Musicality and time lesson

Really good information. Thanks very much for sharing these lessons!

Thank you! Very insightful. I am using a metronome so much I think I would feel naked without it, but you have inspired me to try and practice without it to improve my timekeeping.

Toni constantly simplifies, educates and inspires.

Always use a metronome. but sometimes I feel very mechanical in doing so.

thankx again Toni

Toni constantly simplifies, educates and inspires.

Always use a metronome. but sometimes I feel very mechanical in doing so.

thankx again Toni

If you're feeling mechanical, it is likely because you are thinking about getting the note in the right place. That isn't really the point of a metronome - it is only to let you know if you are rushing or dragging. In order to play well, you have to 'think' at the speed of the music.

For this reason, I tell my students to use a drum machine or step sequencer to program in a more complex and musical pattern. It will be easier to tune in to and making it much easier to "think" in tempo and not chase the click. I especially like Step Seq on Kongregate because of the friendly interface and the reverb effects... I'll have my students program in the pattern they are working on, and also add in a 6 note melody on top of it of their choosing. 6 notes is arbitrary, but younger kids especially tend to fill up the screen and this defeats the purpose of using it in the first place :eek:

Back