Steve Jordan

Got to see Steve live on Suday night with John Mayer. Cool show. He is awesome. They gave him a solo and he killed it. So cool to hear him build simple phrases within the groove. He has such a voice on the kit.

The girl next to me asked if he was blind. I laughed and went into a 3 minute Steve Jordan bio which left me looking, sounding, and feeling like a total drummer nerd. A label I would wear proudly. Its so funny how little people know about the music they are seeing.

On a side note, almost noone had any idea who Michael Franti was when he came up into the audience. It was kind of sad.

Saw Steve Jordan with John Mayer last night. It was my first time seeing Steve play live and he blew me away. The guy has some serious groove and feel. He got a short solo about halfway through the set.

You can tell that he is very well respected by everyone in the group. At one point John Mayer was explaining how he wrote Belief and that it is kinda behind the beat. He asked Steve if he knew what he meant and Steve just laughed and shrugged his shoulders haha.

His signature kit is veryyyy sexy by the way.

Michael Franti also went up in the stands at my show. I knew who he was due to some hippie friends I have. The teenage girls loved him when he was in the audience.

Steve is the man!
I really want to be like him XD.

He really blew me away on the 'Where the light is' DVD with John Mayer. Even though there are 'only' 7 songs with Steve, that DVD is certainly worth your money!

I've bought a ticket for a John Mayer show here in the Netherlands in June. I'm REALLY hoping Steve is playing on that show...!

So, I love Steve Jordan's grooves for sure, but what the heck is up with his tuning/drum sound on the John Mayer Trio Live album? I almost can't stand to listen to it. I swear it sounds like he's playing a 10" steel piccolo snare and roto toms. Just awful sound to me. Any insight?

I just recently got into Steve Jordan. Last night watched just about every video of his on youtube. This dude is so sick. When you look down into the depths of "the pocket", Steve Jordan's face will be there at the very bottom staring back at you with crazy eyes.

Last edited:
I just recently got into Steve Jordan. Last night watched just about every video of his on youtube. This dude is so sick. When look down into the depths of "the pocket", Steve Jordan's face will be there at the very bottom staring back at you with crazy eyes.

Yep. The guy sweats groove. Just try to listen to him play and NOT tap your feet....I believe the task is impossible.

I have it. If you're looking for solid education, look elsewhere. The whole DVD is pretty much about Steve Jordan grooving away in different situations. There's some food for thought and inspiration available for those who have the ability to find it, but personally I can't recommend buying it.

Man, I think you COMPLETELY missed the point of the DVD. But hey, that's just me and 46,789 other people.

I'm not sure man! but it looks like a 20" BD. I was checking on his drumming gear and he also uses a long deep bass drum something like 16" x 18"...

Great groove. Just 2 cymbals and 4 piece setup. Does he use a 20 inch kick drum?

Attachments

• Steve-Jordan.jpg
    Steve-Jordan.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2,776
  • stevejordanmastersplace.jpg
    stevejordanmastersplace.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,117
I love how Steve can sit back and play the simplest of grooves for three minutes and, somehow, make it sound incredible..

It's inspiring, isn't it? Seeing him play with the John Mayer Trio always makes me feel like playing ... and especially to be playing with John M and Dino P :) A fantastic grooving three piece.

Back