Ya' gotta love those guys at the Guitar Center

A few years ago, I was told that a plan was put into place where the department manager (or someone) in every department would check other stores' prices and adjust the GC price accordingly - with new price tags as needed - so they'd always have the lowest price. This was supposed to be done on a daily basis.

I've never seen any evidence of it though.

I know when the recession hit, they laid off a lot of middle management. That program might have died out with the lack of man power.

The Northridge store actually has a computer kiosk set up in the middle of store and invites any customer to look up whatever product online to price match. I've only seen in it that location though.

We don't really have drum super stores here, so it's difficult for me to relate to some of these experiences. I guess the market just isn't big enough. That said, I'm finding these experiences very amusing, to the point whereby I'm temped to fly over just to experience the levity of these gear shopping expeditions. I have a cutting dry wit & an instant turn of phrase when pushed, so it would be a fun bit of sport for me :)

We don't really have drum super stores here, so it's difficult for me to relate to some of these experiences. I guess the market just isn't big enough. That said, I'm finding these experiences very amusing, to the point whereby I'm temped to fly over just to experience the levity of these gear shopping expeditions. I have a cutting dry wit & an instant turn of phrase when pushed, so it would be a fun bit of sport for me :)

Not sure Andy. They just wouldn't get you.

Now that I think about it, the part about buying stuff there that really annoys me the most is the whole asking for telephone number and address and having to spell my last name every time I want to buy anything from a set of strings to a pair of sticks. F* them and their marketing. I hate junk mail and databases. Just let me pay some cash and leave me alone with all the info gathering. I hate that crap most of all.

I'm not there to seek their advice or talk shop, that's for sure.

this is why I buy all music gear online.....as much as I like to support local business, I just don't like attitude... although the kid I usually get at my local store is alright, if I'm desperate for something in a hurry, and run in there I usually start by asking for " 21" RACK TOM HEADS" try that one on them. :p

Now that I think about it, the part about buying stuff there that really annoys me the most is the whole asking for telephone number and address and having to spell my last name every time I want to buy anything from a set of strings to a pair of sticks. F* them and their marketing. I hate junk mail and databases. Just let me pay some cash and leave me alone with all the info gathering. I hate that crap most of all.

I'm not there to seek their advice or talk shop, that's for sure.

Well put. This reminds me of AOL. Do you remember those television advertisements with beautiful young people speaking softly and sincerely, and telling us that all they ever wanted in life was to demonstrate how much they truly respected our privacy? After installing the software, I went to "marketing preferences", and, by default, I was automatically signed on to every type of junk mail you could possibly imagine. I mean, there was literally a list which went on and on and on, and every last one of them had a check mark by it.

You see, those at the highest level on the food chain think that we are stupid.

I ordered a few cymbals from G.C. online. Since I didn't want them left at my door ,I had them delivered to the nearest store. When I went to pick them up,it took an hour and fifteen minutes. They wouldn't let me leave, until they figured out how to remove the cymbals from their inventory. Every manager in the building was paged. Finally, I simply told them that I had the cymbals and the paid invoice in my hand an I was leaving. It's the last thing I have bought from them.

Sadly, all of these are typical experiences in these places for me as well.

Isn't it nice to have someone who hasn't been alive longer than you've been playing drums telling you about what you need and don't need? Also - why does it matter to them what sizes you play - it's their role to furnish what you need.

When I come across this, I let them know that I have drum sticks older than them......

I usually know what I want before I get to any store, so it doesn't really matter what kind of half whit works there. I usually trust my word over theirs anyways. I know the product I am looking for, and the price I want to pay.

The problem with having wit is that you need others to understand it...

I got a call this morning from one of my local (30 miles away) Guitar Centers letting me know that they just received a Ludwig LM404 snare drum with case in trade and wanted to know if I would be interested in seeing it. I told them yes and they said they would put it back for me. The drum looked like it just came from the factory with the original heads on it. I set it up on a kit and played it for a few minutes, it was a no-brainer. One of the best $75 USD purchases I made all day.

Dennis

I'd suggest that you could tell them you're Charlie Watts, but they wouldn't know who that is either. :]

Sadly, all of these are typical experiences in these places for me as well.

Isn't it nice to have someone who hasn't been alive longer than you've been playing drums telling you about what you need and don't need? Also - why does it matter to them what sizes you play - it's their role to furnish what you need.

When I come across this, I let them know that I have drum sticks older than them......

oh yeah??? well, i was bitchin' 'bout damn kids before you were just an itch in your daddy's britches!!! lol

This is why I don't usually go to GC unless it's an emergency or I have gift cards! I usually just go to one of the drum shops that are in the area, at least there, they will probably have the stuff that I need and I know for a fact that the sales guys at those drum shops are regularly gigging drummers!

Back