Yamaha Live Oak OR DW Collectors

2bsticks

Platinum Member
If you had your choice, which kit would it be?

I play Oaks and really like them, thinking about a collectors kit in maple but never played them. Any of you have hands on with both?
Thanks, Drummers

I play Oaks and really like them, thinking about a collectors kit in maple but never played them. Any of you have hands on with both?
Thanks, Drummers

I've played them both. Oaks really cut through the mix. They are LOUD. I found them to be a bit harsh for my tastes. Kit was nice though. Good quality hardware etc. Limited finishes.

I have really mixed feelings about DW collectors. To me they sound a bit too muted, especially with the stock heads. It's almost like they're trying to make a maple kit sound like birch. They really should give some options with the heads I feel. I think DW's are kind of a one trick pony. Some people love them but they're not my cup of tea. Lugs can be a turn off for some even though it's a given that they're high quality kits.

As far as high end kits go, I find Sonor, Tama, Gretsch to be more versatile than DW's. To be honest, I'd rather have Ludwig Classic Maple than a DW Collectors. That's me though. YMMV.

I have a set of Yamaha Live Custom oak drums. Yes they are loud and a bit harsh. But so are rock & roll guitars.
So I use them when I need them for loud rock gigs and outdoor gigs.
I suppose with some Evens G2 coated heads or hydraulic heads it might warm up the sound. I have only tried Evans G1 coated heads on them.

I played someone's DW collectors set for one gig. Nice sounding drums. But they sounded a little boring to me. I don't remember how they were tuned or what type of heads they had. I know this might negate and nullify everything I just said but I'm sorry I just gotta say this, I hate the look of round drum lugs.... LOL

I have a set of Yamaha Live Custom oak drums. Yes they are loud and a bit harsh. But so are rock & roll guitars.
So I use them when I need them for loud rock gigs and outdoor gigs.
I suppose with some Evens G2 coated heads or hydraulic heads it might warm up the sound. I have only tried Evans G1 coated heads on them.

I played someone's DW collectors set for one gig. Nice sounding drums. But they sounded a little boring to me. I don't remember how they were tuned or what type of heads they had. I know this might negate and nullify everything I just said but I'm sorry I just gotta say this, I hate the look of round drum lugs.... LOL

I'm using coated ambassadors on my Live Custom kit, they do mellow a bit with them on. I think I'm staying Put......for now :)

All things being equal, I'd probably opt for the DW. The resale should be better compared to the Yammy oaks, and I could leverage that into something I really wanted.

These are Collectors maple. 12,16,20

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 93
Two different animals to me. You can get DW Collector Oak that would sound similar. Oak has more punch and is a bit louder than maple. I have played and owned both drums and I prefer maple. Both are great kits anyway. Just a question of personal taste.

Thanks, Drummers

DW collectors are great drums .. Really nice kick but I find the toms really ordinary.. and overpriced. i'd take yamaha RCs any day over the collectors

Without playing or hearing them, I'd go with the DW just on resale value alone.

At that price point, I'd be looking elsewhere (but that's just me).

I did, I never went with the DW, I did however trade in the oak kit for a hybrid maple kit. I had a hybrid kit a few months ago, let it go for some financial reasons. I was able to find another hybrid kit for a very good price on the used market. I loved the oak drums too, heavy drums :)

DW drums are very good, high-quality drums.....that are also overpriced and overrated (IMHO). They aren't as versatile.

Just about every other company makes better sounding drums for the money.

Back