Aquarian Classic Clear as Snare Batter

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Might I be crazy? Tonight I put a Classic Clear on yet another one of my snares and it blew me away. I was wrestling with the Evans Power Center on that wonderful Free Floater of mine and even though I'll keep the head for future use these CC's are rocking my world. I had a spare power dot I threw on the FF's head.

I get snap AND woody tones from the snare drum. I'm just surprised nobody else uses these (aside from jazz players with brushes). Coated is pretty traditional but these clears are making my ears excited.

And here's some eye candy :)

photo18.jpg

photo27.jpg

The only one that needs to like it on your drum is you. If you like it, keep it.

That is a totally legitimate head choice. Hey if you don't need to do brushwork...there's no real need for a coated head.

If you feel that you need just a little control from the clear head, and like Aquarian, the Classic Clear with Dot is a GREAT snare head.
They also have the Studio X with dot that I tried, but I took off the ring after a while and liked it more as a regular dot head.

I think people mainly use coated heads on the snare because they are used to it, and you don't see all the wires and stuff. Once you get used to it, it's no biggie.

I use a Clear Controlled Sound (basically the same thing except the dot might be thinner)- absolutely killer head. Most people (aside from brush players, obviously) use coated heads simply because it's the visual norm IMO- a silly thing to restrict, especially when clear heads offer the kind of attack that they do!

Back