and 900 modules, but not for the 500.

Also ... if you go to the below YouTube ... at around the 2 minute 20 second mark (and for the next 25 seconds or so), he talks about the "muting" that the cymbals can do.

http://youtu.be/6f6AA0urNVo

I don't work for these guys ... but hearing and seeing is a lot better than me trying to type and explain.

Edit:

For the 500K video, muting is not mentioned or demo'ed. Again, the PDF for pad compatibility does not reference it for the 500 module either.

Oh I see. Yes I confirm that no muting occurs when you hold the cymbals on a 500 and play them. It must be feature for the 700 and 900 only. I don't miss it though, and I never play a choke either, although I do have that ability.

What if i buy 2 3zone cymbals? will i be able to get 3zone on each cymbal with the splitter?

The 500 module supports a three voice snare, ride and crash.

If you split one of those inputs, you would probably just end up with two single voice instruments.

The 500 trigger module has a 3 voice snare, 3 voice ride and 3 voice crash. It also has 3 tom inputs which are dual single/mono voice. Hence, from what I understand, with one tom, you can assign any sound to it; hence single/mono voice. With a Y adapter, you could have two toms to one input, with the ability to assign each tom its own voice.

I am not sure what would happen if you put a Y adapter in the snare, ride or crash inputs. I would think the trigger module would behave like the tom inputs. If you did that with the crash input for example, by default, the 500 probably things a crash is plugged into it. If you threw 2 toms on that input, you would probably have to setup/configure (via the menus) the 500 accordingly and assign the voices you wanted to each tom.

Yamaha's web site is your friend. There are all sorts of manuals and PDFs there. Below is the link to the KP65 kick pad. Again, on the Support tab is the PDF for the manual. If there is a Yamaha dealer near you, I say take a field trip one Saturday and drill them too ;)

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/el-drums/kick-pads/kp65/?mode=model

Edit:

The kick pad manual is in a gazillion languages all mushed together ... so it can be a little challenging ... good luck!

Back to "muting" ...

If you look at the Yamaha Europe web site:

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/drums/el-drums/comparison/

... it appears that the 500 module DOES support muting; at least according to the pictures.

The pad compatibility table however clearly says it does not. "thebarak" seems to also confirm that it does not with his kit.

Perhaps the European version of the 500 trigger module supports it, but the US version does not?

In the end it may not make that much of a difference ... but I thought I would at least pass the information and findings on ... to confuse you even more ;)

It looks like here if muting is important to you, you would have to go and try it out yourself at a store.

Back