...for the jazz cats ...

Hey has anybody been watching the jazz weekender on BBC4? The remastered Dave Brubeck tapes were to die for. Joe Morello was also at his finest :)

I watched bits of it in admiration and bits of it with disdain. Not the Brubeck tapes, mind. There was a performance by Chick Corea with Tony Williams and drums and was taken aback with just how straight-ahead it was - considering it was Tony circa 1990 (he had the 'New York 1990' yellow kit). I did laugh enormously at the crowd of people on one of the recordings standing there in silence, bopping their heads.

Mixed is my view. I love the BBC but I've never felt that their music coverage was particularly good - at least the television side. Radio 3 gets music right but the television channels tend not to.

The more I listen to this, the more I agree with you. It's unbelievable how much of an influence this thread alone has had on what jazz I listen to.
Philo,

Before Interstellar Space there was Meditations.
Before that, the classic A Love Supreme.
Before that, I suppose My Favourite Things (the song, more than the whole album) would be an example of Coltrane getting into the Free thing.
...and finally, lest we forget, Live at the Village Vanguard, which (I believe) falls between ALS and Meditations, chronologically.
Anyway, check them out and hear Coltrane's progression into Freedom.

Elvis

I watched bits of it in admiration and bits of it with disdain. Not the Brubeck tapes, mind. There was a performance by Chick Corea with Tony Williams and drums and was taken aback with just how straight-ahead it was - considering it was Tony circa 1990 (he had the 'New York 1990' yellow kit). I did laugh enormously at the crowd of people on one of the recordings standing there in silence, bopping their heads.

Mixed is my view. I love the BBC but I've never felt that their music coverage was particularly good - at least the television side. Radio 3 gets music right but the television channels tend not to.

I do agree. It was a nice attempt by the BBC to do something right music wise. The Brubeck tapes were just phenomenal. Plus Dave doesn't have tat god awful droning american accent at that point.

Would you guys mind checking out my playing? Kinda loud because the speakers to the crowd were on the other side, but heres the link. Do i remind you guys of anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwCoPjPzVw4

Man you play very good, you swing! I like how you bring out the sound of the hats in the groove...a la Art Blakey...i love that intention.
But if i can make you a constructive critic, i would say that you have to be careful to keep that energy for all the performance...you have to bite till the last moment of the tune and even more...i tell you this because i heard the tempo a little slower at the end...that is because the energy was not constant...i think it's better to arrive at the end with the tempo a little faster than a little slower.
Please this is a constructive critic, just think about that when you play, and you'll get a lot more.
Go ahead and i wish you all the best.

Philo,

Before Interstellar Space there was Meditations.
Before that, the classic A Love Supreme.
Before that, I suppose My Favourite Things (the song, more than the whole album) would be an example of Coltrane getting into the Free thing.
...and finally, lest we forget, Live at the Village Vanguard, which (I believe) falls between ALS and Meditations, chronologically.
Anyway, check them out and hear Coltrane's progression into Freedom.

Elvis
Oh, I think I may have given the wrong impression- Coltrane and I are old friends. With the exception of meditations(which I have acquired within the past week) and Live at the Village Vanguard(which, if it's the one I'm thinking of with his Wife and Pharoah Sanders) that I hadn't gotten because of poor reviews, I'm *extremely* familiar with those. Getting into Coltrane's freer side has been somewhat difficult for me because I'm absolutely in love with his modal side, you see.

Just was listening to transition by Trane... What a large presence! Simply intensity coming off of every player in that album. Has anyone thought that Trane and Elvin's playing were/are reminiscent of a child playing an instrument without full knowledge of what they're doing? I feel as if that's what makes the explorative aspect of Trane's playing so unique and prominent, he's exploring the song and his instrument as if a child would

Sorry Philo, my mistake.
There were at least two separate "...Village Vanguard" albums. You might be thinking of the second one.

Elvis

Hey Guys,

It has been a while since I posted (had a baby boy!), but I wanted to let any of you in the DC area know that John Riley is going to be giving a free masterclass Saturday June 8th. The event will be at The Levine School of Music Sallie Mae Hall, and I am the one setting it up, so let me know if you have any questions!

Hey Guys,

It has been a while since I posted (had a baby boy!), but I wanted to let any of you in the DC area know that John Riley is going to be giving a free masterclass Saturday June 8th. The event will be at The Levine School of Music Sallie Mae Hall, and I am the one setting it up, so let me know if you have any questions!

There you are!

I almost started a thread, "What ever happened to 'haredrums'?

Well, congratulations, Papa!!

Questions...let's see...too many to think of right now. I am curious what gear Mr. Riley is using these days; cymbals, heads, etc. Does he have a specific warmup?

In case you meant questions for you...do you have a favorite color M&M? Oh, what's the name of new little one?

Congrats, Andrew! Fun times ahead (and sleepless nights).

Hey Guys,

Congratulations..... If I recall correctly, Anthony I think is soon to be adding a family member soon as well.

Would love to see a JR masterclass or anything else with him.

Back