I'm interested in the Aquarian texture coated...

The Edge

Heads. I examined the coating and it seems thick and durable. Thicker than Remo and Evans to.the touch. I will try one on my snare and see how it goes. Any thoughts on Aquarian? Other than what's been posted on the board.

Been playing Aquarian for almost 20 years. They are consistent. You're right, the coating is very durable, more so than the competition.

Every once in a while I'll play a Remo or Evans head. I'm glad every time that I'm using Aquarian.

My dad likes Evans a lot and uses them on most of his snares...they make a nice head, but it's not up to snuff with Aquarian in my opinion. As for Remo...I wouldn't even put them on a set of CB-700s.

Can't say enough good words about Aquarian: have been using coated single ply batter heads on my snare (as well as other Aquarian heads on other drums) for a couple of years and the coating, response, sound etc have been exemplary. It also helps that they tend to be cheaper where I buy my heads.

Been playing Aquarian for almost 20 years. They are consistent. You're right, the coating is very durable, more so than the competition.

Every once in a while I'll play a Remo or Evans head. I'm glad every time that I'm using Aquarian.

My dad likes Evans a lot and uses them on most of his snares...they make a nice head, but it's not up to snuff with Aquarian in my opinion. As for Remo...I wouldn't even put them on a set of CB-700s.

+1 on everything you said, I have been using Aquarian for about 12 years now and I try the others from time to time but dont get the sound or life out them like I do the Aquarian and they are cheaper than the rest here to.

Last edited:
I just have one word describing the texture coated; "Awesome"

Take time to play them and let them wear out little bit and you'll be in paradise.

Nice looking pic of your drums but they seem to be suffering from moongel-itous ;-)

LOL, I was thinking that too. A bit of overkill on coated 2 ply heads IMO. I use clear single ply studio x heads on my toms and still only put 1 moonjell on my 16 and 1 on my 18.

This is the kind of thing that scares me when people swear by a certain brand or style of head and then you see at least 2 or 3 moon gels. They must not meet your needs or you wouldn't need the moon gel. I have found Evans that fit the bill for me with no muffling at all. Then there is the cost. "Aquarians are much cheaper" Yeah until you add 18.00 worth of moongel. I find it hard to respect an opinion on heads when the drummer can't tune them well.

This is the kind of thing that scares me when people swear by a certain brand or style of head and then you see at least 2 or 3 moon gels. They must not meet your needs or you wouldn't need the moon gel. I have found Evans that fit the bill for me with no muffling at all. Then there is the cost. "Aquarians are much cheaper" Yeah until you add 18.00 worth of moongel. I find it hard to respect an opinion on heads when the drummer can't tune them well.
Maybe their needs include the ability to take the moongel off for a different sound. Can't do that with a premuffled head. It is somewhat accepted that head selection and tuning requirements can vary from live unmiced, to live miced, to studio applications.

Yes, I realize that there are lots of Moongel's on the heads, but trust me there was a reason. I took that picture when I was testing the accoustics in the room. The room is not that big and I was playing thru different genres of music testing the sound. Don't worry, the Moongel's were only on for about an hour. It had nothing to do with tuning and whether I know how or not. It's pretty easy to judge sitting on your throne isn't it? I couldn't possibly be playing around with different sounds or anything right? By the way, my opinion on the heads was given without Moongel's on them.

Do you need me to take a more current picture now that the heads don't have the Moongel's on them? Lord knows I need you to respect my opinion! I'm here for you, just ask and it shall be done!! lol

Last edited:
Maybe their needs include the ability to take the moongel off for a different sound. Can't do that with a premuffled head. It is somewhat accepted that head selection and tuning requirements can vary from live unmiced, to live miced, to studio applications.

I agree, I sometimes get asked why I use coated studio x on both my 12" and 14" snares and then add a studio ring as well instead of just using a focus x head. The reason is I can remove the studio ring when a wet sounding snare is necessary for a particular song. With the 2 snares and the rings I can quickly change between 4 different sounds as needed.

I've used the Aquarian texture coated and compared to the Evans coated, they seem to dry the drum out a little bit more. Which I actually don't mind in some cases.

I don't think they are that much better to warrant something along the lines of forget Evans. That being said, I'd leave a comparable Remo coated behind for both Evans and Aquarian.

I use no muffling for toms whatsoever.

Back