Renown and New Classic Question

incrementalg

Gold Member
Hi all,
I don't want to start another Renown Vs New Classic thread, but I do have a question for those with experience playing or owning both lines.

I like the fat/wet tone of the Renown line and I like the more woody tone of the New Classics. If I could find a middle ground between the two, I'd be thrilled. My quesiton is this: Can the middle ground best be acheived by using different heads on the Renown or by using different heads on the New Classic? Or, do you think I can get there with either kit and some time spent tuning?

I've played both, but the heads were different, the playing time limited in noisy music stores and poorly tuned heads. The NC I played had Evans single ply coated and the Renowns had the Evans 2 ply clear. I liked them both a lot...if only I could strike a middle ground soundwise.

With different head combinations, will the NC get me closer to the middle ground or will the Renown?

BTW, a couple of drum shop sources have said they expect Gretsch to change or discontinue the current NC soon. Expect some closeout pricing on NC in the coming months. Initially, I was focused on only the Renowns, but the possibility of closeout pricing on the current generation NC has me thinking about those too.

Thanks for your input!

There is a compromise. It's the USA Custom. Unfortunately, mortals such as you and I cannot afford such divine instruments.

There is a compromise. It's the USA Custom. Unfortunately, mortals such as you and I cannot afford such divine instruments.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing. There's a beautiful USA custom set at a nearby shop.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing. There a beautiful USA custom set at a nearby shop.

Whenever someone tells me he price of a Gretsch USA custom, I always envision Dr. Evil giving me the quote.

"Oh, that kit is Five Thousand Dollars"

dr-evil.jpg

Mwuhahahahaha!

Hi all,
I don't want to start another Renown Vs New Classic thread, but I do have a question for those with experience playing or owning both lines.

I like the fat/wet tone of the Renown line and I like the more woody tone of the New Classics. If I could find a middle ground between the two, I'd be thrilled. My quesiton is this: Can the middle ground best be acheived by using different heads on the Renown or by using different heads on the New Classic? Or, do you think I can get there with either kit and some time spent tuning?

I've played both, but the heads were different, the playing time limited in noisy music stores and poorly tuned heads. The NC I played had Evans single ply coated and the Renowns had the Evans 2 ply clear. I liked them both a lot...if only I could strike a middle ground soundwise.

With different head combinations, will the NC get me closer to the middle ground or will the Renown?

BTW, a couple of drum shop sources have said they expect Gretsch to change or discontinue the current NC soon. Expect some closeout pricing on NC in the coming months. Initially, I was focused on only the Renowns, but the possibility of closeout pricing on the current generation NC has me thinking about those too.

Thanks for your input!

I would get the NC, there'll always be deals on RENOWN. Keep in mind NC lugs are chrome over solid brass, collectively lighter and they'll not pit/rot like the pot metal lugs used on RENOWN and USA, it is a different look tho.

Both well built great sounding lines. Me say go for the look/finish you like best.

Those NC's ....Kaman/Gretsch really took the time to fine tune those shells to diameter. I thought that was pretty darn cool. Solid brass lugs too !

I don't want to take this thread off track but I'm curious if the tom mounting bracket can easily be removed from the rack toms on the New Classic line, or are they integrated into the lug?

I don't want to take this thread off track but I'm curious if the tom mounting bracket can easily be removed from the rack toms on the New Classic line, or are they integrated into the lug?
You can remove the lugs/mount from the drum and there is a set screw inside the lug you loosen. Then the lug comes apart allowing you to remove the tom mount.
Also, I have to disagree with the post regarding weight, the drums are heavy (heaviest drums I have ever owned) with the progressive thickness shells and solid brass lugs

I had the chance to spend a little more time behind a New Classic set and I really liked the sound. For such heavy drums, they're really responsive. Just like the Renowns, they articulate really well too. The more woody sound is growing on me.

The downside on the sound is that I think the Renowns can tune a bit lower than the NC before they start to sound dead. The Renowns hold that fat, buoyant tuning all the way up and down their tuning range. The drier, woodier tone of the NC might limit the range a little compared to the Renowns.

