Quietest Electronic Drum set

Shaneola

I know there are some past threads on this, but nothing very recent or terribly informative. I'm going to be moving in to an apartment. I need the absolute quietest set.. And if possible, it would be great if I could bring my demon drive pedals to use with it..

I honestly don't care about anything other than the sound.. I'm going to be using it strictly for practicing, the actual acoustic noise coming off the drums is the only thing that is important to me.

Thanks!

Triggera, I actually probably will end up buying two.. Nice marketing ;)
HanSolo, interesting.. I really don't see that catching on, what do you say?

....it would be great if I could bring my demon drive pedals to use with it.....I honestly don't care about anything other than the sound..

Some info about your proposed budget and any preferred kit options could be useful to get more suggestions.
I guess the Aerodrums might appeal to anyone who already owns a suitable computer, as their only advantage seems to be silent playing. No doubt most drummers prefer the feel of sticks & pedals rebounding off a playing surface.
You could try adding some soft foam pipe insulation to your sticks for quieter practice sessions with or without an e-kit (it rebounds a bit better on mesh heads).
FYI - There is a new kick beater trigger mentioned on vdrums: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/a...trigg-internal-drum-trigger-by-triggera/page6 If it works OK on a soft surface to suppress the noise then it could be a useful alternative for your demon drive pedals. Apologies Triggera for feeding the premature speculation.

Some info about your proposed budget and any preferred kit options could be useful to get more suggestions.
I guess the Aerodrums might appeal to anyone who already owns a suitable computer, as their only advantage seems to be silent playing. No doubt most drummers prefer the feel of sticks & pedals rebounding off a playing surface.
You could try adding some soft foam pipe insulation to your sticks for quieter practice sessions with or without an e-kit (it rebounds a bit better on mesh heads).
FYI - There is a new kick beater trigger mentioned on vdrums: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/a...trigg-internal-drum-trigger-by-triggera/page6 If it works OK on a soft surface to suppress the noise then it could be a useful alternative for your demon drive pedals. Apologies Triggera for feeding the premature speculation.

Just so you know, my demon drives work just fine with the old triggera bass drum triggers BUT it does take a bit of getting used to having no beater or head to rebound off.
Maybe this new soft trigger could be the solution?

The Yamaha textured silicone surface is extremely quiet so don't assume you need to play on mesh. You can try each out at a store and compare the ambient noise level.

Well, we tested it on mylar and mesh heads and it triggered great on both surfaces.
After we launch it, users will probably try it on all possible and impossible surfaces :)
Wolfgang, (in your professional opinion) can this new trigger offer even more sound reduction than the old model (is that even possible)?

While we're discussing quiet pedals, here's a recycled post about a Roland FD-8 pedal mod for kick drum use.
If you want a quiet kick (or double) pedal, here's a cheap & easy add-on to the FD-8 pedal that provides dynamic kick trigger response for my DTX Multi-12. I've simply stuck a piezo sensor on the pedal's plastic cover and some firm foam (12mm thick) under the foot-plate that allows the pedal to trigger the pickup reliably and keep the high-hat control functioning normally. It should be possible to add a heal switch to enable/disable the kick or hihat triggers as required.
The piezo device (22d x 13h) may be sold as a buzzer, but it works OK as a trigger sensor also. I opted to connect/solder it directly to a cable with mono plug on it to avoid mounting an extra socket on the pedal cover. The piezo sensitivity was better with it's black wire connected to the plug tip and the red wire to the plug outer/screen, but it could be worth trying reverse connections.
I used a stereo plug to 2 mono sockets splitter to connect my 2 pedals into a dual trigger input (14 & 15) of the M-12, which allows independent voice settings for each one. I just changed the KP65 trigger settings Input gain to 45 (default=1) for a similar response compared to the other pads.
The pedal travel and tension are less than a standard kick pedal but the action/feel is fast enough for double bass pedal playing.
I haven't tried this mod with a Roland module so will need some feedback from anyone who wants to give it a go.

Attachments

• Roland FD-8 mod.jpg
    Roland FD-8 mod.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 3,574
While we're discussing quiet pedals, here's a recycled post about a Roland FD-8 pedal mod for kick drum use.
If you want a quiet kick (or double) pedal, here's a cheap & easy add-on to the FD-8 pedal that provides dynamic kick trigger response for my DTX Multi-12. I've simply stuck a piezo sensor on the pedal's plastic cover and some firm foam (12mm thick) under the foot-plate that allows the pedal to trigger the pickup reliably and keep the high-hat control functioning normally. It should be possible to add a heal switch to enable/disable the kick or hihat triggers as required.
The piezo device (22d x 13h) may be sold as a buzzer, but it works OK as a trigger sensor also. I opted to connect/solder it directly to a cable with mono plug on it to avoid mounting an extra socket on the pedal cover. The piezo sensitivity was better with it's black wire connected to the plug tip and the red wire to the plug outer/screen, but it could be worth trying reverse connections.
I used a stereo plug to 2 mono sockets splitter to connect my 2 pedals into a dual trigger input (14 & 15) of the M-12, which allows independent voice settings for each one. I just changed the KP65 trigger settings Input gain to 45 (default=1) for a similar response compared to the other pads.
The pedal travel and tension are less than a standard kick pedal but the action/feel is fast enough for double bass pedal playing.
I haven't tried this mod with a Roland module so will need some feedback from anyone who wants to give it a go.

But can you do heel-toe with this setup? ; )

But can you do heel-toe with this setup? ; )

I'm comfortable having my heel/s 'planted' as the pedal travel is short enough to maintain a quick & even tempo for single or double kick action.
It's probably a bit like adapting to your Krigg kick pads to get a dynamic trigger response.

Last edited:
If silence is all that matters, I'd definitely give Aerodrums a go, can't beat air drums for quietness. Of course, I would say that, I co-invented it;)

Another advantage for the OP is it's easy to bring somewhere: it weighs under two pounds and the biggest part of it is your sticks.

About rebound, it's hard to convince people without them being able to try. Drummers who tried it at NAMM liked it. Did you take a look at our video about rebound?

If silence is all that matters, I'd definitely give Aerodrums a go, can't beat air drums for quietness. Of course, I would say that, I co-invented it;)

Another advantage for the OP is it's easy to bring somewhere: it weighs under two pounds and the biggest part of it is your sticks.

About rebound, it's hard to convince people without them being able to try. Drummers who tried it at NAMM liked it. Did you take a look at our video about rebound?

I forgot address this issue in my comment in the NAMM thread.
Exactly how does one compensate for lack of rebound with this system (sorry, haven't come across the video you're talking about)?

Back