Should i buy a second floor tom?

So my friend got a new kit the other day and hes going to sell his old kit. Its a remo enforcer. So i offered to buy his floor tom. I currently play a 4 piece and i would like to have a second floor tom like chad smith and john bonham. Should i buy it?

How much? If it is 25 cents, I'm not sure why you are asking. If it is 3,000 dollars, I don't think you'd be asking either. How much?

Does it match your kit? What size is it...what size are the drums on your kit? Have you played it? Does it sound good?

Would buying it make you feel happy? I'm not sure what you are really asking us. It could be perceived that you are asking "Should I play with two floor toms?" That is a personal choice and subjective. No one could answer that for you.

I really enjoy playing one up - two down. As long as it's a different size than your current floor tom, I say go for it. When you start playing figures on two floors that you used to play on one, you'll see what I mean. Much richer sound.

I tossed around ordering the 16" floor tom to go with my 5 piece Mapex shortly after I bought it. At around 400 bones, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it. Mostly because I can't really afford it.

A guy I know that sells used drum equipment out of his garage had an old Continental 16" floor tom that needed a lot of work that he sold me for 25 bucks. I stripped it, painted it to somewhat match my kit, put on new heads and the missing bottom hoop and put it on the kit.

In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't shell out the cash for the Mapex tom. This one sounds just fine, and I only have about 75 bucks into it.

If the price is right, go for it.

If the question is should I use a 2nd floor tom...I know I love to. Actually, I think having one to my left and two to my right is even better. I love floor toms. It just wasn't clear to me what the OP was asking.

How much? If it is 25 cents, I'm not sure why you are asking. If it is 3,000 dollars, I don't think you'd be asking either. How much?

Does it match your kit? What size is it...what size are the drums on your kit? Have you played it? Does it sound good?

Would buying it make you feel happy? I'm not sure what you are really asking us. It could be perceived that you are asking "Should I play with two floor toms?" That is a personal choice and subjective. No one could answer that for you.

He said he'll sell it to me for 25. Its a 16 inch and it matches my kit and sounds pretty good

Well, doesn't sound like it could be a mistake. If it matches, is only 25 dollars and sounds pretty good? I'd say "absolutely!". Welcome to the 2 down club. It can be a pretty fun club.

I like my one up and two down. Two floor toms put you in a configuration favoured by the likes of Gene and Buddy (and many others to follow).

Give it a try.

GJS

I like my one up and two down. Two floor toms put you in a configuration favoured by the likes of Gene and Buddy (and many others to follow).

Give it a try.

GJS

Yep, and I always felt you can play more creatively with two floors. Two mounted always seems superfluous. And the ride cymbal was never in a comfortable place. But I know there are at least 50 million people who will disagree.

He said he'll sell it to me for 25. Its a 16 inch and it matches my kit and sounds pretty good
For $25, pull the trigger. And even if they're the same size, you just tune one high, and one low. Easy enough to do, especially when all you have is a single rack tom.​

Back