DW 3500T vs. DW 8500T

goodfella

Hey folks!

Bit of a random question but I have a DW3500T hi-hat stand supporting VH-11 hats. Have a DW 8000 kick pedal....

Part of me wants to match it all up but having a hard time convincing myself that there would be any benefit in moving to a DW8500T hi-hat stand. From what I understand the difference is in durability etc. which I'm not too concerned about.

Is there a performance difference between the 3500 and 8500 series hardware?

Look foward to your thoughts...thanks.

the only real difference is sturdiness, the 8000 series hardware is super heavy and the fact youve got the better bearings. the only real stand with performance increase is the 9000 due to mechanism.

just buy a new footboard cheaper and a lighter stand for transport if you can get it

There's a bit of difference between the 2.

I have that same hat stand (2 of them), but it was under the 5000 line when I got them a bit over a year ago.

The 8000 will have the Delta hinge. Makes a little difference, but you can buy one and put it on the one you have for less $$$.
The feel of the 3500 doesn't have that "floating" light spring, which the 8000 may have (I personally don't like bouncing top hat feel, and they never support heavier hats right).
The 5000TL is a little 'noisier' than other stands I have, but, it is not anything you can hear other than when there's no cymbals on the stand. I do a lot of open/close hat patterns and I never hear anything from the stand.
Only when there's no cymbals on it does it make any noise--but I doubt the 8000 would make any noise ever.

The other difference is the weight of the 8000.

I have several really great hat stands, but I bought the (5000TL) 3500T because it was real sturdy, felt good and didn't weigh a friggin' ton.

Other than that little noise/rattle/whatever, I haven't had any issues at all with mine, and they are quality stands, but I'm sure the 8000 is built like 2 brick sh*t houses instead of 1.

If you can justify it, and be satisfied in your mind that you aren't wasting money, maybe seriously look at an 8000, but I'd play one first.

Matching pedals might be nice to look at when your feet aren't on them, but it's a bit*h when you look back and say "did I really need buy that? I could have used the $$ on something I DO need".

Good luck!

Back