Roland TD-11KV-S vs Yamaha DTX 560K

Defender

Silver Member
Just as the title says... I'm looking at both of these kits for an entry level, but good e-kit. I really need some advice on which one is superior.

As I see it, the Yamaha has a bunch more sounds (supposedly) than the Roland, a 3 zone snare, two 3 zone 13 inch cymbals and a 2 zone hi-hat, which is on it's on its own stand, which I like and it has an 8 inch snare and 7 inch tom pads which are all the nice fancy DTX pads all the way around. And supposedly you can split some wires off and run 4 additional single zone pads (not sure if this works as well as I'm hoping, but if it does, it's a great feature.

As for the Roland, it's $160 cheaper, has the (I believe) tried and trued V-Pads. 8 inch snare and floor tom but slightly smaller toms (6.5 inches) than the 7 inch Yamaha pads. They do have the rim shots on all the toms which the Yamaha does not, though I'm not really sure how much (if at all) I would use tom rims. Cymbals are a 13 inch 3 zone ride but only a 12 inch 2 zone crash. And I'm not certain if the hi-hat is single or dual zone.

I really need some help on this one. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha because of the better features with the dual 13 inch 3 zone cymbals and because the Yamaha pads and cymbals seem to be less expensive if I decide to add some on to the kit. I messed around with a couple of these kit variations at the local Guitar Center, but I think I need to go back for a re-look/play.

Please help,
Defender

Not sure what your budget is ... but for another $400-$500 ... you could get a DTX700 kit. It would have all the same hardware as the DTX560K kit ... but a better module.

The big take away (for me anyway) is it supports essentially 3 voices on all inputs; hence, if you wanted rim shots on your toms ... it could support that ... you would need an XP80 or higher though for your toms as the XP70 pad is single voice only.

On its own ... the DTX700 is around $750 (+-).

As far as Roland versus Yamaha ... you're on your own ;)

What sounds better to you ... what feels better to you?

I got my e-Kit for home practice mainly. LOVED the TCS pads ... so I was hooked on Yamaha.

I have had a Roland TD4SX and have a Yamaha DTX535K which has been upgraded to the DTX700 module. My personal opinion is that Yamaha sounds are nicer, and the Yamaha TCS pad is a better snare drum experience than Roland's bouncy mesh.

But the main reason I later bought the DTX700 module is that the DTX500 module does not allow for full expression on the hi-hat. There is just closed and almost open and no difference between edge and bow.

Besides the Hi Hat control deficiency in the DTX500 module, I otherwise preferred it to the Roland in every way. But I do not know what features the TD11 has. Besides deciding which brand's sounds you prefer and which brand's pads you prefer, look at the specs on hi hat control also if that is important to you.

I've used and owned Roland e-kit modules (td-8/-10exp./-20sx) and kits since 2001, however for my own personal use I switched to Yamaha e-kits back in 2009... My main reasons for switching were I preferred a real drum sample based sound (Yamaha) as opposed to synthesis (Roland) and cost (you get more bang for the buck with Yamaha)...

I still play both brands regularly (DTX900 w/DTXtreme RHP pads & Roland td-20sx)... The Yamaha is just better IMO...(i.e., cymbal samples are more realistic, especially the ride cymbal; the Roland ride is just god-awful IMO and the snare samples are better as well….)

…I'm with barak and oak here…if you can afford it get the 700…also, it's about time for yamaha to come out with a replacement for the 500 module....could be this year (NAMM 13)…(i.e., the dtxpress IV/dtx500 module is going on 6 years old, so it's due)...So you might want to wait a little and see what's announced...

…I will say this in addition to my comments…YOU need to be happy with whichever kit you choose, so I would spend some time on the kits you're considering before you make your choice...

Last edited:
Thanks...

The one thing I fail to understand with these e-kits is the almost complete lack of upgrades they fail to build into the kits. The roland gives 1 extra input and the yamaha gives you extra inputs, but at what cost? If these companies really wanted your money, they would put 4 or 5 extra inputs on these head units and then they could sell people extra tom pads and extra cymbals all day long. I just dont understand it.

Speaking of the Yamaha's additional inputs, it seems as though they allow it, but you have to split off one wire to the next from what I'm reading, it says you lose stereo effect. Does this mean you only hear whatever tom you split off on the left OR the right side and not both?? Can someone help me understand this, cause I really am considering the Yamaha, but this seems weird to me.

Thanks, Defender

The Tom inputs on the DTX500 module are labelled as dual mono. I don't think stereo applies to the toms even when the Y adapter is used. I would think you would get sound out of both left and right regardless

Now, my DTX700 there is a pan setting where I can set 70 percent left and 30 percent right for example for each pad

Thanks...

The one thing I fail to understand with these e-kits is the almost complete lack of upgrades they fail to build into the kits. The roland gives 1 extra input and the yamaha gives you extra inputs, but at what cost? If these companies really wanted your money, they would put 4 or 5 extra inputs on these head units and then they could sell people extra tom pads and extra cymbals all day long. I just dont understand it.

