18" Kick Drum Users

I'm sure there are plenty of Jazzers that do 18's. Normally the reason we choose 18's (and more often 20's) however is because they fit nicely in the doors of vehicles, and also fit nicely into the acoustics of gigging situations.

The most famous, non-jazz, 18" user is Bernard Purdie think.. prolific session player. The Purd can be heard on too many records to mention in one sitting, it just wouldn't do the collection justice.

Cindy Blackman , Bernard Purdie (1960, 70's sessions), Brian Blade (in his own band), coem to mind, and of course, *many* classic jazz drummers

I think Sterling Campbell used one on Bowie's Heathen tour. I'm not sure.
Here is a picture:

Heathen_Tour_Bowie_and_Sterling_Campbell.jpg

I understand Gary Novak used an 18" bass drum on Chick Corea's instruction on the Elektric Band 2 album. It sounds amazing, but I recall how ear-catching it was when I first listened to that album.

Of course, Dave Weckl used one as a remote bass drum for some time with his band.

I wouldn't call any 18" drum a kick drum. It's a floor tom someone decided to hit with a pedal.

Taylor Hawkins is using a 18" kick drum at the moment (I think it's 18 anyways).

Check it out!

Attachments

• 526277_10151484317795545_25098475544_23261820_913570642_n.jpg
    526277_10151484317795545_25098475544_23261820_913570642_n.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 10,044
These players all have used 18" bass drums at one time or another. Just glancing at a list of players from the DW home page.

Rashied Ali
Barry Altschul
Ed Blackwell
Art Blakey
Joe Chambers
Jon Christensen
Kenny Clarke
Jimmy Cobb
Andrew Cyrille
Alan Dawson
Jack DeJohnette
Peter Erskine
Al Foster
Vernel Fournier
Chico Hamilton
Billy Hart
Louis Hayes
Roy Haynes
Billy Higgins
Elvin Jones
Pete LaRoca Sims
Ben Riley
Max Roach
Art Taylor
Ed Thigpen
Kenny Washington
Tony Williams
Carl Allen
Joe La Barbera
Joey Baron
Cindy Blackman
Brian Blade
Hamid Drake
Danny Gottlieb
Jeff Hamilton
Eric Harland
Daniel Humair
Greg Hutchinson
JoJo Mayer
Paul Motian
Lewis Nash
Ben Perowsky
Ralph Peterson
Herlin Riley
John Riley
Steve Smith
Marvin "Smitty" Smith
Bill Stewart
Jeff "Tain" Watts

I often think about an 18 inch drum or even a 20 inch.

Mike Portnoy actually used one on the right side of his Siamese Monster for the Train Of Thought Tour....then he uped to it to a 26. lol

I actually like using one myself, when i get the chance. I find if its tunned right it gets a more focused punch than most sizes. Even more so than my 24 that I got at my house.

Back