USB mic recording

BlakeS

I've been looking into recording my playing, I don't have the budget to buy the home studio type set up with micing things individually and I would also like something that I could take around with me if possible. I looked into it a bit and I found two options (may be more that I don't know of), there was the hand held camcorder style of recording, but what i worry about with that is that without spending quite a lot of money, the audio quality isn't always that great unless you spend quite a bit more money. The other option that i thought about was using a USB condenser mic, I looked at the SAMSON G-Track which seemed like a pretty good deal as it has a built in interface and some kind of software with it; but the problem with these is that I wouldn't have any video (unless I can use my webcam?) and also without taking my quite large laptop around with me I couldn't really record anywhere apart from my house.
So, is it a lot better to have the video along with the audio for purposes of technique and stuff, or should I be ok with just audio recordings, and are there any more options?

tl;dr : I need good cheap recording options, I've looked at handheld camcorders and usb condenser mics, but not sure what to go with.

Cheers, Blake

The Kodak Zi8 may be your best bet. It's a little HD camera like a flip, only way better since it has a mic input. An SM-57 going into would probably result in really good audio and video.

The Kodak Zi8 may be your best bet. It's a little HD camera like a flip, only way better since it has a mic input. An SM-57 going into would probably result in really good audio and video.

Thanks for the input, would you recommend using a dynamic microphone over a condenser for recording the entire kit? What if I want to record my band, is dynamic still the way to go then?

edit: just remembered I would most likely need phantom power for a condenser microphone =/

Last edited:
Back