Can someone explain this shuffle to me

This is the groove from 1:15. He keeps the same sticking in the followin couple of bars.
espositoshfle.jpg

You beat me on this one, I was just about to write that out, haha.

:)

BTW:

The "Dennis Chambers Shuffle" is something different and works like this:

Single strokes played as triplets starting with the left hand on the HH. The right hand plays every second stroke on the RC-bell and thus creating a feel of 4:3. The Backbeat on 2 and 4 fall on the left hand. Quite easy actually - but really nice idea.

The BD can play any type of Shuffle pattern underneath.

This is the groove from 1:15. He keeps the same sticking in the followin couple of bars.
espositoshfle.jpg

Great! Thanks. Do you think you could transcribe the next minute or so, with the fill and fast licks? (Up to about 1:45ish) I can't work out what he's playing, but it sounds good. Maybe just the basic pattern or lick/fill that he works with?

Also, what is the groove starting at about 2:22? I think it's some kind of paradiddle groove, but I can't figure it out. I'm so bad at this?!

"The "Dennis Chambers Shuffle" is something different and works like this:

Single strokes played as triplets starting with the left hand on the HH. The right hand plays every second stroke on the RC-bell and thus creating a feel of 4:3. The Backbeat on 2 and 4 fall on the left hand. Quite easy actually - but really nice idea.

The BD can play any type of Shuffle pattern underneath."

NICE! I like simplicity. Thanks for BTWing that SR.

Today I start on getting the coordination together for that 'Rosanna' type groove now that I understand the sticking. Can't wait to get pissed off, drop my sticks, swear drums off for life, ya' know what I mean! ... lol.

I've always loved that video of Evan!

I was going through a bunch of the drum off videos a year or two ago, and that one definitely stood out to me. Even now, I still go back and watch that particular video sometimes, just to try to pick up a few things from it.

And that groove has got to be one of the greatest ever!

Yes...or HH and snare.

The two right hands is just a double stroke. When I first started playing this, I'd play it really slowly and initially got the feel of it by playing it LRR LRR. Once I had that down I changed it to start on the R hand with the left ghost making up the middle note of the triplet, as per MJ's explaination. RLR RLR

Hey guys, just a follow up to let you know I have appreciated your comments regarding helping me with the 'shuffle'. After several, and more several, failed attempts at the groove the comment Pocket made regarding the right stick being 'just a double stroke' kept coming to mind. I visualized and walked around the house all day yesterday with the groove running through my mind, knowing with a little patience I'd get it.

Well, the thought occured to me this morning (sorry about this being a bit off topic to the reason of this thread, but it does relate) to put 'Rosanna' on and give the sticking a try with the music. WHAM! There it was in all it's groovyness glory. At first my right (hh) arm nearly fell off after only a few bars and the ghost lacked ghostlyness :). I was all tensed up! But after a couple of run throughs I relaxed and before I knew it it all came together, including the bd. Cool! Now I just need to practice it to nail the details and sublties of the groove at an 85bpm tempo.

Thanks for the topic MJ.

Oh yeah... Crazy, who's Evan?

"The "Dennis Chambers Shuffle" is something different and works like this:

The BD can play any type of Shuffle pattern underneath."

NICE! I like simplicity. Thanks for BTWing that SR.

Today I start on getting the coordination together for that 'Rosanna' type groove now that I understand the sticking. Can't wait to get pissed off, drop my sticks, swear drums off for life, ya' know what I mean! ... lol.

Hi there, I've been reading the posts here and, well, I don't understand how you can call the DC shuffle "quite easy" but have such trouble with the half-time shuffle concept???? Didn't really seem to make sense but wouldn't be the first time I've misunderstood something said here. Getting through these grooves a few times in the practice room is one thing, but it takes a loooooong time to develop a solid shuffle like this.

If THIS video is EASY for you, you are one hell of a badass and my hat's off to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kSA7h0j3I

peace

Hi there, I've been reading the posts here and, well, I don't understand how you can call the DC shuffle "quite easy" but have such trouble with the half-time shuffle concept???? Didn't really seem to make sense but wouldn't be the first time I've misunderstood something said here. Getting through these grooves a few times in the practice room is one thing, but it takes a loooooong time to develop a solid shuffle like this.

If THIS video is EASY for you, you are one hell of a badass and my hat's off to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kSA7h0j3I

peace

He was quoting me in his post, so I was the one who said it was quite easy.

Yes: I do think that playing this groove and getting it together is quite easy. Playing it like Dennis?? Helluvadifferentstory. Nobody plays it like Dennis.

He was quoting me in his post, so I was the one who said it was quite easy.

Yes: I do think that playing this groove and getting it together is quite easy. Playing it like Dennis?? Helluvadifferentstory. Nobody plays it like Dennis.

Yo Jiva... ok, I see SR has corrected the misunderstanding. But, I thought the way he descibed the DC shuffle made it clear that it was an 'easy' sticking to comprehend, yet maybe not so easy to 'master'. Basically I got the Ros... shuffle in a day... but mastered??? No way.. Not even hardly! Not even a little of nothin'! Are you kidding? Forget about it!!!! Hey... but with time, patience, and practice (including Larryaces philosphy of needing to 'sing' it before playing it) these kinda' things usually come together and all becomes good again :). Tomorrow I'll give SR's interpretation of the DC shuffle a try, and just assume I'll again be throwing sticks, fits, and tantrums as usual.

I know Evan from Pearl Drummer Forum and when he did that GC drum-off performance, he already have showed us some of his solo part and to really explain what Evan did was Porcaro (rosanna) shuffle but instead, he doubled the second ghost note of the triplet which makes it even harder. Evan is an unknown beast behind the kit.

I know Evan from Pearl Drummer Forum and when he did that GC drum-off performance, he already have showed us some of his solo part and to really explain what Evan did was Porcaro (rosanna) shuffle but instead, he doubled the second ghost note of the triplet which makes it even harder. Evan is an unknown beast behind the kit.

I haven't hardly had any time this last week to take the Porcaro/Purdie/Chambers shuffle' from the pad to the drums, hopefully mid-week if things go as planned. But what's odd to me is the fact that as I've worked somewhat on the sticking (on the pad) I've been doubling the ghost without intention. It'd seem a minor conversion to convert my bad into what Evan did with intention. hmmm...

Back