The Forgotten Beatle (Jimmy Nicol)

Wow. I had heard the name, but never knew the story. Talk about odds though - filling in for Ringo - that must've been a rush - even if no one was listening! But to suddenly be left at the airport waiting for your flight home, that must've been depressing.

I'm not surprised George was the only one demonstrating any loyalty to Sir Starkey. Paul and John always battling egos.
Conspiracy theory is that Nicols disappeared for decades -but actually he was in plain sight having surgeries to look like Ringo (took a lot of cartilage from all over his body to build the handsome Ringo nose). It became so obvious after he had his legs whittled down to be shorter he was wanting to be Ringo. The authorities raided his home finding the insidious plot where he was planning to replace the real Ringo. So we'd have two fake Beatles running around -Paul, who the real died decades ago, and a new Ringo. Thankfully the plot was spoiled.

Last edited:
I remember this story from one of the many books on the BeaTles I own. Ringo was ill and left them in a bind.

I'm not surprised George was the only one demonstrating any loyalty to Sir Starkey. Paul and John always battling egos.
Conspiracy theory is that Nicols disappeared for decades -but actually he was in plain sight having surgeries to look like Ringo (took a lot of cartilage from all over his body to build the handsome Ringo nose). It became so obvious after he had his legs whittled down to be shorter he was wanting to be Ringo. The authorities raided his home finding the insidious plot where he was planning to replace the real Ringo. So we'd have two fake Beatles running around -Paul, who the real died decades ago, and a new Ringo. Thankfully the plot was spoiled.

That’s sounds incredible. Were these stories ever proven?

That’s sounds incredible. Were these stories ever proven?

Absolutely-"They" said it was all true.

And that is probably how conspiracy theories start-some idiot ripping and next thing you read about it in the National Inquirer. This "They" sure comes up a lot-must be some powerful people or well informed ;o) Makes a good name for a Band-"They" or just a solo artist "They" really mess with people heads.

When the Beatles came to Adelaide they drew the biggest crowd at a public appearance.

I was born a few months later, and my mum might have been in the crowd of 300,000. So in a way, I might have been there. I certainly don’t remember it!

Not really a Beatle though.

That's like saying Eric Clapton was a Beattle for guesting on "While My Guitar..."

Lots of bands have had fill n players on a temporary basis.

The article's title tries to imply something that wasn't.

Wasn't Ringo having his tonsils removed or something like that? I didn't think this was that unknown.

Here's the wiki article on Jimmy Nicol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie_Nicol

Did this happen before they hit America?

You could also argue Andy White has more of a claim, he played on the Beatles first 2 singles, Love Me Do and Please Please Me. He also played on P.S. I Love You.

He was paid a flat session rate for all of them and a bonus for bringing his own drums. Think of the royalties you'd have made of those songs!

*edit* yep Ringo did have his tonsils out

Everyone who handed a Beatle a napkin has written a book. If Nicol wrote one, it would be one of the few worth reading.

Back