Jojo in a different context

Pretty cool old school sound. Moved up from garage band to kitchen band.

OK, so I understand the vibe here. A great player playing on a junk drum set. And jamming just for jamming sake. It's fun, adorable and cute.
Now we have an example of good playing on a bad sounding drum kit, where the drums still sound bad no matter how well they are played!

I hate toms that sound like cardboard boxes.

After so many long journeys into various fields of music - even Fusion and Odd Meters - on my way back home and roots:
Yes, that's what i like most....makes me happy and feeling good...

Bernhard

I've had kits turn up on live stage sounding worse than that, & the owners believing I can make them sound heavenly. At least you can hear the snare wires ;)

Good bit of fun - I like the vibe. Yes, the toms are beyond horrible, but it doesn't matter :)

I enjoyed that.. Good musicianship. Was almost like watching them make a parody of an old school college jam session. Nostalgia is awesome, and made me think....

The 15yo me would have killed to get the gear the 40yo me has right now.
The 40yo me would kill to have the gear I had when I was 15yo.

Pretty cool old school sound.

My thoughts exactly... aah, the good old days.

I enjoyed the jam pretty much and Jojo seems very happy and enjoying it too, as for the drum sound... well...

Attachments

• Duct Tape.jpg
    Duct Tape.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 233
Good bit of fun - I like the vibe. Yes, the toms are beyond horrible, but it doesn't matter :)

Well, you didn't expect me to ignore that statement from a drum builder, did you? Now you'll need to be taught a lesson!

What I don't understand is why use all that duct tape? Its not like the toms are close mic'ed and you are getting all "tone" out of the drums. It looks like a 2 mic setup at best. One on the snare and maybe a mono overhead. With all that tape on the toms (and the lack of a reso head on the bass drum) you get cardboard sounding drums. The guitars are mic'ed well, and their sound is pretty good, but the drums sound like sh#t. Yeah, this is a "jam session" and maybe that crappy teenage garage band sound is what they were going for, but c'mon. You bring in someone like Jojo Mayer and put him on a crappy kit (yeah its kind of fun with the juxtaposition of it all), then you mic the kit in a really piss poor way so all the nuances that a drummer like Jojo brings to the table gets thrown out the window. Jojo is clearly putting in far more than he is getting out. Its a bit disappointing because it could have been a far cooler recording and jam session if they would have put in some effort in tuning the drums and micing them in a better manner. Oh well.

Edit: At first I thought Porter was making fun of my comment on the 60p video in that other thread, and maybe she still is, but I don't find this video to be too annoying. Yeah there's differences in the quality between the handheld (probably a DSLR with a 35 or 50mm on it) and the still cam (probably an iPhone) but its not such a huge distraction to me in this one. If it were 60p, though, you would be hearing me complain. ;)

All drum sounds are relevant, and definitely more so with a good drummer.

Most drummers if they were to sit behind Buddy Rich's kit would probably not like the sound. Bonham's ringy sets too, most would not find them pleasing to play. It really is the drummer who makes the drum kit sound good, the actual playing trumps the sound in all cases. A big part of that is the fact sound is so subjective, technique and ability less so.

I get the vibe here, weather or not the fretted instruments are relics or not is beyond me, but the drums remind me of the days when cocaine was prevalent on the scene, uber sensitivity, heightened senses resulting in alterations via gaffers tape to make nice nice with sensitive studio mics and new recording gear, all that noise. That sound is a part of the mid-late 20th century record.

All drum sounds are relevant, and definitely more so with a good drummer.
It really is the drummer who makes the drum kit sound good, the actual playing trumps the sound in all cases.

"In all cases". ?????

Why should I believe this, from a guy who's name is Les Ismore? LOL

At first I thought Porter was making fun of my comment on the 60p video in that other thread, and maybe she still is, but I don't find this video to be too annoying.

I'm not making fun, it's just been a consistent niggle of mine since Youtube started supporting 60fps earlier this year. I guess less people notice it than I thought. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's fun. Not fond of that drum sound-- seems contrivedly "low-fi"-- but I like it that all the detail gets washed out. It's also kind of cool that, as great as Jojo is, there are probably other drummers who would be more at home with that sound and that vibe. Glad this type of thing is finding its way into the conversation.

Back