Our dance band was hired as background music

Several years ago I came to the conclusion that I don’t enjoy simply playing drums per se, I enjoy playing gigs and I don’t like to feel unappreciated.
I enjoy rehearsing with a new band, it’s all new, progress is measurable, gigs are booked and get closer as time passes. I enjoy rehearsing new songs in a band because again it’s new, there’s progress, there’s the fun and excitement of putting them in the set to change things around. But what I really dislike is rehearsals “for the sake of it” or being in a situation where the gigs aren’t coming and the band has to rehearse to stay sharp, that to me becomes like walking on a treadmill and getting nowhere.
As regards how many people are in the room, to degree that doesn’t matter. To a degree. If there’s a couple of dozen and there are pockets of one or two people getting right into it and showing their enjoyment then that energy comes back to me.
There’s no way of guaranteeing ahead of a gig how many people will or won’t be there or or how they will react but I can think of a handful of venues that I would never proactively approach for a gig and in the incredibly unlikely event of them approaching us I would turn down. Horrendous load ins, low payment (often but not always indicative of a lack of respect/ appreciation from the person booking the band), late start/finish times and/or long enforced mid set breaks, a history of promises made and broken, poor audience numbers etc. jump to mind as reasons why. I’m an amateur and able to play 4 weekends out of 4 (and in fact for next year I’ve deliberately highlited in my band diaries one weekend per month where I won’t play so I can have family time) so I can afford to hold these views whereas if I was a genuine semi pro I’d be less able to.
I actually wish I enjoyed any and every gig but I don’t, perhaps it’s because I measure my success by the reaction I can’t get from a crowd as opposed to how well I play.

Woolwich, I hear what you are saying. My whole life as a musician has been structured around gigging, and if I don't have a gig on the horizon, I have a hard time getting in the practice room to practice at all. Fortunately between playing trumpet and singing, and playing drums, I usually always have something coming up.

I've never understood the practice room player - it seems like a whole lot of energy burned without any kind of extrinsic payoff, but then again, some people approach music from an intrinsic standpoint - they just do it for their own personal enjoyment. Me? I want to make money and play for a crowd.

Woolwich, I hear what you are saying. My whole life as a musician has been structured around gigging, and if I don't have a gig on the horizon, I have a hard time getting in the practice room to practice at all. Fortunately between playing trumpet and singing, and playing drums, I usually always have something coming up.

I've never understood the practice room player - it seems like a whole lot of energy burned without any kind of extrinsic payoff, but then again, some people approach music from an intrinsic standpoint - they just do it for their own personal enjoyment. Me? I want to make money and play for a crowd.

Interesting.

So if you found yourself on a desert island - like Tom Hanks in 'Castaway' - you wouldn't feel compelled to play at all?

The whole time I was watching that movie, I was thinking that I'd be hard at work hollowing out a log and testing out tree limbs to find the best sticks. I'd be occupying my time by seeing what kind of percussion I could assemble with the items at hand. And at night, with a fire roaring, I'd sit and bang out rhythms, taking solace in the physical exhilaration and spiritual fortification that only drumming seems to provide.

I think that if I truly was abandoned, the only thing that would keep me sane would be the ability to create something. Even knowing that no one on Earth would ever see - or, in this case, hear - it.

Maybe I'm weird. I love hitting my practice pad at home. I sit in a room, alone with a metronome, and just hit a groove for no particular reason other than that it feels great.

Don't get me wrong - playing for an audience is an unbeatable experience - but it's certainly not the REASON I play.

Why did Emily Dickinson write all those poems?

Interesting.

So if you found yourself on a desert island - like Tom Hanks in 'Castaway' - you wouldn't feel compelled to play at all?

The whole time I was watching that movie, I was thinking that I'd be hard at work hollowing out a log and testing out tree limbs to find the best sticks. I'd be occupying my time by seeing what kind of percussion I could assemble with the items at hand. And at night, with a fire roaring, I'd sit and bang out rhythms, taking solace in the physical exhilaration and spiritual fortification that only drumming seems to provide.

I think that if I truly was abandoned, the only thing that would keep me sane would be the ability to create something. Even knowing that no one on Earth would ever see - or, in this case, hear - it.

Maybe I'm weird. I love hitting my practice pad at home. I sit in a room, alone with a metronome, and just hit a groove for no particular reason other than that it feels great.

Don't get me wrong - playing for an audience is an unbeatable experience - but it's certainly not the REASON I play.

Why did Emily Dickinson write all those poems?
It's a good question, and I hope I've got a decent answer.

I think part of it is attached to ego - I like it when I'm in front of a crowd that appreciates what I'm/the band is doing musically. Getting that energy feedback from the crowd is like a drug.

Part of it is attached to getting paid for my talent, and the skills that I've spent years acquiring, honing, and maintaining.

Part of it is attached to the fact that outside of music, I'm a busy guy. I have a full-time 9-5 salaried job, a wife, kids, home, relatives that live nearby etc. I always have a lot of things on my plate, so I have to carve out time to practice when I need to, and I'm rarely idle.

There are times that I'll play drums just to play them, but overall I'd say I enjoy playing drums more than I enjoy playing trumpet, so it makes it easier to make time for that.

I was an active duty military bandsman for 10 years, and when I got out to pursue a career in the computer industry, I didn't pick up my horn for almost 18 months - I guess I was just burned out on doing it as a job. I did eventually miss it, but my kids were small at the time and I was busy with a lot of other things in my life, so I just didn't make a point to do it. I finally got into gigging again, but the side benefit of that has always been the extra money it brings in. I figure if I'm going to make the point to play an instrument or sing to make music, then I just as well get paid to do it.

I wish it wasn't that way for me - I wish I could be a practice room player, but that's just not how I'm built I guess.

Last edited:
Never understood musicians who disliked the vibe of people not dancing.

maybe it is because all my gigs are concert band, jazz band, and church.

Mmost of my performances were in band and orchestra or endembles im not used to people dancing and kind of get anxiety because im not used to it.

Back