can someone figure this out?

ian123

can anyone tell me what chad sexton of 311 is playing for the intro of "come original"? at one point in the groove it sounds like he does some kind of double stroke roll but yet still keeps time on the hi-hats...

I don't know the tune, but as you've described it sounds like it may be a drag. You can find that in the PAS 40.

If it is a an actual roll, you may perform the roll two handed and take up the beat on the hats with your foot. Very common though tough to execute at first.

Good Luck

hmmm... i think it just sounds like a double stroke. but he's just playing 32nd notes alternating his hands, so 16ths with the right and filling in the rest with the left. He's just got insanely good feel, and the ghost notes are quality. takes practice.

Using some logic it is not possible to play a double stroke roll while you are playing a ride on the hi-hat. Over dubbing is used intensively in the studio so it usually tricks your ear to think some is doing two things at the same time.

Do not forget that when you are listening to a recording there is a chance that echo is used and also some reverb. You can change a Hi-Hats tone to sound like a Bass Drum or vice-versa. I have been in the studio so I know this is possible. Do not be fooled by what you hear on a recording. There are many recording tricks that are used by engineers in the studio. Musicians do not have full control of the outcome on a recording. The A&R (Arranging and Recording Manager) has that right. He usually makes the final decision.

Last edited:
Do not forget that when you are listening to a recording there is a chance that echo is used and also some reverb. You can change a Hi-Hats tone to sound like a Bass Drum or vice-versa. I have been in the studio so I know this is possible. Do not be fooled by what you hear on a recording. There are many recording tricks that are used by engineers in the studio. Musicians do not have full control of the outcome on a recording. The A&R (Arranging and Recording Manager) has that right. He usually makes the final decision.

Have you heard the track? It's clearly just grace notes played between the 16th notes on the hats. I'm sure Mr Sexton has no problem playing this one.

No offense to you Jack - the recording process has always fascinated me. I don't mean to come across as a jerk.

Using some logic it is not possible to play a double stroke roll while you are playing a ride on the hi-hat.

Could you please explain how you come to that conclusion? I would just like some clarity on your statement before I respond. Unless your speaking in specifics of using both limbs, then ok.. I can go with that based on what alot of people cosider a double stroke roll to be..... using both limbs.

Could you please explain how you come to that conclusion? I would just like some clarity on your statement before I respond.

I think he's being sarcastic. I don't know how anyone could think it's impossible to do double stroke on a cymbal... beyond me

I think he's being sarcastic. I don't know how anyone could think it's impossible to do double stroke on a cymbal... beyond me

Possibly, if that was what he was even speaking of cuz its hard to tell. But my curiosity was peaked.

Back