Speaking of the Yamaha's additional inputs, it seems as though they allow it, but you have to split off one wire to the next from what I'm reading, it says you lose stereo effect. Does this mean you only hear whatever tom you split off on the left OR the right side and not both?? Can someone help me understand this, cause I really am considering the Yamaha, but this seems weird to me.

Thanks, Defender

The stereo applies to the zones (I.e, stereo input will generally allow two or three zones)...if you split it you'll get two mono sounds....You do get more inputs on the higher end modules..,my DTX900 modules has a total of 15 inputs...I currently have 6 toms, 1 snare, 1 kick, 5 cymbals & a hihat connected to the module...

The stereo applies to the zones (I.e, stereo input will generally allow two or three zones)...if you split it you'll get two mono sounds....You do get more inputs on the higher end modules..,my DTX900 modules has a total of 15 inputs...I currently have 6 toms, 1 snare, 1 kick, 5 cymbals & a hihat connected to the module...

Yeah, but the 700 looks like it has the same inputs as the 500. Or am I wrong?

Essentially the DTX700 has dedicated inputs for:

Snare
Crash1
Crash2
Ride
Tom1
Tom2
Tom3
HiHat
Kick
Input-Extra

All inputs (but hihat and kick) are 3 voice and controller capable.

The DTX500 is 3 voice on the snare, crash and ride only. I believe it only supports a controller on the snare.

As noted prior ... the top model DTX900 has ... a ga-zillion inputs ;)

I'm a newbie interested in learning drums, and I need an electronic kit because I live in a unit and don't want to piss of my neighbours. I have no prior experience playing on a kit; I did play tamborim in a Samba band for a while, but I doubt that counts.

I notice the discussion leaning towards the Yamaha models, but I'm thinking the Roland TD-11KV may be better for me because it seems to have better USB support and I'm a tech nerd from way back. Anyone have any reasons not to go with the Roland that I may otherwise discover down the track?

Cheers,
Graham

Well, I made it out to the store this weekend. I think the conclusion I've came to is that for the best bang for the buck nothing seems to beat the Yamaha dtx535K from Kraft Music's web site.

It's got rubber tom pads which aren't a big deal for me, but for $50 more than a 530, the 535 comes with a controller'd 10" snare and a 15" ride, which is exactly what I want.

I'm not really sure how you guys feel about it, but I don't really see a need for 3 zone toms. Plus I can use 4 pieces from my current kit and add 2 toms and 2 more cymbals for free (well, for the price of 4 splitters from trusty Radio Shack).

After looking at the Roland's and hearing them, the complete lack of additional add on capability completely turns me off. I mean, the things have some sort of proprietary plug that spiders out to the entire set. And only room for 1 additional cymbal (that by the way costs way to freakin much) Plus the sound on the Roland is complete junk (if you're looking for a real drum sound).

If anyone has anything else to add to this subject, I would be grateful for the advice.

Thanks, Defender

Well, I did it. I purchased a kit finally. I ordered the Yamaha DTX535K from Kraft Music. It differs from the 530 in that it has a 10" controllable snare vs the 8" and it also has one 13" and one 15" cymbal instead of two 13"ers. And it was only $50 more than the 530. It's supposed to be here Friday, so I'll keep everyone posted as to the overall quality.

Well, I got my new kit last Friday, and Sunday I went out and bought the correct adapters to expand it. I used 2 cymbals from my old Simmons SD7K Kit as well as 2 toms as floor toms. I also used the Simmons rack system because I found the Yamaha rack to simply be way to freakin small. The Simmons rack is 2 inches taller and probably 10 to 12 inches wider and and for me, just seems better.

After several days of messing around with it and getting the kit set up for a sound that I like, I am really, really liking it a lot. My only gripe is that I thought the cymbals and the hi-hat would be playable 360 degrees and that doesn't seem to be the case. They definitely have a sweet spot and if you veer very far off that spot the sound really begins to disappear from the pad.

Is this normal? Can anyone toss their 2 cents worth in.

Thanks, Defender

Hey Defender,

Just curious at how much you still like your drum? Does your opinion changes after near 2 years?

Hey Defender,

I'm also interested in your thoughts a couple years out. I was in a similar situation a year ago but decided to go with the TD-11KV (basically just because it was Roland, not necessarily better).

A year out for me, I'm quite satisfied, but if I was to do it over I would have gone all the way to the TD-15KV. GAS has added some items and am considering upgrading all my toms to PDX-100's and the snare to PD-125. But like I said, for the money, I guess I'm OKAY with my decision.

Just my 2-cents,
SKK

Hi Guys! I'm pretty new here. This is the only thread similar to what I'm wondering about. Defender- what do the silicon pads feel like? My local stores don't carry any of them. Also, do you think the sounds of your kit are real enough to play drum covers? Thanks-I am just getting into electric drums. I'm coming from a 200$ ion kit, so I'm taking a huge leap. Thanks again!

Back