Obscure drum head measurements

bannana_joe1

OK, so about a year ago I purchased a 5 piece pearl forum drum set, which came with a 14 in hat, 16 in crash, and 20 in ride. I now (for the first time) am going to buy new drum heads. The problem is, I don't now for sure what sizes I need. I have been told to measure head size, you measure from outer shell to outer shell on the opposite side, but whenever I do this I come up with obscure measurements.I researched the set I THINK I purchased, and the sizes for the toms were 12, 13 and 16. The shells are far too small to match this, and none are even numbers I.e. 14 3\8 ect.

Soooo, what size do I get? I'm sure I'm making some foolish mistake, but this has been a very frustrating 2 hours of measuring and research.

12, 13, 16 are pretty standard for a 5 piece entry kit. If its bugging you to no end, the snare is 14", use it as a reference. If your snare is smaller in diameter than your floor tom, you have a 12, 13, 16, 22 setup. If your snare is the same diameter as your floor tom you have a 10, 12, 14, 20 setup.

You're overthinking the issue.

You don't need to measure. Look at the specifications of your set (probably 12", 13", 16", 22" with a 14" snare but could also be 10", 12", 14", 20") and you will be able to find heads in the right size. Pearl make standard sizes so standard heads will fit.

So I guess it 10 12 14 20

I know I was over thinking it, I just wanted to make sure I had the right sizes, wouldn't want to waste $50+ on heads that didn't fit.

Most places should allow you to return/exchange them if you buy the wrong size as long as they're still in like-new condition. So just be careful with them until you're sure they fit.

Take your old heads with you to the shop - they'll be able to ensure you get the right sizes.

Back