New single pedal

drumr_102

I've been using the kick pedal that came with my drum set since I've played drums, but I've recently decided that my foot is faster than the pedal.

I'm not sure if it's the pedal or if it's how it's set up (I've never really understood how to mess with those springs on the pedal).
I figure since it's a pedal that came with the Forum set that it's just a beginner pedal and that I've outgrown it and should have gotten a new one years ago...

Is this true or is it just my ability?
Also, any suggestions on new pedals?

If you're talking about the Pearl Forum, then yes the pedal is not very good, and if you've been playing for years you should probably get a new one.

What's your price range? I can give you several options based on that.

I've played alot of pedals in my lifetime. And if the pedal is of the single-spring-on-the-side-of-the-cam variety, then the only mechanical problem could be that the bearings for the cam are so worn down that the spring can't bring the pedal back as fast as it used to. But, if the cam (the part that holds the beater) is smoothly operating, maybe you need a new spring that connects the hook to the cam.

Again, if the cam is damaged, it won't move freely, making the pedal slower for you. Try replacing the spring first - those things do wear out. That will put the pedal back to factory spec and then you will know if it's you or the pedal. If the cam is damaged, then get a new pedal, there would be no point in fixing it.

If it is the pedal, then you get to go to a store and try out new ones. If you've been playing the stock pedal that came with your Forum this long, anything will feel like an improvement. So bring your wallet too and be prepared to spend some money.

I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I really do need a new pedal for doing straight eighths at a faster tempo and things like that.
I guess around $100 would be more affordable, but I'm not opposed to saving up either.

And I've used that pedal since I began playing about 5 or 6 years ago... I didn't know they wore out lol I've just been blaming myself.

You can pick up a new Iron Cobra from midwest percussion for $125 right now. Use the code "big13"

Well Bo I would recommend that he just gets a new pedal. I had the same pedal with my forum kit, and trust me, it's pretty bad. He also mentioned he'd been playing for years... Whatever the problem may be, I think it's time for a new one.

Well the 2 I'll recommend are the Pearl Elimimator ($120) and the DW 7000 ($110).

Those are two of the cheapest quality pedals you can get. Any lower than that and you'll still be in the beginner range. I never liked the eliminator, and prefer the DW, but if you can, I'd go to a shop and try them both out.

Also the DW 7000 is no longer in production, so you may be able to get it even cheaper than that.

You can pick up a new Iron Cobra from midwest percussion for $125 right now. Use the code "big13"

That's a fantastic deal. Iron Cobra's are great and this pedal normally costs $190.

Well ok. I was just trying to see if he didn't have to spend more money. If he has a $100 to spend, then you might as well. I've had the best luck playing an older Tama Iron Cobra Jr. pedal, that I managed to find pretty close to new for $50 - so I bought two of 'em. Love those things. Just replaced my springs so they should be good for another 10 years the way I play.

Someone also said the DW 3000 isn't that bad. It's not a DW 5000 Delta Accelerator, but it's also not $180.

Off topic, I'm considering going back to DW because I had a chance to play that 3005 hi-hat, and it's solid. And the advantages of having the pedal everybody else seems to play (DW5000 and its variants) means there's no shortage of parts at stores and I can pretty much sit in on anybody's drums and feel right at home!

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to check some out.
Also, I saw the Eliminator, but it was Demon Drive and was $320. Is there a different line or something?

So all the numbers on the DW series... Are they reflective of how good they are? Like the bigger the number the better or what?

I'm ashamed to say I've never spent money on a pedal lol

Go to your local GC, play a bunch of pedals, see what feels good. Or just buy an Iron Cobra, has all adjustments you'll ever need and built like a tank

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'll have to check some out.
Also, I saw the Eliminator, but it was Demon Drive and was $320. Is there a different line or something?

Yes you'll want to be lookimg at the Powershifter elimonators, not the demon drives.

So all the numbers on the DW series... Are they reflective of how good they are? Like the bigger the number the better or what?

No, it goes all out of order. Here they are from cheapest to most expensive.

Don't ask me why they do it like that...
Like Bo said the 3000 is good too, but you can get a 7000 for practically the same price, maybe $10 more.

No reason to be ashamed. You're thinking right - don't buy gear until you absolutely need it!

DW originally started out with the 5000 series. Then they expanded to have all these different lines (sorta' confusing, if you ask me). They're top stuff is the 9000 series, then under that is the slightly overkilling 8000 stuff. Then 5000 (which many people still swear by). Then they have the 3000 and 2000 lines. People say the 3000 series is how the 5000 series was 10-15 years ago! And I've played DW about that long and they're probably right. Their website explains it better a www.dwdrums.com, but that's pretty much the gist of it. Just different lines.

I tried the 9000 pedal once at a whopping $300 for a single. Thought it was great but didn't like the spring being on the inside of the post (hard to get to). But mostly played the 5000 series most of my life until these Tamas I'm playing now. But I've had Trick, Axis, Yamaha, older Tamas, Gretsch, Slingerland, Ludwig pedals in my 40 years of playing and other than the Ludwig Speed King, they all feel pretty much the same to me.

So many choices! lol
I guess I'll have to spend a good day at a drum shop trying pedals...

Are there any pedals that are good for playing heel toe or faster hits like that or are pedals pretty general?

the 7000 are now called the 3000...its the same pedals

Ah that makes sense!
In that case then the 3000 is good too, if its the same.

Also Bo they've newly added the 6000 series. 3 single pedals available, supposed to model a vintage pedal. They could be worth checking out for those people who use old 5000's.

So many choices! lol
I guess I'll have to spend a good day at a drum shop trying pedals...

Are there any pedals that are good for playing heel toe or faster hits like that or are pedals pretty general?

If you want to play heel toe the best would be a longboard... These don't come cheap, I think Axis makes one for $170, but you won't find one much cheaper than that.

You might also try the Pearl 900, it can be found on line for around 50 and its well built and has a good feel to it, I got two and the 902 (Double pedal). For 100 though you might try the DW 3000 a little on the heavy side for me but could be fixed with a lighter beater. Probably the next step for me will be the Tama speed cobra (longboard), I was just at GC and it has a damn nice feel to it for $175 but as others have suggested trying them out if you can is best to see what you prefer.

May I ask where you guys shop for this stuff also?
I looked at Midwest Percussion a little while ago and that's a pretty sweet site, but as for stores I've never liked the employees at GC... I call them car salesmen.

I've been to a few local music stores, but they don't have much drum stuff to try and also there's one local drum shop and they are great, but don't have much to try in store "but can order whatever I need"

I've definitely not seen these millions of different kinds of pedals in any store lol

If you want to play heel toe the best would be a longboard... These don't come cheap, I think Axis makes one for $170, but you won't find one much cheaper than that.

Longboard as in it's longer?

I've always had to play with my shoes off so I could fit my heel on there lol (size 13 feet)

Back