Injured my back - can't play - what's my stuff worth?

Joel Berghult

Hey guys,

Injured my back a while back and haven't been able to play since. I was wondering, can anyone help me with how much my drums/gear are worth? I'd like to sell them but I have no idea where to set the price.

- Drumset Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga Dark Cherry Fade w. Iron Cobra single pedal, 2 cymbal stands, hihat stand & extra cymbal holder with Tama-clutch

- Hardcases for the drums + hardcase box for stands + hardcase for cymbals

- Hand hammered cymbal Zildjian Constantinople 22" Ride

- Cymbal Zildjian A Custom 16" crash

- Hihats Sabian HHX Manhattan Jazz 14"

- Hand Hammered cymbal Istanbul Agop 20" Ride

- Tama 1st Chair drum throne w the optional back support

- Pearl Jungle Gig-kit for the 16" Floor tom

Thanks so much guys!

Joel

I would sell the Constantinople K's separately, they are fetching a good buck on the collectors circuit.

+1^.The K ,and other cymbals should be sold seperately from the drums.You'll defenately make more that way.It's IMPOSSIBE,to give you accurate prices on the gear,without CLEAR pics.Condition,vintage location and originality, is everything in selling used gear.

To get an accurate picture of what your kit would sell for,check craigslist and Ebay for the COMPLETED auctions .That will give you an accurate picture of what the current resale value of your gear,.That will be based on location,and if you're willing to ship your stuff.A pick up only auction or sale,WILL result in a lower resale price.Good luck

Steve B

Are they clean? Spotless? Polished? Trashed? Condition of and make/model of heads? Purchased new? If new, start asking between 70 & 80% of what you paid if in mint condition.

Do you want to give up playing irrespective of your back injury? I have a fairly severe back complaint, & I know other drummers who do as well. Most challenges can be overcome if you really want to, but you've got to really want to.

Either way, good luck in whatever you decide to do next :)

How long ago did you injure it? Some back problems take longer than others to recover from, but chances are that you WILL recover fully. You will just need to take precautions in the future.

My drum teacher who also seems to sell drums, cymbals and hardware(seems to be mostly used and some vintage stuff) has said one of the problems he has with selling the drums is the shipping costs so if you are going to auction the drums you will probably want to have the buyer pay shipping.

I'm so sorry for the OP. Is there really no way of remedy? I can't believe you feel like quitting drums altogether.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful responses! I will take some better pics and post here. They have only been out for a few gigs, and only in the very protective Hard Cases. I had an old Yamaha kit I used for low-profile gigs.

Actually the back injury worked out pretty well for me, and I'm now a singer/songwriter/multiinstrumentalist/producer with more success than I ever had when drumming, so don't feel bad for me. I just want to get rid of the drum stuff since it's not what I do anymore (and could not do if I wanted to, but that doesn't really matter haha).

Best,

Joel

Back