Jeff Porcaro

One unmentioned peice of jeffs id reccomend is the song 'Homeboy' from the Michael mcdonald album 'Take it to heart'. Some lovely Hi-hat work, and some of the nicest fills Ive heard from him. Amazing flowing feel to the whole track. Awesome.

Tim

Re: "Homeboy"

Tim,

You're right.
That track smokes.
I read in an '02 Paiste article with Mangiacaro and Keltner where Jim had stated one of the things he listens for (and did) with Jeff's tunes was the hat. Keltner's statement that Jeff 'had a beautiful way of playing hi hat', and it's true. Such an effortless, silky way of playing that made anything sparkle.
"Homeboy" is just one example of that.

Thanks for the reminder!
T

Jeff: Paiste Ad Photo Question

jeffporcarosi3.jpg

Does anyone here know who the photographer was for this shot of Jeff?

(I've seen the ad itself, but I've never seen a photographer's name attached).

Thanks!
T

Re: Jeff: Paiste Ad Photo Question

jeffporcarosi3.jpg

Does anyone here know who the photographer was for this shot of Jeff?

(I've seen the ad itself, but I've never seen a photographer's name attached).

Thanks!
T

I've it right in front of me but ain't no photographer written on it.

One unmentioned peice of jeffs id reccomend is the song 'Homeboy' from the Michael mcdonald album 'Take it to heart'. Some lovely Hi-hat work, and some of the nicest fills Ive heard from him. Amazing flowing feel to the whole track. Awesome.

Tim

That's a rare example of Jeff playing the hi-hat with BOTH hands.

Check out "Wrong side of the tracks" (David Roberts): Jeff playing the hi-hat with the RIGHT hand only at his best!!

Tim

What a strange nick do you have.
Are you italian? :))

Re: Jeff: Paiste Ad Photo Question

I've it right in front of me but ain't no photographer written on it.

Photographer is Nick Zlowzer, according to somebody at Toto Network.

That's a name I'm not familiar with. I still like the composition of the piece though. Cool stuff.

Re: "Homeboy"

Tim,

You're right.
That track smokes.
I read in an '02 Paiste article with Mangiacaro and Keltner where Jim had stated one of the things he listens for (and did) with Jeff's tunes was the hat. Keltner's statement that Jeff 'had a beautiful way of playing hi hat', and it's true. Such an effortless, silky way of playing that made anything sparkle.
"Homeboy" is just one example of that.

Thanks for the reminder!
T

Cool, yeah I really like his hat playing with two hand as well as just one! He always got a nice sound from those paistes..

Cheers alexdrum, ill check that track out. And no im not italian! just a slight (originaly unintentional) play on my name, Tim Hiscocks. I realised what it said after I created numerous email accounts!

P.S. I can confirm another track where he plays absolutely amazing hand-to-hand hi hat is on a track called 'gone Buttlefishin'' on James Newton Howards 'Freinds' album, which was originaly reccomended by Stu-Strib on this thread which I then bought. Thanks again for that reccomendation. Jeff really has played on too many things!

Tim

Tim,

Buttlefishin' is such a great track, isn't it!?

My all-time favorite for hats is Lady Love Me (One More Time) by George Benson. Again, one handed sixteenths!

A few more I highly recommend...

Lonely Talk, Michael McDonald
Any Foolish Thing, Michael McDonald (Best shuffle in my opinion)
Point It Up, Larry Carlton (The groove at 3':44" in is to die for!)

Alexdrum,

All Dressed up is really growing on me at the moment. Wrong Side Of The Tracks is awesome. I love the break in the middle of the song, that trademark opening of the hi-hat followed by a nice triplet roll on the snare! =)

Yes, the 8th note hihat part is part of the original drum track, while the 16ths are an overdub. There's an old article from Modern Drummer where he talks about the Silk Degrees sessions and how he had fun improvising with himself for that overdub.

actually Porcaro DIDN'T like the idea of a double tracked hi-hat on that tune at first. but apparently he got over it quickly for sure!!

still my 2nd favorite drummer after Buddy.

Tim,

My all-time favorite for hats is Lady Love Me (One More Time) by George Benson. Again, one handed sixteenths!

