Kumu four piece.

I have a feeling that on some sets, you wouldn't notice much of a difference and you would on others and I wonder what influences that.

I believe that they can do their thing on any drum -- they round out the top by attenuating the high frequencies of the attack. Steel hoops do ring and have a high pitch, whereas wood hoops have much less of a ring to them.

I snapped some new pictures this evening... Enjoy!

First of all, here's the kit with my Zildjian K Custom Dark setup: 14" hats, 18" crash, 20" ride and 16" crash...
2284070129_1f930e52fd.jpg

...and here's the same kit, but with a Meinl Byzance lineup: 13" medium hats, 17" medium thin crash, 20" thin ride and 16" thin crash.
2284070325_1ecd18780d.jpg

...and here's still the same kit, but with my jazz setup: 13" Meinl Byzance hats, 21" Byzance Dark Ride, 20" Byzance thin ride and 20" K Custom Dark ride.
2284858536_a5b6f31d70.jpg

...and here's another angle at the kit, featuring the K Darks.
2284857414_fdea56b24d.jpg

PS. Stay tuned for a new vid!

i would have rather had the Kumu Aapo Hopeakoski Custom kit than that one but it still looks good, is the one you have the Sami Sarhamaa Custom?

is the tom tom rim holder for the stand and floor tom legs included when you buy toms

Yes. Rack toms come with RIMS mounts (or rather, equivalents thereof) and floor toms come with legs. You'll have to get your tom holders separately. By default the RIMS are fitted with inserts that are suited for standard L-rods (as seen with Tama, Sonor, Premier etc.), but you can order them with any inserts available on the market.

Last edited:
My former teacher had his Premier kick drum ported, and he said it worked like a charm. Just remember to leave the job for the experts, as it probably requires more than just a jigsaw and an eager pair of hands... :)
you could use a big ass faustner drill bit and drill that SOAB!

Yes. Rack toms come with RIMS mounts (or rather, equivalents thereof) and floor toms come with legs. You'll have to get your tom holders separately. The RIMS are fitted with inserts tha are suited for standard L-rods (as seen with Tama, Sonor, Premier etc.) , but you can order them with any inserts available on the market.

Thanks for answering my question Wavelength…I saw some of your video in youtube I Must say you are very talented drummer…keep up the good work

I experimented with my new recording gear (=Pre-Sonus Firebox) last weekend, and here's a little excerpt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP14lghcKzI

I thought I'd like to hear what the kick drum sounds like tuned ridiculously loose and muffled to the death, and it wasn't half bad. I recorded it internally with a Shure SM57 and EQd the crap out of it -- the SM57 isn't exactly the best choice for catching low frequencies. As per usual, the AKG 1000 was used as an overhead.

The cymbals I used this time were
  • 14" K Custom Dark hats
  • 20" Byzance Jazz Extra Thin ride
  • 20" Byzance Thin ride
  • 22" K Custom Dry Light ride
  • 20" K ride

I played this clip to a metronome and with the traditional grip, and you can tell that I'm not playing with as much conviction and assertion as I should (or could), but what the heck...

Great videos. Thanks for sharing.

You play both traditional grip and matched grip. Which is more natural-feeling to you?

You play both traditional grip and matched grip. Which is more natural-feeling to you?

I haven't practiced traditional technique at all, but I have used it while playing, and it has developed on its own. Matched grip feels more natural since I've spent so much time with it, but sometimes it just feels better and more fun to play with the traditional. If I'm in a serious playing situation, I'll very rarely touch the traditional grip -- unless I'm using brushes.

Wavelength, first I must say I am a huge fan of your drumming. Your videos are excellent, and I have a few questions about how you recorded them. Does the mic you use hook up to your videocamera? How do you get the videos from the camera to upload into youtube? I really want to start recording myself, yet I do not know where to start. Could you possibly tell me what to do, start with what to buy. My pricerange is 350$ USD, and i want to achieve video that is near the quailty of yours. Thanks!

Wavelength, first I must say I am a huge fan of your drumming. Your videos are excellent, and I have a few questions about how you recorded them. Does the mic you use hook up to your videocamera? How do you get the videos from the camera to upload into youtube? I really want to start recording myself, yet I do not know where to start. Could you possibly tell me what to do, start with what to buy. My pricerange is 350$ USD, and i want to achieve video that is near the quailty of yours. Thanks!

Hi, Mr. Creamer,

I have used three different recording techniques for my videos so far:
  1. One condenser microphone as an overhead mic, connected to the video camera
  2. One condenser as an overhead and one dynamic as a bass drum mic, connected to the video camera with a splitter cable
  3. One condenser as an overhead and one dynamic as a bass drum mic, connected to a laptop computer through a FireWire audio interface.

The first two techniques are simple, since both the video and the audio are recorded on the tape. However, getting the balance right using the second method takes some triall and errors... The third is just a bit trickier, since I use the camera to record the video and the laptop to record the audio. This way I can edit the audio more easily, and syncing it up with the video is just a matter of a bit of tweaking.

You can use any video editor to capture your recordings from your camera to your computer. Using the same editor you can then export the captured (and hopefully edited!) footage into a variety of formats. Uploading the end product is simple enough. Just follow the instructions @ YouTube.

I've used a Canon HV20 high definition digital video camera along with an AKG C1000 condenser and a Shure SM57 dynamic. I acquired a Shure Beta 91 recently, and I presume I'll be using that to mic my kick drum hereonafter. Anyhow, you could get fairly good results with a cheap-ish second hand digital cam corder and a reasonably priced (second hand) condenser microphone that can be operated with battery power. Few camcorders can output phantom power, so battery powered mics are pretty much mandatory for small setups.

Wavelength,

A stupid question: I think the rim of the drums are made of wood? Are they prone to dent?

Back