Hole Cutting

benomino324

I want to burn a hole in my 22" Ludwig Resonant head. My parents do not think I need to do that because they think it will mess up the kit. How can I convince them to let me burn a hole through with a can?

Do you mean cutting a hole. Or do you actually want to burn a hole in the head. I think if you were to burn a hole in a head the plastic would get all melty. The hole would probably look misshapen too.

Here is a something you can read and try to convince your parents to let you cut a hole. You may also want to show them pictures of drummers that have ports on their reso heads and say most gigging drummers have holes in their reso heads and it doesn't ruin the kit, it actually makes it easier for the sound guys to mic the kit.. Also if you don't want to cut a hole in the head, try the Evans EMAD resonant head (it also comes with a foam ring that, according to Bob Gatzen, makes the tone of the bass drum sound lower).

Last edited:
As someone who has burned many holes, I can assure you that the hole won't get all melty.

Show your parents some pictures of drummers with holes in their reso heads, as previously mentioned. Also, and here's the selling point: it will make your kit a bit quieter!

Tell them it's common practice. Or, you can get them to buy you a head with a hole in it, if they're THAT set on you not burning the original head...

As someone who has burned many holes, I can assure you that the hole won't get all melty.

Why would someone rather burn a hole than cut it? Wouldn't cutting it look nicer because burning a hole would make it look charred around the edges of the hole, right?

it wont always be like that, if the tin is hot enough it will sever the plastic like a knife, and sometimes people dont trust themselves to do a perfect round hole with a knife.

it wont always be like that, if the tin is hot enough it will sever the plastic like a knife, and sometimes people dont trust themselves to do a perfect round hole with a knife.

Although you could just take soda can and cut around it, or pencil it out and then cut it. To me if you want a hole in the reso buy a new head.

I want to burn a hole in my 22" Ludwig Resonant head. My parents do not think I need to do that because they think it will mess up the kit. How can I convince them to let me burn a hole through with a can?

Your first mistake was telling your parents what you intend to do. NEVER do that!

There's plenty of photographic evidence if they're hesitant - heck, I think a lot of manufacturers cut holes in heads at various levels - look for a pic of that maybe.

As far as cutting holes, my weapon of choice for years has been:

GetFile.download

Easy as pie. Takes about 20 seconds, no heat, no fuss.

Remo makes hole-cutting templates called...wait for it...REM-O's! All you have to do is stick them on and cut the hole out with a sharp knife. Very easy, very cheap, no burning involved!

Why would someone rather burn a hole than cut it? Wouldn't cutting it look nicer because burning a hole would make it look charred around the edges of the hole, right?

No. You're not actually "burning" the head, but causing the plastic to melt. Actually, it makes for a very smooth, very round, non-charred hole. It's sooooo quick and easy. You can just leave the head on your kit and put the hot can right on it. With a quick twist (no pressure, really), you have a hole as perfectly round as the can you used.

Do this only under the supervision of your parents, kids. And double-up on the hot-pad holders. That can won't feel hot until you hold it for about 10 seconds...

No. You're not actually "burning" the head, but causing the plastic to melt. Actually, it makes for a very smooth, very round, non-charred hole. It's sooooo quick and easy. You can just leave the head on your kit and put the hot can right on it. With a quick twist (no pressure, really), you have a hole as perfectly round as the can you used.

Do this only under the supervision of your parents, kids. And double-up on the hot-pad holders. That can won't feel hot until you hold it for about 10 seconds...

Would you get the can hot by putting it in the oven? If not not, what would get the can hot? A toaster? "Come on you stupid can get in the toaster."

I burned a 3.5 inch hole in my reso bass head easily. I just took the metal part and placed it on the stove on high for a few minutes. When heated, I used tongs to handle the metal. Choose your spot on the head and press for a easily cut hole.

I know this probably isn't a issue, but wouldn't burning the hole be better in term of durability because it would create a melted seal on the edge compared to jagged cuts. Of course, the only force that the hole experiences is from the blast of the kicker and the tension from the hoop.

I know this probably isn't a issue, but wouldn't burning the hole be better in term of durability because it would create a melted seal on the edge compared to jagged cuts.

Errant mic or mic stand beats hole every time, unless it's got some sort of reinforcement around it.

Back