DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-28-2017, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Jim Gordon

#160 Report Post
Unread Today, 07:32 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Rineuron's opinion&viewpoint.Here in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia we're expereincing a unprecendented crime wave involving young black African males committing car-jackings, home invasions, armed robberies, burgalries (excuse my spelling!).These youths are young as 11 been co-erced&forced by older males to committ these crimes or else face serious injury or death to both themsleves&there families.Does anyone know as to Jim's parole conditions (IF&WHEN) he's likely to be released etc?, his current mental state?.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

todays Jimmy G...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4mcRpWAyRM
Old 03-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

same song, dif group... love his train beat....LOVE her voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbXmfLpiZrg
Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsEBU5yn_Bg

ok ill shut up now, love her
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1qcs_BFpiM
Old 03-30-2017, 10:46 PM

https://youtu.be/X1qcs_BFpiM?list=PL...fAw9A0UVF-mFtE

I made a playlist with many of the the links in this thread, and a few others that were mentioned. There are a couple of exceptions, but mainly Gordon drumming. Makes for a great practice. Inspiring listen, like a lot of the rest of you, I grew up with this stuff. Thanks for the links! It needs more Derek and the Dominos, and sorry, I'm a sucker for some 3 Dog Night.

Last edited by Tone Laborer; 03-31-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsEBU5yn_Bg

ok ill shut up now, love her
Keep 'em coming brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
https://youtu.be/X1qcs_BFpiM?list=PL...fAw9A0UVF-mFtE

I made a playlist with many of the the links in this thread, and a few others that were mentioned. There are a couple of exceptions, but mainly Gordon drumming. Makes for a great practice.
Thanks for sharing this!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Yes, TL- thanks for putting that YouTube video list together.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Total sucker for three dog night as well...floyds real greasy
Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Total sucker for three dog night as well...floyds real greasy
TDN...those guys make music with so much soul. Greasy chicken grease. They blend so well they become homogenized.

J man you go man.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

I knew us east coast fellas would get along! I'm in Baltimore, MD. Someone had mentioned Gordon Miller music next to Skateland a while back and it put a big smile on my face. Got my first kit there in maybe '96, Pearl Export I believe, probably sold to me Mark St. Pierre (sick local drummer...along with John Thomakos). Was shy to join this place for way too long.

Thank you Bernhard, what an amazing place you've created!! What an incredible gift to the drumming community!!
Old 04-01-2017, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIneuron View Post
I cannot let this go unchallenged.
Sure. But that doesn't mean you've proven it wrong, just that you've expressed a different opinion.

I'm aware the opinion you're expressing exists. I simply disagree.

Quote:
Our legal system (and mental health system) recognizes that there are times when a person has reduced responsibility for their actions.
Our legal system has also locked people up for life for buying and/or selling a plant that grows naturally. It has released murderers into the populace to murder again, and executed the innocent. It is not foolproof or infallible.

Quote:
Imagine ...
How are your examples different from the case we're discussing? They aren't any more convincing. They're just more examples. I still think your conclusion is wrong. At the end of the day, 'reduced responsibility' or not, the person committing the crime commits the crime. Patty Hearst helped rob banks. Karla Homolka helped torture and murder women. And taking it to the natural Internet extreme: German soldiers committed horrific acts during WWII. All of them have excuses. And ultimately, all of them are responsible for what they did.

Quote:
Secondly, locking mentally ill people up forever is not the solution.
Well, I didn't say that was the solution. I'm actually very much in favor of capital punishment for capital crimes. But if locking people up is all you have, I find that infinitely preferable to shrugging your shoulders, saying "ah well, it wasn't _entirely_ your fault", and releasing the criminal back on the community. Recidivism rates strongly support my arguments.

For the same reason, I don't understand why everyone gets worked up about Death Row inmates with low IQ or mental disorders. The punishment is for the crime, not the mental capacity of the criminal. Equality before the law is a fundamental and important concept.

Quote:
Most psychiatric disorders are treatable.
No, at best some psychiatric disorders are _druggable_. The thing is, many with chemical imbalance psychosis will not take their drugs without constant direct supervision (Jim Gordon is one of those people).

I think it is the height of hubris to assert that we "understand" the mind or we can correct psychosis. We can't even correct basic bad behavior with any level of confidence or repeatability; again, examine recidivism rates. Some people straighten out, but again I would say that is primarily their own action (influenced by the actions of others, but still at the end their own action). Nobody 'fixes' them; they simply help illuminate paths by which they can fix themselves ... or not.

Quote:
While it can be comforting to think in absolutes, reality is often in shades of grey.
Not to victims. It's 'shades of grey' for people with the luxury to pontificate life's mysteries. And I don't think I'm the one who comes across as 'comforted' by my beliefs; for example, I don't consider my position to be some badge of honor or higher plane of thinking. It's just factual and rational evaluation (at the end of the day, no matter how disparaging one might attempt to make the term seem, that's what "black and white thinking" is: rational evaluation based on objective criteria).

