Experiencing trouble with Ludwig P1728 memory locks

supervehicle

I ordered five of these recently from Drums On Sale, for my floor tom legs and l-rods. But upon trying them out, I found that they don't work! No matter how tight I screw them, they just don't secure.

What makes this all the more frustrating is that a P1728 lock came with my bass drum cymbal mount and it works fine. I noticed that, unlike the lock on my cymbal mount, the ones I recently ordered came with washers. But even after removing them, nothing changed.

I was wondering if anyone else on here might have experience with these. I'm thinking to return them, since I have no use for non-functioning locks. But if someone has a solution to suggest, I'm all ears.

I have ordered them from Drums on Sale in the recent past.
If you are using them on a 3/8"-9.5mm rod they should fit.
I have noticed that when the P1728 memory locks are new you have to really tighten them to a high torque when you first install them to conform to a locking fit around the rod.
After that if you loosen them you have to pry them apart with a screwdriver to move them on the rod for adjustment.
They are not the greatest memory locks in the world but they do work.

So I gave it another try, and they seem to be working now. You were right about having to really tighten them. I probably wasn't doing it well enough on my last attempt. Thanks Bob!

You're welcome. I wish that they made a hinged memory lock in that size :)

Back