Emperors Vs. G2's. What's the difference?

Been trying to find a good 2-ply head for my all-birch kit and stumbled upon these 2 different heads. After about an hour of researching and googling, I've come to the conclusion

They're completely the same, and the good to bad review ratio is just biased 'enthusiasts' that play the drums

Is this true? Because I've heard on both sides that they're the best batter heads someone can get, and these are terrible and just go with the opposite.

This is a can of worms now, isn't it? I say it all the time, having used both all the time, I conclude they are the same. Others will argue to differ. Your best bet is to buy a set of both and experiment. You'll most likely come to the same conclusion. If not, then buy the ones you like.

Personally, I think Remos generally sound better and have a better feel until they wear out. I find Evans heads to be waaaay more durable and long-lasting, and they sound nearly as good. This applies directly to your Emperor/G2 comparison; if you go with coated G2s, they will be on your kit for a long time to come...

For me Remo has a very, very slight wetness to it, and feels a tiny bit different too. But G2's are great too. As far as I've heard, Evans are extremely consistent.

I have Evans G2 coated in my drumset for about 3 or 4 years now.. Unfortunately I can't play much at home 'cause of my schedules, but anyway, I think it's a lot of time for a set of heads.

When I get a new drumset I wanna try Remo, just for the fun of it, but I think they will be very very similar.

Go with what your gut tells you and you won't regret it.

I can only speak from personal experience.

I found the G2's to feel much 'thicker' and more durable (literally, if I held the head in my hand, the Evans felt thicker.)

Soundwise, the Remos gave me a slightly brighter, slightly more resonant sound. The G2's were very focused with little resonance and overtones.

There's no real better head between them, IMO. If I HAD to choose one, I would probably take the Evans. I feel like I could take a hammer to them without hurting the heads. They just feel so strong.But there's nothing wrong with the Remo's. My question for you would simply be: how much resonance would you want? If you want less, take the G2's.

I can only speak from personal experience.

I found the G2's to feel much 'thicker' and more durable (literally, if I held the head in my hand, the Evans felt thicker.)

Soundwise, the Remos gave me a slightly brighter, slightly more resonant sound. The G2's were very focused with little resonance and overtones.

There's no real better head between them, IMO. If I HAD to choose one, I would probably take the Evans. I feel like I could take a hammer to them without hurting the heads. They just feel so strong.But there's nothing wrong with the Remo's. My question for you would simply be: how much resonance would you want? If you want less, take the G2's.

You took the words right out of my mouth ;).

Just to add another thought from my experience, I found the emperors to be more versatile if cranked up high. The G2s didn't seem to sound good to me with a tighter tension. Basically I'm saying they're both great if you like a loose tuning, but if you like to tighten and brighten up the sound, emperors have worked better for me. Others may think differently though.

They're completely the same, and the good to bad review ratio is just biased 'enthusiasts' that play the drums

Essentially, yes. Both are 2 simple plies of 7 mil mylar. There are minor differences in assembly and coatings used by Remo and Evans. That those differences result in a difference in tunning, playing, sound, or durability is purely subjective.

Alright, cool. I'll just have to try them both out, i suppose.

what about reso heads? I'm pretty much clueless on what to get. I tried EC resos, and they always had ridiculous overtones I (while not being a master tuner) couldnt get out. Which is funny, because they are supposed to cut out overtones, but I digress.

Anyone know any?

Alright, cool. I'll just have to try them both out, i suppose.

what about reso heads? I'm pretty much clueless on what to get. I tried EC resos, and they always had ridiculous overtones I (while not being a master tuner) couldnt get out. Which is funny, because they are supposed to cut out overtones, but I digress.

Anyone know any?

I subscribe to the gospel of having the same weight head as my resos. So if I'm using G2's, I'll put G2's on the bottoms too. They might be clear if I use coated on the tops, or they both might be clear, but that's what I do. I like what I get out of that. I never understood the thinner head on the bottom - I want the drum to resonate the same from both sides. I don't want a higher pitch on the bottom (if both heads are tuned equally).

Others use thinner heads on the bottom, and those sound great too, though.

I have evans g2 heads on my toms (sonor 3007) and the coating is still going strong and i've had them on there since last christmas. But, I had a remo ambassador on my floor for a week or two before that and the coating was chipping and marked -i know we're talking about emperors, so i guess the 2ply head coating may last a little longer?

But sound wise, I find the evans g2s to be a little plasticky -but i haven't tried emperors on those drums, so maybe emperors would sound like that too (and i've read that certain heads do just have a plasticky sound on certain drums). I'll definitely be trying emperors on my toms when i finally decide to switch the g2s out, to see if they sound any different.

Maybe the best thing for you to do if you're not sure which is best would be to buy 1 of each head in the same size of one of your toms and try them both on that tom for a while and see which you prefer

Comparing the two heads is like comparing the grain patterns on a broomhandle.

They both serve the same purpose, and practically do the same thing, and the nuance doesn't really affect the product.

It's been said that evans heads are more durable, so assuming that's true, if you want the heads to last longer, go ahead and get the Evans. If that's not an issue, it's a completely arbitrary decision. And in that case, congrats, you've defeated each company's respective marketing department.

I go with Remo, just because it's Remo. The Emperors are classics, who can argue with that?

Essentially, yes. Both are 2 simple plies of 7 mil mylar. There are minor differences in assembly and coatings used by Remo and Evans. That those differences result in a difference in tunning, playing, sound, or durability is purely subjective.

MYLAR is DUPONTS trade name for their polyester film (PET). In the UK its called something different, Asia uses a different trade name for their PET.

DUPONT has over 100 different varieties of MYLAR.

The PET used by REMO is slightly different than the PET used by EVANS and both are a different than what ATTACK uses etc. Its not a cornered market like KELLER drum shells, there's more than a few manufactures of PET film.

What's known as MYLAR was originally created in the UK.

This is quite the interesting thread to read through from my perspective. Yes, there are differences in how the heads are made. Yes, this results in a different head (with slightly different characteristics). Is there a sonic difference? Of course! Will everyone hear it on every drum? No, not a chance.

If you really want to draw conclusions about the difference, I suggest going to a local drum dealer and convincing them to setup two of the same drum with each head. Tune them up and see what you get. Get a bunch of your friends involved. This would be a great opportunity for you to make direct comparisons between heads. Nothing beats first hand experience...

Back