Tony Williams lick from Tony himself?

Hanuman

Hey drum experts,

do you know where I can find a Tony Williams lick AKA BlushDa played by Tony himself? There is many variations and stickings around and it's fun to play but I don't think I have heard it straight from the source. Also Vinnie or Cindy or other greats playing it in a real situation would be nice to hear. Thanks!

For a blatant example there's the vid of Vinnie playing Manic Depression.

There's also this tribute tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5UO0OLDkQU

I think it's really one of those things that peope were able to disect early on and so it got a life oniy's own and gains more importance than it really should. They would call it a non alternating flam drag.

Get into your record collection and start listening. It's bound to turn up sometime. I associate it with his playing in the 70s, so maybe start with Believe It, Emergency!, Turn It Over, McCoy Tyner's Supertrios, or whatever. If you're just listening for one lick and moving on you're kind of missing the boat.

If you want to hear people copying Tony, listen to Cindy Blackman playing Vashkar, or Smitty Smith playing Nefertiti with Larry Coryell. I'm sure they play it on there somewhere.

Hey drum experts,

do you know where I can find a Tony Williams lick AKA BlushDa played by Tony himself? There is many variations and stickings around and it's fun to play but I don't think I have heard it straight from the source. Also Vinnie or Cindy or other greats playing it in a real situation would be nice to hear. Thanks!

At 47:47. Magical

Sonny Rollins "Easy Living"
Just about all the great Tony licks on that wonderful album.
Brilliant solo on "Hear What I'm Saying" !
A must-have for all Tony fans.

Back