Is the P3000D pedal worth it?

wizard sticks

200 quid for a direct drive pedal ... ouch. It seems like a lot of money, but a funky drummer must have a good pedal!

I know there are a few other direct drives around. But is the Pearl monster worth it?

It is probably that or the Yamaha direct drive for nearly half the price - and I know Yamaha make nice metal objects.

I am a simple man when it comes to drum equipment, and the Yamaha might suit me. A million options on the Pearl might not be required - I grew up with a crappy Speed King copy and I loved it compared to any other chain thing since.

I used to be in love with that pedal upon first playing it, but I've changed my mind since then. A year ago, I would have told you that it was the best pedal on the market.

My old drummer got this pedal, on my recommendation, so I got the chance to play on it quite a bit. Maybe it was just his specific pedal, but the more time I spent with it, the less I liked it. It wasn't as responsive as I felt it should have been, and the direct drive didn't make that big of a difference. I play a DW5000 dual chain drive, and I love the thing. It feels so much better to me than the Demon.

Heck, I used to own a $40 Gretsch Blackhawk pedal that I preferred over the Demon Drive.

And it has too many options for me. I like to keep things simple. The way I see it is that, a REALLY good quality pedal doesn't need tons of adjustment options. Just beater angle and spring tension.

My views on my friend's pedal probably has a bit to do with how he had it set up (he didn't really know what he was doing in that sense), but I just feel like they tried to put too much into something so basic.

All in all, my take on it is that, the first time I played it, I was amazed And then it just kept going downhill from there. I just think you can get something just as good, if not better, for a much better price. But if you can find one used for a good price, I'd say go for it.

How long is a piece of string?

Something's value is determined by those who use it. I wouldn't pay a red cent for a steel snare drum, some guys happily drop hundreds. Likewise, I could never drop half a million dollars on a car, whereas some people don't blink at it.

Same with the Demon......some guys swear buy them, others don't care for it at all.

You've gotta get your feet on pedals......especially direct drive pedals if you're not familiar with them. They are a very different feel from a chain or strap driven pedal. It's the only way you're really gonna know.

Last edited:
I used to be in love with that pedal upon first playing it, but I've changed my mind since then. A year ago, I would have told you that it was the best pedal on the market.

My old drummer got this pedal, on my recommendation, so I got the chance to play on it quite a bit. Maybe it was just his specific pedal, but the more time I spent with it, the less I liked it. It wasn't as responsive as I felt it should have been, and the direct drive didn't make that big of a difference. I play a DW5000 dual chain drive, and I love the thing. It feels so much better to me than the Demon.

Heck, I used to own a $40 Gretsch Blackhawk pedal that I preferred over the Demon Drive.

And it has too many options for me. I like to keep things simple. The way I see it is that, a REALLY good quality pedal doesn't need tons of adjustment options. Just beater angle and spring tension.

My views on my friend's pedal probably has a bit to do with how he had it set up (he didn't really know what he was doing in that sense), but I just feel like they tried to put too much into something so basic.

All in all, my take on it is that, the first time I played it, I was amazed And then it just kept going downhill from there. I just think you can get something just as good, if not better, for a much better price. But if you can find one used for a good price, I'd say go for it.

Thanks ... yeah, my experience points to a direct drive, so a simple one would be a good bet.

I grew up with playing one, and direct drives weren't available (as far as I knew) when I had to buy a "better" one many moons ago. It was virtually all chain and a few straps to stop the jazzers moaning. But this was pre-Internet so maybe they were out there!

The finish scratched very easy, the beaters wear very fast and my bearings were shot exteemly quickly. They sounded like my cheap budget pedal after two months or so. like i said i liked the feel but they just could not take my playing i guess.

Back