Both NC sets I played had single ply, coated heads while the Renowns had double ply, clear heads. I'd love to get behind a NC set with some clear Emperors or G2s.

Both Renown and NC bass drums sounded great. The NC sounded drier and punchier, but still meaty as hell. The Renown sounded a little less focused, but meaty as hell too. With an Emad, I'd be thrilled with either bass drum.

This is going to come down to how much I can stomach spending. If I find a monster deal on a set of NC, I'll jump on it. There are still some great deals on the old gen Renowns, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. Not until I'm sure the Renowns are exactly what I want.

I'm still interested in hearing real world experiences from people who've played and owned both. Tell me what you liked and disliked about each.

Thanks!

Looks wise, I really like the NCs. But, the wrap on the NC is really thick and the seam is really apparent. For the older Renowns my only gripe is the badge. It really interrupts the flow of the finish. IMO, it looks like a big sticker.

Petty stuff, but this is gonna be a kit that I will look at for years. I won't be gigging, so durability isn't an issue. Thoughts on wrap vs lacquer are appreciated!

For the older Renowns my only gripe is the badge. It really interrupts the flow of the finish. IMO, it looks like a big sticker.

I agree. the Renown badge (square with cut corners) looks like something that would come out of Dale's corner mom-n-pop trophy shop. It almost has an employee-of-the month luster to it. Less like a drum that you would play, and more like a drum that was given to you as a reward for besting the locals at the three-legged race.

Should I ever find the elusive 14" option floor-tom for my Renown, I'll probably end up removing (and storing) the badges. I can aways choose to re-apply them should I want to sell later.

I'll consider removing the badges if I go with the Renowns. Seems pretty straightforward. Some die cast grommets would look great.

Well, it didn't take long for me to find a pair of really good deals on NC shell packs by calling up some stores this afternoon. Both sets are new and being offered at the same price. One is a 4 piece black sparkle with 10, 12, 14 and 18x22. The other is a discontinued limited edition turquoise sparkle 4 piece with 12, 16, 18x22 and matching NC snare. (great sounding snare)

The black sparkle gives me flexibility to add on, but the turquoise doesn't. However, I love the turquoise finish and the fact that it's limited to only 50 sets.

What choice would you guys make if given these options at a super price???

The black sparkle gives me flexibility to add on, but the turquoise doesn't. However, I love the turquoise finish and the fact that it's limited to only 50 sets.

The thing about wrap is that you can go buy 'any' color NC add-on you want and spend $25 wrapping it. Matching lacquer is tough. I have an Transparent Ebony Renown. Been searching for a matching 14" floor tom of over 6 months.

The thing about wrap is that you can go buy 'any' color NC add-on you want and spend $25 wrapping it. Matching lacquer is tough. I have an Transparent Ebony Renown. Been searching for a matching 14" floor tom of over 6 months.

Good point. I've been looking at wrap options too. I'd need to order some samples to find a match...if the gretsch color can be matched. There's a handful of turquoise wraps out there.

BTW, the transparent ebony would look amazing without the badge and high quality grommets should you decide to ditch the badges. I totally agree with your take on how they look.

I'm not trying to start anything here but is the badge really that important in the grand scheme of things? I agree that some badges are much more appealing than others but if you like the sound and the price of the Renowns, I can't see holding back simply because you don't like the looks of the badge. You can always turn the toms away to make them less conspicuous if they bother you that much.

I totally agree, badges are definitely less important than the sound. After checking out Renowns up close, the badges just became more apparent over time.

Yeah, I understand. I just wouldn't want to see you miss out on one of the blowout Renown deals because of the badge. I did that with the Renown '57 kits because I didn't like the chevrons. I'm now kicking myself because I could've picked up a 4-piece bop kit for under $700. I think I could've gotten over the chevrons at that price but I was too late.

If I remember correctly, the renowns have die cast rims. Why not change the rims and use S-hoops, or the new versions of "slingerland hoops", or 3.0mm triple flange or even 2.3 flange hoops. Something to think about, and may be similar cost to a whole new set of heads.

Back