I simply think you have misguided empathy, and you are not correctly evaluating the cost/benefit equation. It is a great cost to society to approach crime the way you are suggesting - it's not your fault! Someone coerced you into your crime! It was the alcohol! - and of little (if any) benefit ... except to the criminal, with whom I always have less empathy than the victim.

When caught committing a crime, everyone will cast about for reasons it's not their fault. How will you know when it's true or not? It seems we just keep sliding towards more and more excuses - I think if someone tried that "Twinkie" defense that got laughed out of court decades ago, they'd succeed today. It just seems smarter to me to hold people responsible for what they do.

All that said ... let's Jump Into the Fire!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qgh...EB898A69F86740

Last edited by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken; 04-01-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

I somehow thought the political and civil lawmaking forums were somewhere else on the internet.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Gold Member

AllTheCoolNames...you are not a doctor, and it's pretty obvious not a mental health professional. Maybe you stayed at a holiday Inn or perhaps played a dinner gig there?

Anyway, if the Guinness Book of World Records had a record for highest degree of groove, Jim would hold that record. "jmo"
Old 04-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
AllTheCoolNames...you are not a doctor, and it's pretty obvious not a mental health professional. Maybe you stayed at a holiday Inn or perhaps played a dinner gig there?

Anyway, if the Guinness Book of World Records had a record for highest degree of groove, Jim would hold that record. "jmo"
There's a lot of people more qualified than anyone who's posted in this thread that are involved in his case who think it's a good idea to keep this guy locked up. Great drummer? Sure. Murderer? Ask his Mom......oh that's right, she's dead. What I find a little creepy in this thread is the total lack of sympathy for what his Mom endured and ultimately succumbed to. I don't think he'll ever be paroled/released and I'm totally OK with that.

some tidbits by people that played with him

........Jim Gordon, to whom the second section of Layla is credited, was, meanwhile, proving something of a liability. Although an accomplished session drummer, when he went out on the road, the exposure to vast quantities of drink and drugs brought out an extremely troubling side to his personality: at best ambitious and manipulative, at worst violent.

“Cocaine and heroin and whisky will make you one crazy dude,” says Whitlock. “Eric and I managed to come out relatively unscathed. But Jim’s alcohol and drug intake was way over the top. It was pretty scary what was going down.”

Gordon had ambitions to write songs – an ambition he was not readily able to fulfil. And, when things didn’t go his way, he could quickly turn nasty. “I’d been in a relationship with Jim,” says the singer Rita Coolidge, “and that had fallen apart because he had gotten violent with me once. I just wanted him away from me.”

Gordon’s personality disorder was a major factor in the demise of Derek and the Dominos. More seriously, in 1983, it led to Gordon’s conviction for murder. On June 3, Gordon drove to the Hollywood home of his 72-year-old mother, Osa, attacked her with a hammer and then fatally stabbed her. He has been in prison ever since.

Last edited by T_Weaves; 04-01-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Gold Member

Default Jim Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I couldn't find a thread in the Drummers forum dedicated to Jim, other than an old one from a couple years ago that never got a reply.

There was a thread larryace started last year about Jim's mental illness and the tragic circumstances that followed.

But what I came here to talk about is how f***ng good this guy was....
There are other threads for the other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWPUuK6sNXg

I love this version
Old 04-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Nice version...not sure if Ive heard that one. Have we posted any of the silly Jazznpops tunes....they're different....but great drumming...love the 4 little pics they show, hadnt seen those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfH2...EG3N5o&index=5
Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

Speaking of Jeff in the other thread, here's his reference for the perfect shuffle feel....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCxeHVFL1v8
Old 04-02-2017, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

and just cuz its too much fun....Jeff and Jim together. I believe Walter Becker said it felt like being on the tracks between two trains going by. I wouldn't have hated to have been there, wasn't invited, hurtful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rId_20UL5Ig
Old 04-03-2017, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nice version...not sure if Ive heard that one. Have we posted any of the silly Jazznpops tunes....they're different....but great drumming...love the 4 little pics they show, hadnt seen those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfH2...EG3N5o&index=5
I did not know about "Jimmy Gordon & His Jazznpops Band." Pics are too funny; is he crouching down in a field for that cover photo? And dig the "casually leaning on my elbow, pointing a finger" look.

Tunes/arrangements are a bit (or maybe a lot) cheesy , but as always, the drumming kills. Seamless and always stating the time right where it needs to be.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

Yeah I did post his Jazznpops stuff in this thread

But one interesting thing I found a few months ago, I think it was Jim Gordon playing the 1978 Grammy Awards, as a backing drummer. There are a bunch of clips (it took a while to dig through everything online) but he may have played that! I'll have to dig that relic this weekend, because it was some good stuff.

