How not to play

I've seen this before. He reminds me of a less good version of Kwon Soon-Keun, aka "Korean Drummer Steals The Show" - just a crazy guy without much taste but tons of enthusiasm :)

I saw this a long time ago. I think part of the problem is that I can't hear the guitars in the video. I'm guessing they weren't put through the PA, and the PA out is what was fed to the recorder. So all you hear are the vocals and e-drums, and not the rest of the band. The original has big epic parts. The context is completely lost without the rest of the band.

Oldie but a goody.

My favorite part is how he's switching back and forth between sticks and mallets and what not... But it's an electronic kit and it makes the same noises anyway. LOL.

Oldie but a goody.

My favorite part is how he's switching back and forth between sticks and mallets and what not... But it's an electronic kit and it makes the same noises anyway. LOL.

It's like the guitar solo in Spinal Tap, where he's bowing the electric guitar with a violin, and pauses to tune the violin.

That cheered up a miserable Monday in the office!!!! I actually looked to see if he had earphones in and was playing to something different!

Awesome. I was looking for this the other day, when we were going to play this song at church. Couldn’t find it, so I missed my chance to be ridiculous. LOL!!!

Sounds like the down-side of electronic drums, when combined with the lack of a sound man owning the mix.

Everyone knows that what we hear on stage is different from what is heard out front. I wonder what he was hearing. Maybe his mix was good, but the front was wacky?

Sounds like the down-side of electronic drums, when combined with the lack of a sound man owning the mix.

Everyone knows that what we hear on stage is different from what is heard out front. I wonder what he was hearing. Maybe his mix was good, but the front was wacky?

I’m thinking he was listening to his own tunes. While that song does build in spots, it doesn’t build like that. It’s like gospel chops mixed with an 80s ballad!

Look again at the facial expressions of the singer/keyboard player. Ironically, she was in hell... At least trying to keep a good humor about it but I think the stage sounded just as bad as it did in the audience. It's not even close.

I can't even begin to understand it, with my guesses of what might have happened. A truly WTF moment in music performance history.

He wasn't even close to being in time---with anything---a drunk chimp would sound better!

That was my impression, too. Maybe there WAS supposed to be a build up there, but holy cow! It should at least be at a discernable tempo, preferably in some relationship to the song already in progress, lol.

A lot of church groups get thrown together (especially college) and sometimes you get what you get. "do you know (insert) song?" equals this...

It happens.

It's either that or this is a gimmick vid. If it is, it kept me guessing.

A lot of church groups get thrown together (especially college) and sometimes you get what you get. "do you know (insert) song?" equals this...

It happens.

It's either that or this is a gimmick vid. If it is, it kept me guessing.

This isn't the result of not knowing the song. You can not know a song while still keeping track of tempo, and dynamics as they build and release. This is the result of a total lack of awareness about anything in music other than putting lots of notes in.

It's commendable that some are giving benefit of doubt, but this would be a LOT of doubt to give away as a benefit.

This isn't the result of not knowing the song. You can not know a song while still keeping track of tempo, and dynamics as they build and release. This is the result of a total lack of awareness about anything in music other than putting lots of notes in.

It's commendable that some are giving benefit of doubt, but this would be a LOT of doubt to give away as a benefit.

I was just merely eluding to different levels of talent; usually unchecked ahead of time...

Back