Please read my article!

Zack Albetta

Hey everyone!

I was around here pretty frequently awhile back, under the username KCDrummer. Been off the boards awhile but glad to see they're still going strong! I've been in LA for a few years now, doing lots of playing and as of late, some writing.

This is a recently published article of mine, hope you dig it!

http://www.onlinedrummer.com/articles/the-craft-how-marketable-is-your-drumming/?fb_action_ids=10152082912042204&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%2210152082912042204%22%3A675741035808788}&action_type_map={%2210152082912042204%22%3A%22og.likes%22}&action_ref_map=[]

Cheers,
Zack

Last edited:
Zack! Good to see you again and glad to hear things are going well! I look forward to checking out your article.

All very true, the pros in L.A. have known these things for years!

I have a great deal of respect for the handful of drummers that can pursue their art, their way, and actually get paid to do so. 99.999% of working drummers can't get away with that if they want to keep working. Even Vinnie gets told to play 2&4 a lot more than people think.

Bermuda

Really enjoyed that read mate. Loved the "artist or craftsman" analogy too. I think that angle alone really provides a great perspective on why it's important to make the distinction. Nothing I didn't know, but certainly presented in a way I'd never have thought of.

BTW, am I the only one with a bodgey link?

Thanks guys! I know Bermuda knows a thing or two about recreating styles and songs--no one does it better!

Mike, KC is and always will be near and dear to my heart. But aside from the professional and personal motivators that drew me to LA, the 100 degree summers, the sub-zero winters, the humidity, the bugs and the allergies seemed like pretty good reasons to leave. I just can't hack it in the Midwest :p

Thanks guys! I know Bermuda knows a thing or two about recreating styles and songs--no one does it better!

Mike, KC is and always will be near and dear to my heart. But aside from the professional and personal motivators that drew me to LA, the 100 degree summers, the sub-zero winters, the humidity, the bugs and the allergies seemed like pretty good reasons to leave. I just can't hack it in the Midwest :p

Yeah my tongue was firmly planted in cheek when I made that post. KC is a great place to raise a family but other than that yeah it sucks. You nailed the weather and yeah allergies are a major hassle. Not to mention the music scene also sucks. We have been looking for a bass player for about 3 months now with zero luck. I wish I could just DOG RUN outta here.

I definitely come from the selective group that would rather pick and choose their gigs.

I got into drums 30 years ago because I wanted to be in a band, writing my own drum parts and playing the music that I like. I don't enjoy playing music that I don't like and I feel as if I'm betraying my inner voice every time I do. I have never been in a cover band either. It has nothing to do with complexity but rather musical choices.

I actually enjoy making my money separately from my art but I have total respect for those guys out there earning a living with their craft. Different strokes.

The article itself was well written and definitely useful for the aspiring working drummer.

Thanks for reading Jeff! Like you said, different strokes...

Mike, I'll talk smack about the climate in KC, but I'll hear entertain no smack talking about the music scene! I found it to be deep and wide with tons of history, tons of great players, and many places to play and listen. Do you live on the Kansas side? What kind of band are you in and where/how are you looking for bassists?

Really great article, applicable to a range of instruments I thought, not just drums. Certainly some food for thought there!

Really great article, applicable to a range of instruments I thought, not just drums. Certainly some food for thought there!

Thanks man! I hoped it would translate to other instruments, especially rhythm section, so please share it with your non-drummer friends. I'm also thinking about doing an article on do's and don't's for drummers, as described by non-drummers.

Well written and very true. Great job. It's the same truth in most collaborative efforts. Less about you and more about the end result. For some it's difficult to put their ego and what they "think" it's about aside and do the project. You, obviously, aren't having that problem.

Well written and very true. Great job. It's the same truth in most collaborative efforts. Less about you and more about the end result. For some it's difficult to put their ego and what they "think" it's about aside and do the project. You, obviously, aren't having that problem.

I'm an Italian Leo, so I don't think my ego will EVER be put aside :p
But you're right, our personal agendas are not usually conducive to a collaborative project. Thanks for reading!

Back