weird head problem....

ThePianoDentist

the last head I had for my snare for some reason when I started using it I made a big dip or well in the middle early on and broke it in next to no time at all.

just so it doesn't happen again anyone know whether I tuned it too tight or not tight enough?

top head by the way.

Either a cheap head, poor QC, or incorrect tuning. What head was it, and what kind of drum?
And welcome to DW!

Either a cheap head, poor QC, or incorrect tuning. What head was it, and what kind of drum?
And welcome to DW!

maybe it's because it's a shitty stagg snare. my other drums are pearl but I've never got round to replacing this cheap snare (never been in a serious enough band to need to yet)

the head was a remo ambassador (snare). this time I've just gone for a remo ambassador with no special snarey stuff (hope I'm not speaking too technically here for you) as my others were this and they seemed fine

but it could equally have been incorrect tuning. I don't know how to tune properly or have a tuner so I just muck about tightening and untightening until I end up with a sound I like

maybe it's because it's a shitty stagg snare.

The make of snare should have no bearing on the damage to the heads

the head was a remo ambassador (snare). this time I've just gone for a remo ambassador with no special snarey stuff (hope I'm not speaking too technically here for you) as my others were this and they seemed fine

You are using a snare side ambassador for a batter? There's your problem mate. They are desgined for the underside of a snare drum, they are deliberately thin (3mils) so that they react with the snare wires. Definitely no good for a batter head.

The new head (plain old ambassador = 10mils) should make a notable difference.

I don't know how to tune properly or have a tuner so I just muck about tightening and untightening until I end up with a sound I like

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs

It's a tried and tested method that many drummers use to tune. Follow the advice and keep practising. It takes time, patience and repetition to develop the art of tuning.

Back