Vinnie Colaiuta

Good point. All that talk about pre-EQd birch shells, back when I was younger, that was the sound I craved. But if his new drums sound the same, it's obviously the sound he wants.

Yes, that was the sound I craved back then too. But Vinnie's current drums don't sound like that at all. And I have a feeling his Gretsch kits never sounded as bad as his current setup.
Birch Yamahas and Maple Gretsches have lots of bright attack and resonance too, in spades.
His cymbals did sound amazing though. That Paiste silvery, 'never harsh' shimmer...just beautful - almost edible. I have a set of 602 modern essentials now.

Neal

Man, Im so ready to check out his new Vic Firth sigs! I think he's playing them already from what Ive seen.

I see his Vic Firth sig is for sale at a couple of places but I can't find anything about dimensions...Paul, do you know anything about that? Thanks

I see his Vic Firth sig is for sale at a couple of places but I can't find anything about dimensions...Paul, do you know anything about that? Thanks

It's very similar to his previous Zildjian model, but 1/4" longer. I think it's 16" in length. I haven't actually held one, but he sent me a pic of one of the recent prototypes. Looks like the same tip as before.

Ok cool yeah it looked very similar but it'll probably feel better given VF's denser hickory...I think the biggest difference is a longer taper...which his Z definitely didn't have.

New stick here:

http://youtu.be/1uwNhJZdTqU?t=1m54s

I'll check it out, but I have a feeling I'll still prefer the old one. It was prefection.

Though they were sometimes inconsistent I love my Zildjian Vinnie sticks and can't really stand a regular Vic 5B.

Yeah Gretsch AND Paiste is very unchristian! lol

I think that Vinnie moved to Paiste with his Ludwig endorsement.
I have a ride, crash, and a pair of high hats from the early 60's. They are stamped "Ludwig Standard - Paiste -Swiss made". I saw Joe Morello at a clinic in 1968. He has was endorsing Paiste because of the new Ludwig-Paiste association.

Back