There's also the Muppet movie? in the 70's that he drummed on, had some nice grooves that are long forgotten today.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Ooh dig'm up my man, my ears would love a lil taste of that action
Old 04-04-2017, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Yeah.....but can YOU dig it?

https://youtu.be/39nQ77IN04k

Does it get any better than funk from this era? I think the king of this era has to be https://youtu.be/y_moB85G7x

Sorry for thread crossover again...got my James confused for a second
Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

It's funny, I think I read in one of Scott K. Fishs' interviews that Jim mentioned that some of the Friends of Distinction stuff was challenging for him. Something was challenging for him, lol...I get a kick out of that (like superman admitting catching a crashing helicopter was a bit difficult for him). But when u give it a good listen you can see why he said that.

SKF I live for your posts....thank you sir and keep them coming please!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah I did post his Jazznpops stuff in this thread

But one interesting thing I found a few months ago, I think it was Jim Gordon playing the 1978 Grammy Awards, as a backing drummer. There are a bunch of clips (it took a while to dig through everything online) but he may have played that! I'll have to dig that relic this weekend, because it was some good stuff.

There's also the Muppet movie? in the 70's that he drummed on, had some nice grooves that are long forgotten today.
That would be awesome Brian. Thanks!

And the Muppet Movie? Holy crap, I didn't know that was Jim as well.

Quote:
Yeah.....but can YOU dig it?

https://youtu.be/39nQ77IN04k

Does it get any better than funk from this era? I think the king of this era has to be https://youtu.be/y_moB85G7x

Sorry for thread crossover again...got my James confused for a second
I CAN dig it! Second link isn't working for me though Josh.

Quote:
SKF I live for your posts....thank you sir and keep them coming please!
Same here. Forgive my effusiveness but I say the man is a national treasure. ;-)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

Whoops sorry, hopefully this works...

https://youtu.be/aep9Q0fSnSk
Old 04-04-2017, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

Sorry for posting that in wrong thread. I'll stop doing that. It's just that now I have people to discuss this stuff with...love that!! Thanks for the warm welcome
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Whoops sorry, hopefully this works...

https://youtu.be/aep9Q0fSnSk
Ah, another "I didn't know that was JG" tune! Grooving a pocket that's a mile deep baby! Love it.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Sorry Spleeeeny that was James Gadson, got off on a tangent there...i get excited to share what makes me happy in hopes it makes others happy. But sorry for wrong section post.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry Spleeeeny that was James Gadson, got off on a tangent there...i get excited to share what makes me happy in hopes it makes others happy. But sorry for wrong section post.
Ah, the other "JG." ;-)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:10 AM

Does anyone on here know him personally?,
Or of the state of his parole(if he's to be paroled),
&State of his mental health?.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMP-1ATaOs

how is that drum and snare sound

boom, bap; boom, bap :D
Old 04-11-2017, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMP-1ATaOs

how is that drum and snare sound

boom, bap; boom, bap :D
Love it! Getting' all bouncy up in there! Testify Brother!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Very cool! Hadnt heard that, only the version on Last Boogie in Paris. Nice
Old 04-18-2017, 05:36 AM
Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7342uPb7QY
sensational
Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Sensational indeed. Man I love his drum sound! If that drum sound is dated, then its dated like chocolate ice cream is dated. Doesn't get much better for me.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Jim jumps the hurdle from playing a drum part that feels like it was stuck on top of the song to a drum part that is integral to the architecture of the foundation of the song. He makes it sound so perfectly natural, you almost take it for granted because it's so solid and reliable. How many hit songs was he on again?

To me personally, Jim is a much deeper drummer than his mentor Hal. No disrespect ever for Hal who probably bested Jim in number of hits. Just my personal take on it.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

No one makes a song feel better and have a better chance of being a hit than Jim. To me he's the king of bread and butter drumming. Countless hits
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Jim jumps the hurdle from playing a drum part that feels like it was stuck on top of the song to a drum part that is integral to the architecture of the foundation of the song. He makes it sound so perfectly natural, you almost take it for granted because it's so solid and reliable. How many hit songs was he on again?

To me personally, Jim is a much deeper drummer than his mentor Hal. No disrespect ever for Hal who probably bested Jim in number of hits. Just my personal take on it.
Could not agree more with Boogie and yourself. I think Hal play on 10x more hits but I like the music Jim played on more. Probably because I am younger. a lot of truly young drummers are missing out if they miss out on his music and catalogue!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, Jim just had a way of placing all the notes in just the right places, orchestrating with dynamics, phrasing and taste that always felt really, really good. I don't think he could NOT play that way--he always sounds so good on every recording. Live, studio, bootleg...the guy was just always on.