Alexdrum,

All Dressed up is really growing on me at the moment. Wrong Side Of The Tracks is awesome. I love the break in the middle of the song, that trademark opening of the hi-hat followed by a nice triplet roll on the snare! =)

Another great track is "Without you" on Runaway by Bill Champlin: great fill at the intro.
Check out also "Satisfaction" on the same album and then tell me who is the drummer 'cause I'm pretty sure it isn't Jeffrey (maybe is John Robinson)...

Another great track is "Without you" on Runaway by Bill Champlin: great fill at the intro.
Check out also "Satisfaction" on the same album and then tell me who is the drummer 'cause I'm pretty sure it isn't Jeffrey (maybe is John Robinson)...

To my (limited!) knowledge, the only track with Jeff on that album is Without You. I agree, Satisfaction is very JR. And yes, great opening fill!

Talking of fills, here's a gem for you (if you don't know it already)...

Superstar, by Richard Marx.

You know that fill from How Many Times / Toto (4:05 in), well at the end of Superstar, you can hear the same fill slowed right down, here you can really break it down and hear how it's done.

And here's a challenge for you...

The album View From The Ground by America has no track credits. Have a listen and tell me which tracks you think are Jeff. I have my ideas, but don't want to influence your decision.

Last edited:
Tim,

Alexdrum,

Cheers guys, thatll be a couple more hours on amazon then! I didnt even know he played on a Benson album, ill look that one up. Is it older or newer than 'give me the night'?

Alexdrum: What kind of genre is Bill Champlin? Ill check that out

Totally agree with you on 'any foolish thing' thats always been my favourite shuffle groove of his, more so than rosanna. It is more simple and just flows nicely I think.

Any one know where I can get 'All dressed up' from? Amazon uk dont have it and amazon us have it only second hand and not international shipping....

As for the America album, ive never heard it but JRs hats are normally quite distinctive 'light' sounding... Although I still cant decide who plays which songs on Madonnas 'like a prayer', which they both play on too....V annoying when they dont list track credits!

Tim

Hi Tim

You're most welcome. I can talk all day when it comes to JP.

The Benson album is In Your Eyes (1983), slightly later than GMTN i think. I highly recommend this album. It has only one Jeff track, but the rest are made up of Steve Gadd, Carlos Vega, Steve Ferrone etc!!!!!!! Superb Album.

This has been posted before I assume, but it's like the bible to me. I have a print out handy when out shopping for music!! (Sad B**tard!!)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~cybraria/

Happy hunting!!!

Oh, forgot to mention, I believe Jeff's groove can be heard on the track Cherish (Like A Prayer). There's no specific credit to that, but I read it in a mag somewhere. One listen, and it will confirm it I think!

I hate it when there's no credits. There's too many examples of this!!

Oh, forgot to mention, I believe Jeff's groove can be heard on the track Cherish (Like A Prayer). There's no specific credit to that, but I read it in a mag somewhere. One listen, and it will confirm it I think!

I hate it when there's no credits. There's too many examples of this!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh,
this hunting for Jeff Porcaro uncredited track is gettin VERY INTERESTING....
I also vote for "Cherish" being a Jeff Porcaro's take.

On the same album, I'm pretty sure it's Johnathan "sugarfoot" Moffet on "Like a prayer".
Pay attention to his trademark rolls on the hi-hat and the fact that they are played mostly with the tips only, not with the shoulders. Plus his hi-hat sound doesn't recall the Paiste sound.

Bill Champlin "Runaway" album is an A.O.R. masterpiece, very highly recommended.

On the same album, I'm pretty sure it's Johnathan "sugarfoot" Moffet on "Like a prayer".
Pay attention to his trademark rolls on the hi-hat and the fact that they are played mostly with the tips only, not with the shoulders. Plus his hi-hat sound doesn't recall the Paiste sound.

Yes, I imagine moffet when listening to this tune. I know that Express Yourself is all JR.

PS, Lee Ritenour's another "I don't wanna bother crediting my tracks" cat!

Captain Fingers is such a good album. BUT NO CREDITS!!!!!! =(

I have that issue of Modern Drummer and I'm so glad I do. Every year or so I go back and read that article, as it's a great reminder of what makes for beautiful drumming AND music..

Back