Cool Moment

M

Mike_In_KC

This weekend my guitar player buddy Joe and I were joined by a bass player I found on Craigslist. I didn't get a chance to meet the bass player before the jam at a neutral site- something I try to do with Craigslisters, so I was a little nervous when he pulled up. The guy gets out of his car and is a BABY! Well to me at least - the kid was a 19 year old freshman in college. The guitar player and I both have kids close to the bass players age - for reference...

Anyway after greetings and small talk we made our way downstairs to my "studio" and he plugs in. Joe and I had been messing with "Undone" aka "The Sweater Song" by Weezer so we asked if he knew it. Not only did he know it, he knew my part and Joe's part - and when we messed up he would very kindly say "want me to show you?" And then either grab my sticks and play the part perfectly on drums or grab Joe's guitar and play the guitar part perfectly - but with complete humility, not once trying to show us up or anything like that. As we played other stuff he continued to patiently and graciously help me out. The kid just ooozed talent and was not the least bit affected by a rookie drummer - in fact he complimented me several times - but the fact was HE was creating the pocket and I was following him! And it worked out just fine :)

I had not encountered a multi-instrumentalist in person before - I gotta say it was thrilling to watch the kid play. Major hat tip to the other multi-talented musicians here and everywhere. You impress the hell out of me.

MM

I will just cut and paste this from another thread:

When I auditioned for a Zeppelin/Plant tribute act I got to the singer's house before any of the other players did. As I was sitting behind the drum kit in walks this 18 year old kid( I have a 17 year daughter) who looked nothing like Jimmy Page. At first I thought "What did I get myself into?".

Turns out he is one of the better guitarists I ever jammed with and not only loves Zeppelin but loves all of the 1970 greats. And he sings, plays keys and trombone to boot.

Hey Mike, that is a pretty neat experience.
Being 20 myself, I'm glad to hear you had a good time, and that the guy didn't validate the stereotype of us youngsters being callous.

Cheers mate!

Back